Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2001, 09:11 (Ref:110659)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The Young Turks

How we all marvel at the competence or Bunsen, Kimi, Alonso and Bernoldi, the Young Turks who have taken F1 by storm. Who among us would have even dreamt that Kimi would have scored so many points in his first year, let alone in half his first season. These guys have proved the fears of those who said they needed more experience in powerful F1 cars before entering the F1 fray as totally unfounded. Or have they? Several experiened F1 drivers stated at the time that this will set a precedence. No one took much notice. Then now along comes Alex Yoong, a driver who I consider to be totally out of his depth in F1. Not that he is unproven - he has proven in lesser grades that he simply does not have the talent to be in F1. Will unpoven drivers continue to be allowed into F1 simply because his drive has been bought by a benevolent sponsor or government? This can end up with such a driver killing someone, maybe himself on the track simply because he does not have the capability of driving an F1 car. If the FIA gives Alex a licence to drive in F1, it will mean a carte blanche for any driver who can rake up enough money to buy his way into what normally is the most challenging level of motor racing.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 28 Jun 2001 at 09:18.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 09:22 (Ref:110666)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I am accepting donations effective immediately - please PM your credit card number for your monthly deduction for "Wrex to race in 2002"
Old 28 Jun 2001, 09:30 (Ref:110670)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This would mean you'd spend most of the year overseas right, what with racing, testing, learning to conduct yourself in public and digging yourself out of gravel traps.

In which case the nation is the winner and I'll contribute.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 09:40 (Ref:110672)   #4
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve Bounce,

I presume you know something about the guy which let you post this topic. May you share your info with these of us who isn;t such well-inform. What did Young do wrong to deserve your disapproval?
Old 28 Jun 2001, 10:12 (Ref:110682)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1 - We've never heard of him - how good could he be?
2 - In every formula he's raced in, he's done nothing.
3 - Currently racing in Formula Nippon - has not scored a single point.
4 - He is buying a drive that he could never win on talent or skill.
5 - Um ......... help.

I'm sure Mr Yoong is a lovely fellow, I just don't think he's ready for f1 at the moment. If Minardi are disappointed with Tarso, I hold grave fears for the performances of Mr Yoong.

Come on Paul, get an Aussie in there. If you're giving Yoong a go, what could you lose (apart from money) by giving someone like Andre Pavicevic a go. Who? Exactly.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 10:42 (Ref:110688)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by RussianFriend
Valve Bounce,

I presume you know something about the guy which let you post this topic. May you share your info with these of us who isn;t such well-inform. What did Young do wrong to deserve your disapproval?
Apart from what Mac has posted, there was another thread here that gave a run down of where Alex has competed. His lack of achievement was also discussed in Atlas F1 where I first heard of his possible of entry into F1 about a month ago, and when I posted this possibility here, this was soundly ridiculed with disbelief. Believe me Russian Friend, I am not making this up, there is another thread here, and also in Atlas F1 that details Yoong's lack of racing achievement.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 10:52 (Ref:110691)   #7
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe you VB. But it remailns me about one racer: his early results were terrible (several years in Italian Formulas without any score) and pocket was quite deep (because of his name).

Jacques Villeneuve. To his happeness his sponsors were wise enough to educate him before entering any serious serie.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 11:06 (Ref:110705)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by RussianFriend
I believe you VB. But it remailns me about one racer: his early results were terrible (several years in Italian Formulas without any score) and pocket was quite deep (because of his name).

Jacques Villeneuve. To his happeness his sponsors were wise enough to educate him before entering any serious serie.
OK, and this is my point. If Alex was given the chance to test drive in F1 first, as were the top guns I mentioned in my original post, it would simply mean that these guys have been given th chance to display their talents before being brought into F1 to race. So what would have happened to Bernoldi, Alonso, Bunsen and Kimi? Just one more year before entering F1, but we would have a system of checks and balances in place before someone totally incapable of driving an F1 car is brought onto the race circuit. This is all I am proposing.