Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 May 2000, 18:31 (Ref:7295)   #1
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Goodyear tires, at least the front ones, don't seem to be working to well. There must have been at least half a dozen flat front right tires at the Richmond race. Most of them leading to hard collisions with the wall.
Old 7 May 2000, 22:07 (Ref:7296)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodyear sometimes misses the boat with the compound of tire that bring to some tracks but give them the benefit of the doubt, they don't bring back proven tires year after year at NASCAR's request to help keep the playing field level. If they brought back the same tires as last year, then Pontiacs would have an advantage since nothing has changed in their aero package from last year. They could still use the same exact setup notes and pit strategies that worked from last year.
Old 8 May 2000, 01:24 (Ref:7297)   #3
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodyear can't make a good tyre to save thier lives. 7 cars...that's not one team pushing the envelop, that's a design flaw. And it's not isolated, unfortunately. What, 5-7 races last year when Goodyear was out ot lunh on tyhres, either bringing ones that blew or ones that were so fickle that they produced whoopings on the rest of the field by one car with a lucky setup. It looked as if it was getting better with the new generation pseudo-bias ply, but apparently not. Hoosier, Firestone/Bridgestone, BF Goodrich/Michelin would love to get into Nascar, but just another instance of France cahing the big check from Goodyear and looking the other way when there's a huge problem.

[This message has been edited by Heeltoe6 (edited 08 May 2000).]
Old 8 May 2000, 13:59 (Ref:7298)   #4
Redneck
Racer

Goodyear definitely seems to have a stranglehold on NASCAR.
Old 8 May 2000, 14:05 (Ref:7299)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With out any competition, Goodyear isn't forced to continually upgrade their tires. We have seen them fold in face of stif competition from Bridgestone/Firestone in other forms of racing. I heard several pundits remark that the drivers were all pushing the corners a lot. Well, hello. They do that same thing every week. You don't see that many tire failures at Bristol. I think that they were covering for the inadequacies from Goodyear.
Old 9 May 2000, 00:19 (Ref:7300)   #6
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Benny Parsons said on RPM2night that the problems related to the tires were a result of teams running too much negative camber.

Heeltoe6, forget Michelin. They are the absolute worst tire of all the big names I have ever owned. I had Michelins put on my car and in less than a year I developed a bubble in my sidewall. I have never had that happen with GoodYears, Firestones and others. Michelin is just good marketing.
Old 9 May 2000, 00:54 (Ref:7301)   #7
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know about street tyres, but MIchelin makes on bada$$ sportscar tyre.

As for BP, typical head up Nascar's rear comment. 7 totally diferent teams with different setups don't all run into camber problems. And as for brake heat, another thoery I've heard from goddyear, T. Bodine has only run like 40 laps, where did the heat come from. If there was so much heat then, the entire field should've beenn blowing tyres
Old 10 May 2000, 07:15 (Ref:7302)   #8
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was rumoured a few years back that Firestone was looking at entering NASCAR,at around the same time Goodyear paid tens of millions of dollars to buy a exclusive tyre supply deal for about 5 years,after Goodyears performance against Firestone/Bridgestone in other autosports it was thought they were running scared.

PS i agree with Joe about Michelins and marketing
Old 12 May 2000, 14:31 (Ref:7303)   #9
Redneck
Racer

Goodyear and NASCAR are sleeping in the same bed. I just don't see anyone breaking up that relationship.