Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2445667)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old ATCC race footage reshown today?

After a short time thinking of some of the great races many middle aged and up people are always chattering about, this idea popped in my head: Every Saturday or Sunday afternoon that is normally taken up with a midday movie or some show that (to be most honest) don't really have time for, Ch7 could show highlights or even full race footage from a round from the 90's, 80's, 70's and so on and so forth.

A good, bad or an ugly idea?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2445674)   #2
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good idea for us, a bad idea for any business trying to stay....in business.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2445870)   #3
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
After a short time thinking of some of the great races many middle aged and up people are always chattering about, this idea popped in my head: Every Saturday or Sunday afternoon that is normally taken up with a midday movie or some show that (to be most honest) don't really have time for, Ch7 could show highlights or even full race footage from a round from the 90's, 80's, 70's and so on and so forth.

A good, bad or an ugly idea?
If the TV networks thought it would work, don't you think they would be showing old football grand finals and the like?

That having been said, ABC2 digital channel actually did show old ATCC races (amongst other their other motor racing footage like F5000 era Australian Grands Prix) on its station on 'late night legends'.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2445899)   #4
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to watch old ATCC races, go buy the DVD series Classic Australian Touring Cars Races.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2445944)   #5
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
If the TV networks thought it would work, don't you think they would be showing old football grand finals and the like?

That having been said, ABC2 digital channel actually did show old ATCC races (amongst other their other motor racing footage like F5000 era Australian Grands Prix) on its station on 'late night legends'.
FoxSports do replay old Rugby Leauge grand finals from time to time.

I think thats where you would be more likely to see them (ATCC) pop up... on Pay TV in the wee small hours.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 03:01 (Ref:2446002)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part of the problem is alot of the old footage has (supposedly) been disgarded, although bits and pieces do pop up from time to time which makes you think the network has them stocked away somewhere (like when some 1979 Hardies Heroes footage appeared on V8Xtra in 2007)
Old 21 Apr 2009, 04:04 (Ref:2446011)   #7
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would love to see some of these races replayed. i've watched old video's heard the old stories and i love it.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 05:02 (Ref:2446028)   #8
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Classis Bathurst Crashes is available at most ABC shops goot old footage and some monster shunts as well. The stock a large assortment of dvd produced by cheveron media
Old 21 Apr 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2446443)   #9
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a great idea, and I don't think it's as unfeasible as some of the rest of you.

As Muznik said, Fox Sports are showing old rugby league games and cricket one-dayers, and back when the C7 channel existed a whole slew of old Bathursts were shown. Of course V8Supercars no longer has a deal with Fox Sports, and in any case I doubt they would be able to find any time in their schedules to fit old races anyway (when they have to start palming off NRL games to FuelTV...).

However, since all the major channels are starting to offer alternative content on their secondary channels, I think the chances of old races (or highlights of) being aired is better. They've got to start filling their secondary channels with content, so showing niche programs like old touring car races is as legitimate an idea as any other. Heck, ABC2 do it already! The concerts they've showed over the last couple of years are a good example of niche programs being aired that wouldn't otherwise be shown on ABC1.

How's this for an idea? On the Sunday afternoon of race weekends, the primary channel usually shows the racing from 12 followed by an AFL game, right? So what if, on the secondary channel, they showed a classic AFL game starting at 12, followed by a classic touring car race when the V8s finished on the main channel? There's already a core audience that's interested in racing watching the primary channel, so what better way of keeping them when the AFL comes on by giving them something to watch on the secondary channel!
Old 21 Apr 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2446505)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the Chevron DVD's I think are excellent and are a good substitute for any lack of reairing old races.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 06:18 (Ref:2446768)   #11
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I wonder if THIS will include any old Motor Sport coverage...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 22 Apr 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2447084)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
motorsport would certainly fit in with this channel, but being set up by a Packer/Murdoch company leads one to think that there'll be alot of League & cricket on there, and most of the content would be from the Channel 9 and FOX Sports archives

One hopes we get a suprise though