Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2009, 18:39 (Ref:2370095)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Sporting and Tech regs update

The (hopefully) final versions of the 2009 sporting and technical regulations.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regul...mpionship.aspx

Happy reading.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2371556)   #2
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Devilsadvocate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am slightly confused...

FOM site says...

"There are also restrictions on engine and gearbox use. Each driver may use no more than one engine for three consecutive events. If an engine change is required ahead of qualifying, the driver will drop 10 places on the grid for that event. If the change is made after qualifying, the driver goes to the back of the grid. A driver will not be penalised the first time he needs a replacement engine during the season, unless it is at the final event of the championship."

Sporting Regulations state...

28.4 a) Each driver may use no more than eight engines during a Championship season. Should a driver use more than eight engines he will drop ten places on the starting grid at any Event during which an additional engine is used. An engine will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.

FOM says three consecutive events, but the Regs do not "appear" to support this. Am I missing something here?
Old 14 Jan 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2371576)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe the FOM site has not been updated yet?

f1-live is running an article saying that only the gearboxes have to be used for 4 consecutive races, while engines may be changed as the team sees fit and penalties will only come if they go over their 8 engine limit.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...14101844.shtml

will be interesting to see if teams start reserving an engine just for the quali sessions and then mixing and matching races according to demand on the engine.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2371592)   #4
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Thanks for that.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2371670)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh yeah, thanks a lot, we all need this.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2371717)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsadvocate
I am slightly confused...

FOM says three consecutive events, but the Regs do not "appear" to support this. Am I missing something here?
The three engine rule means that no driver should need to use all of his eight engines during a season (3x8=24).However,should a driver have used up all of his eight engines with,let's say,three races to go,he will the have to drop ten grid places for each of those three races.

Last edited by Marbot; 15 Jan 2009 at 00:41.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 00:51 (Ref:2371723)   #7
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand that the penalty is only given for the 1st race of the 9th engine.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 01:22 (Ref:2371731)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh
I understand that the penalty is only given for the 1st race of the 9th engine.
It says: "at any Event during which an additional engine is used."

So could be.

Or is the 9th engine an additional engine for each of the remaining races?

Your car would have to be really unreliable to use all 8 engines in any event!
Old 15 Jan 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2371950)   #9
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The teams should only need 7 engines for the season - 17 races only need 6 engines at 3 per event, plus their joker engine.

This clearly needs further clarification.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2372091)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Apparently you don't have to use each engine for consecutive races.You can use the engine for Melbourne in Abu Dhabi for example! Or an engine that wasn't overly stressed in a wet race may be a candidate for three races where those races aren't likely to put too much stress on the engine.Drivers also don't have to use the engine they used in qualifying in the race.So we effectively have 'engine strategy'!

Last edited by Marbot; 15 Jan 2009 at 16:42.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2372102)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
A link to clarify above post.

http://www.f1network.net/boards/read...57501,10058232
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2372259)   #12
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

What I find interesting is that, unless the Regs get re-written between now and the season start, the FIA only seal an engine if the team are to use it at the next event. So if the team say they do not intend to, I presume they can take the engine back to the factory and do what they like to it?
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2372268)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsadvocate
What I find interesting is that, unless the Regs get re-written between now and the season start, the FIA only seal an engine if the team are to use it at the next event. So if the team say they do not intend to, I presume they can take the engine back to the factory and do what they like to it?
I would imagine that the engines will now be resealed each time they are removed from the car.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2372301)   #14
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the second statement could teams not say use and engine at one high engine stress circuit, put it in the factory then use it a couple of races at a lower engine stress circuit
Old 16 Jan 2009, 00:22 (Ref:2372400)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt
With the second statement could teams not say use and engine at one high engine stress circuit, put it in the factory then use it a couple of races at a lower engine stress circuit
Correct.

A highly stressed engine could be used later on at an event where it was raining for example.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 02:42 (Ref:2372441)   #16
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
Apparently you don't have to use each engine for consecutive races.You can use the engine for Melbourne in Abu Dhabi for example! Or an engine that wasn't overly stressed in a wet race may be a candidate for three races where those races aren't likely to put too much stress on the engine.Drivers also don't have to use the engine they used in qualifying in the race.So we effectively have 'engine strategy'!
But still, an allocation of 8 engines is still 1 more than they need if the FIA desired each engine to last no less than 3 events and still allowing the joker. Opening the allocation for all year is interesting and hopefully will work out better, but again why 8 and not 7?
Old 16 Jan 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2372502)   #17
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BREAKING NEWS:

The ‘pit lane closure’ rule has been abolished. From 2009 drivers can go into the pits to change tyres and refuel without incurring a penalty.

Source: F1Fanatics
Old 16 Jan 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2372530)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Rule 40.10 of the sporting regs confirms this.

And rule 28.4 fully explains the new engine regs.

Last edited by Bononi; 16 Jan 2009 at 21:23.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 21:24 (Ref:2372999)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 23:43 (Ref:2373088)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Wow.
This could be important Bononi.Pay attention.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 01:59 (Ref:2373152)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
More ?
Old 17 Jan 2009, 02:01 (Ref:2373153)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

We are watching you..
Old 17 Jan 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2373276)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Even McLaren aren't sure about the engine regs.

Specifically: "One of the points that isn't 100 per cent clear in the regulations is if you use your ninth engine do you get a penalty once, or every time you use the ninth engine?"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72845

Last edited by Marbot; 17 Jan 2009 at 11:34.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2373346)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Well if even the almighty McLaren isn't sure what to expect from the others ?
Old 17 Jan 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2373361)   #25
amdb7gt
Rookie

England
elland, west yorkshire
amdb7gt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin Whitmarsh also wants to know what happens if you have to use a reserve driver during the season does he have his own eight engines or use the driver he replaces allocation.

If not sorted before Melbourne it's going to be a nightmare.