Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Dec 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2346439)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pantano "abandoned" by F1 teams

Autosport.com has an article of Pantano's feelings toward not being considered for a seat. Watching Speed channel, the presenters all agreed that his age was his deficit. He handled the racers well this year. Also, Senna is not much younger than he is. Is he right to feel abandoned or is he being unrealistic, F1 does not hire 'old poor men'?
Old 3 Dec 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2346441)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not just about age. Bourdais broke into Formula 1 this year, and look at De la Rosa. He's not what you'd call a spring chicken.

Pantano has been around for a while and hasn't made the impact that someone like Senna with relatively little race experience (remember he didn't even do karting! This is a major thing in this day to be on the way to F1 without a karting background).
Old 3 Dec 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2346443)   #3
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think hes being somewhat unrealistic.

His claims of money overcoming talent are old news. Up and coming drivers for years have had to bring millions of sponsorship to get themselves anywhere. The difference lately has been manufacturer backed driver programs which had effectively replaced them, but achieved the same feat no less.

Trying to get a drive at 29 years of age though is a dead end street, especially as more and more young guns entering are leading to team bosses looking 10 years into the future for their lineups.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2346473)   #4
wapomumalo
Rookie

Spain
Galiza
wapomumalo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I think hes being somewhat unrealistic.

His claims of money overcoming talent are old news. Up and coming drivers for years have had to bring millions of sponsorship to get themselves anywhere. The difference lately has been manufacturer backed driver programs which had effectively replaced them, but achieved the same feat no less.

Trying to get a drive at 29 years of age though is a dead end street, especially as more and more young guns entering are leading to team bosses looking 10 years into the future for their lineups.
That's nosense.

Bourdays is older and got into F1 at his second chance. Unlike Pantano, the French was offered a second opportunity and a test drive to show if he can cut into F1 or not.

Pantano just laments that NONE of the F1 Teams had called him for AT LEAST a test, in order to be able to impress someone or leave by the back door...

The money talk sure is old, as old are pay drivers...that's not a fact that backs its existence, but just the opposite: it gives Pantano stronger reasons to blame the sport.

You don't want to understand it:

He won GP2 in 2008.
The second and third classified in GP2 have had their test opportunities.
If some of those two drivers get into F1, then Pantano has ALL THE RIGHT to say that QUALITY is not the first issue when entering F1...as the second is the first of Losers...

I'd add: F1 is full of mediocrecy...and Pantano feels it under his own skin.

We also must remember that Pantano has competed in F1 at Jordan 2004, and did well (as Glock did too) with Heidfeld as teammate.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2346487)   #5
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP2 bills itself as the feeder series for Grands Prix. That the 2008 champion cannot even get a Formula 1 test makes a mockery of GP2's role - regardless of whether or not Pantano is too old / not rich enough / been around too long (delete as applicable depending on your opinion) he should at the very least have had his bum in an F1 cockpit these last few weeks.

He may not have made as big an impact as, say, Senna, but he has an impressive CV and had proved that he can get the job done.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2346495)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I felt he was a bit too mistake-prone in GP2 this year given his experience for an F1 team's liking.

Quote:
F1 is full of mediocrecy
I think you mean mediocrity (?). If so, I disagree as I think F1 has a particularly talented field at the moment, with the close proximity in pace between team-mates partly a sign of this.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2346497)   #7
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nycuk, why is it a mockery? Every other champ has gone to F1 and every other runner up has gone to F1 in some role as well. Senna may well get a seat in F1 so GP2 has proven itself to be very useful to F1 indeed. The system seems to be working damn well and the reverse grids I bet make for some great racing. Alas, I do not have access to watch it.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2346498)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too feel sorry for Pantano, sure he's 29 now but thats still young enough to get into F1, just. I dont think Pantano would ever make a WDC, but hes certainly at the level of the likes of Heidfield and Webber IMO. If he doesent make it into F1 I think we will see him in sportscars however which is the next best thing.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2346499)   #9
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
I felt he was a bit too mistake-prone in GP2 this year given his experience for an F1 team's liking.

I think you mean mediocrity (?). If so, I disagree as I think F1 has a particularly talented field at the moment, with the close proximity in pace between team-mates partly a sign of this.
Indeed - I rate 6 potential WDCs in the field which is pretty good - and look how close the championships have been in the last two years.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 18:26 (Ref:2346594)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I get tired of hearing about who deserves a seat.

F1 is not a charity.

If the team bosses thought Pantano was their best opion, they'd sign him up, but quite clearly they don't.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2346596)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Pantano should have even been in GP2. If it was legally possible, I would install an age limit in GP2 (25 or 26 sounds appropriate) and ban drivers that have done GPs, but that would be difficult to under EU law (the first part especially).

Bruno Senna was failed by the car several times (if I remember correctly), and let's not remember had a good result taken from him by the Turkish GP being run by a bunch of incompetants.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2346599)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I don't think Pantano should have even been in GP2. If it was legally possible, I would install an age limit in GP2 (25 or 26 sounds appropriate) and ban drivers that have done GPs, but that would be difficult to under EU law (the first part especially).
I disagree.

29 year old drivers should be able to race in GP2 if they wish, but they shouldn't expect to walk into an F1 drive.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 18:37 (Ref:2346602)   #13
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems strange that he hasnt even been given a test. But he is somewhat a known quantity and his experience is the reason he won GP2 this year. If F1 was a bit dry at present then his GP2 title and experience would mean he would have been a better chance of a seat. The fact that there is plenty of quality in F1 at present the teams are not looking for a solid guy with experience, they are looking at a greener driver who may have more raw speed and potential to really make an impact.

Getting into F1 is tough at present. Who woudl you drop...in my eyes there is only one seat and that is at STR with Bourdais deserving a second year. Piquet jr and Sutil are the only other guys who could get the chop but they are safe for next year....
Old 3 Dec 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2346604)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Ron Dennis said a few motnhsd ago that there was no one outstanding in GP2 at the moment.

Pantano was in F1 temporarily then went back to GP2 to work his way back into F1.... But it doesn't walways work like that.

Once upon a time the winners of each major category could be sure of moving up a step based on their results. But life was a lot simpler then 20 years ago and there was a simple three step method to reach the top table.

Now there is not and a driver has to bring more than just results to the bargaining table. Age is not the only concern.
He has spent a long time (3 seasons?) in GP2. If you are goig to make an impact it needs to be in your first or second year and if your second year you have to dominate...
Pantano has been quick, competitive and is a very capable driver with a good CV but he is not someone I would be looking at for a up and coming youngster and not a potential team leader.

If I was running a sports car programme I may consider him although I would tend to go for a proven touring car driver for a touring car programme.

We get heaps of drivers now spending a fortune looking for a way to a paid drive as a professional racing driver... and it will get worse (harder to find paying drives ) in the current economic climate.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2346612)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
He has spent a long time (3 seasons?) in GP2.
Four seasons in GP2 and three in F3000.

So he basically won the title at his 7th attempt.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2346625)   #16
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo
nycuk, why is it a mockery? Every other champ has gone to F1 and every other runner up has gone to F1 in some role as well. Senna may well get a seat in F1 so GP2 has proven itself to be very useful to F1 indeed. The system seems to be working damn well and the reverse grids I bet make for some great racing. Alas, I do not have access to watch it.
I'm not criticising GP2. It's a great series and as you say it produces some good racing.

Until recently the GP2 website featured the prominent banner 'Formula One's Feeder Series' (this I noticed has recently been changed to 'Formula One's strongest feeder series'). What I'm saying is that I think that the champion of the series that exists as Formula One's feeder series should at least get a chance in Formula One, be that a test or otherwise. Or is this too simplistic?
Old 3 Dec 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2346626)   #17
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Four seasons in GP2 and three in F3000.

So he basically won the title at his 7th attempt.
Does this really matter?
Old 3 Dec 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2346632)   #18
wapomumalo
Rookie

Spain
Galiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster

Bruno Senna was failed by the car several times (if I remember correctly), and let's not remember had a good result taken from him by the Turkish GP being run by a bunch of incompetants.
Another nonsense talking.

Say it clear: You prefer Young mediocres instead of Old-winning drivers

That´s the same view as F1 has, young mediocres that qualify to F1 cause of Manufactureers-Team support.

F1 actually promotes invest-wise drivers over raw TALENTED DRIVER.

My point is then valid: F1 is and will be full of Mediocres.

But teams need experienced drivers to develop their cars, as youngsters do nothing but drive...thats why we can still see Genes, Badoers, Delarosas, Fsichellas, Barrichellos, Coulthards..etc..

Your point is hilarious...
Old 3 Dec 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2346635)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I see no justification to an age limit.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2346636)   #20
wapomumalo
Rookie

Spain
Galiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
I'm not criticising GP2. It's a great series and as you say it produces some good racing.

Until recently the GP2 website featured the prominent banner 'Formula One's Feeder Series' (this I noticed has recently been changed to 'Formula One's strongest feeder series'). What I'm saying is that I think that the champion of the series that exists as Formula One's feeder series should at least get a chance in Formula One, be that a test or otherwise. Or is this too simplistic?
Maybe the only feeder series that actually match its promises is the Renault World Series...from wich Vettel promoted into F1...the winner has the PRIZE of Testing a Renault F1 Car.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2346663)   #21
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
Does this really matter?
I believe it's relevant.

Last edited by Super Hans; 3 Dec 2008 at 20:07.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2346666)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes, it's not like he hasn't had a chance.

GP2 and F1 teams are under no obligation to give the champion a drive. It so happens that it's been a respected feeder series with drivers who were deemed worthy of the chance.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2346669)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapomumalo
Maybe the only feeder series that actually match its promises is the Renault World Series...from wich Vettel promoted into F1...the winner has the PRIZE of Testing a Renault F1 Car.
Alonso, Kovalainen & Kubica also came through via the World Series.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 21:01 (Ref:2346833)   #24
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Pantano could have won every race in GP2 this year and still be over looked, alot has to do with the appeal of a driver and marketing together with talent, Senna is a punt for Honda based on his limited experience but the gamble that he just may have some of Arytons qualities is not something Honda want to over look.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2346839)   #25
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ultimately if Senna wasn't decently talented he'd have no chance. His name perhaps got him a start but it won't get him far. How he does in f1 is anyone's guess.