Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Sep 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2285759)   #1
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer 35
No ignorance on your part Simon, just an obscure profession on mine

'Lean' was the word coined by western manufacturing experts to describe the highly efficient manufacturing methods employed by Japanese companies, or more particularly, by Toyota. Now, those methods, philosophies and management techniques are being applied to everything from healthcare to the military.
In connection with consultants, the word "lean" is always to be combined with "mean"
Old 9 Sep 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2285801)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oy, I resemble that remark.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2285891)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
as far as most modern manufacturing methods go 'Lean' means "(bareley) fit for purpose"

quality doesn't come into it, letalone longevity

45 year old Ford blocks will outlast the modern guts bolted to them even after 40 years normal service with ford guts

as for lean drivers, the engines get more punishment now than then, we're all FLF's compared to 40 years ago!
Old 10 Sep 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2286298)   #4
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ouch!
Methinks I should have kept myself to myself, at least regarding my job

Part of me wants to respond with a strong defence of lean, quoting myriad examples of it’s benefits, however, a larger part of me tells me this would be pointless.

However… being a consultant means it’s open season 24/7/365, so fire way.
It also means that I can race cars, so it’s a price I’m more than happy to pay, ‘cause racing’s what this forum is all about, eh?
Old 10 Sep 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2286301)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
S'ok. Zef's our pet luddite.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2286304)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Ouch!
Methinks I should have kept myself to myself, at least regarding my job

Part of me wants to respond with a strong defence of lean, quoting myriad examples of it’s benefits, however, a larger part of me tells me this would be pointless.

However… being a consultant means it’s open season 24/7/365, so fire way.
It also means that I can race cars, so it’s a price I’m more than happy to pay, ‘cause racing’s what this forum is all about, eh?
No...keep on racing, buying #35 cars and posting..but please don't tell us you are only 35 as well
Old 10 Sep 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2286442)   #7
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
However… being a consultant means it’s open season 24/7/365, so fire way. [/SIZE][/FONT]
don't worry, you are not alone, on one of my business cards I use the words: Transport Consultant...(it is actually in my profile here too....)
Old 10 Sep 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2286549)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the problems with consultants is they do tend to be expernsive.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:15 (Ref:2286558)   #9
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
One of the problems with consultants is they do tend to be expernsive.
but can be sacked any minute.....and as the saying goes, if you pay peanuts, you'll attract monkeys...
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2286563)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if they are self employed?
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2286569)   #11
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Even if they are self employed?
self employed monkeys?
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2286578)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
CONSULTANTS!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2287172)   #13
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Consultants charge you a large fee......to tell you what you already know!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2287173)   #14
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
what you want see confirmed from an "independent" source. These type of consultants are usually referred to as "alibi" consultants....
Old 11 Sep 2008, 15:28 (Ref:2287251)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

BUT it's best to have a second opinion. Right,that'll be £50.00 please.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2287301)   #16
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
You're not a proper consultant - a) you're decimal point needs at least one space to the right and b) it's ALWAYS + expenses!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2287313)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
[quote=terence bower]BUT it's best to have a second opinion. Right,that'll be £500.00 + Retyping +Expensives {ERROR INCLUDED}
I always give a discount to friends though John,its usually those b********s that rip me off.L.O.L

Last edited by terence; 11 Sep 2008 at 16:55.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 16:58 (Ref:2287317)   #18
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I always give a discount to friends though John,its usually those b********s that rip me off.L.O.L
A successful consultant therefore has very few friends....
Old 11 Sep 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2287318)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Oh,thats what it is.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2287330)   #20
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Oh,thats what it is.
my bank accountnumber is ABN.....
Old 12 Sep 2008, 11:12 (Ref:2287956)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This has become so way off topic, I've moved this lot to a new thread. Sorry, Pieter, no offence to you as 'owner' of this thread; your post was just a convenient cut off point. Of course, I'm not sure how much further you all want to go with this 'consultancy' discussion, but with the thread title, you can now go off on another direction, as you're bound to anyway, without going off topic!
Old 12 Sep 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2288000)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
or charge both parties for complicating what could have been a simple one to one consultation
Old 12 Sep 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2288024)   #23
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
or charge both parties for complicating what could have been a simple one to one consultation
I thought it was lawyers who did that!
Old 12 Sep 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2288053)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats me off the hook then.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 14:34 (Ref:2288108)   #25
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if this is a true story.........
A shepherd was herding his flock in a remote pasture when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced out of the dust cloud towards him. The driver, a young man in a Broni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses and YSL tie, leaned out the window and asked the shepherd, "If I tell you exactly how many sheep you have in your flock, will you give me one?"

The shepherd looked at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looked at his peacefully grazing flock and calmly answered, "Sure."

The yuppie parked his car, whipped out his notebook and connected it to a cell phone , then he surfed to a NASA page on the internet where he called up a GPS satellite navigation system, scanned the area, and then opened up a database and an Excel spreadsheet with complex formulas. He sent an email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, received a response. Finally, he prints out a 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized printer then turns to the shepherd and says, "You have exactly 1586 sheep."

"That is correct; take one of the sheep." said the shepherd. He watches the young man select one of the animals and bundle it into his car.

Then the shepherd says: " If I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my sheep?"

"OK, why not." answered the young man.

"Clearly, you are a consultant." said the shepherd.

"That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answers the shepherd. "You turned up here although nobody called you. You want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked, and you don't know crap about my business.
Now give me back my dog!!"