Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 18 Jan 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2108471)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good article on Frankie Cheng Congfu

Good article on Frankie can be found here - http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/...nt_6398049.htm

China is fortunate to have someone of Frankie's experience and ability at the moment. Unfortunately I don't see any other Chinese drivers following him for quite a few years. The karting circuit Frankie grew up on is now no longer used, and Beijing has a total of zero karting circuits! Shanghai has two, one of which has regular competition, Zhuhai has one, and the only other one I know of is in the city of Xiamen. With so few I cannot see a decent training ground for young drivers developing. There are no mainland Chinese drivers in Asian F3 or Formula BMW, and the few in Asian Formula Renault get well beaten by the Europeans that come over. To my knowledge none are competing in Europe like Frankie did in British Formula Renault, and I cannot see many being supported by their parents in karting like Frankie was. The culture here is very much focused around getting a good education and a stable job, unless you are an athlete in an Olympic sport in which case the government might give backing.

I'd love to see more Chinese racing drivers emerge like the Japanese did in the '80s and '90s (they are so competitive in international F3 now - just look at the Macau results), but I cannot see it happening. For the sake of A1GP I hope Frankie sticks around for the long term as if he doesn't then Team China will be without any decent alternatives.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 02:58 (Ref:2110287)   #2
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In China there is Formula Geely. But really not many have the ability to go overseas due to lack of competition experience.

Hong Kong has recently opened a permanent kart track called "Diamond Coast Kart Circuit" near Tuen Mun. Macau also has a kart track. Good drivers may come from these places and they can go on to FBMW, F3...etc.

Diamond Coast Kart Circuit:
www.dckart.com
Old 31 Jan 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2117780)   #3
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Diamond Coast Kart Circuit is a joke compared to Kartodromo de Coloane at Macau. Imo the problem of china mainland is the lack of more Cheng CongFu vision drivers. Race in the serious level and not in those crapy formula geely series.