Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Feb 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2386909)   #1
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RWD in line big torque gearboxes??

I have built a RWD Skyline (R33 GTS-t) with a pretty hot RB26 engine (about 650 BHP, strong on torque). The stock RWD Nissan gearbox is way, way overstressed. I can buy straight cut dog box internals for it, but the gear centres are really too close and the case isn't really up to the job. They aren't cheap either, especially with the weak pound. So.... I have bought a couple of auto gearbox bell housings, which, for this car, are separate and have a nice round machined hole on the crank C/L that fits over the oil pump of the auto box, and a sensibly flat face on the gearbox end, so ideal to put an adaptor plate on and hang another box off.... I now need to decide what box to to use. I am tempted by the spec of the Glebe 6 speed sequential, but it seems a very unknown quantity, if I knew a couple of people running them reliably behind big power engines I'd probably bite the quite costly bullet and get one. Nick even offered to do the adaptor FOC

What about alternatives, I've been spoilt by my FTR, in a Zeus sports racer. I never rated the idea of a sequential much, but hey, I have to admit, they are superb, and i would miss this feature. However, cost is a factor, although re sale value is important, too. So any ideas for an easily serviced, strong, nice changing 5 or 6 speed RWD gearbox for sensible money?

Thanks.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2386941)   #2
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holliger 6 sp, Sq or H
Jerico 5 sp

The cheapest race quality boxes you can buy
Old 3 Feb 2009, 12:46 (Ref:2387372)   #3
ian_w
Racer

England
Towcester
ian_w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tremec ( formally Borg Warner ) in the US do some pretty meaty units to fit behind V8s. Their TKO 5 speed is rated at 600lbft of torque and fairly sensible money as I remember. More of a road car gearbox than a race box, not sure what you are after.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2387389)   #4
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track day car, may do the odd race once the cage is done. Needs to be dog internals for cheap and fast rebuilds, really.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2387419)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
What about the 6 speed Borg Warner that they stick in the Corvette and the Vauxhall VRXV8 that must be plenty stout enough there was one on eBay not so long ago. I would suggest a good old Muncie or a Super T10 but only 4 speeds! ;-)