Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 26 May 2009, 18:53 (Ref:2469682)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glove question for the hillclimb fraternity

I meant to ask this last season watching the footage from Brayspeed but was reminded of it again - how come the hillclimb guys often dont wear gloves? I mean if you are going to wear fireproof overalls and helmets up to MSA spec surely you should have the gloves also? I know they dont carry a great deal of fuel so risk of fire is less, but what about the added protection they provide? If fire isnt an issue then I would have thought at least the grazeproof gloves used in kart or bike racing would be a boon for the single seater drivers at least, might offer some protection when sliding down the road with your arms flailing out of the cockpit.

I know the regs are a little more lax re homologation of suits etc in comparison to circuit racing but it just strikes me as wierd to see bare hands when theres all the rest of the safety equpment.
Old 26 May 2009, 22:10 (Ref:2469864)   #2
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glove footage

Just a pointer. The original footage of the hands on the wheel/gloves was mostly provided by 2T4T, ie. anything on Martin Groves, Paul Ranson, Scott Moran, Roger Moran, Graeme Wight Junior, Will Hall etc. and not by Brayspeed.

I think it is important to distinguish this.

Richard Dunn
McB666
2T4T

Last edited by mcb666; 26 May 2009 at 22:16. Reason: b
Old 26 May 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2469873)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regs don't require gloves (yet - think they're coming in next year) so most people don't bother. Of more note on the protection issue, the number of times I've seen cars roll with the driver either putting his hand out to try to stop it, or over his head is too many to count. In both of those events it's the wrong thing to do, but I understand it's an instinctive action not a concious one. So it would be really nice if the hand in question had a glove on it to at least reduce the risk of damage.
Old 26 May 2009, 22:52 (Ref:2469893)   #4
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think gloves are wise

AND I would regulate for Hans devices in anything without an air bag.

Seriously.

What worries me is the damage that can be done to a drivers hands by a few bits of sharp carbon fiber as they scramble from the scene of the accident.

I have a good scar on my left hand palm from a motorbike that went astray on me. I was wearing leather gloves on my hands,

but they're a cheap pair....

Last edited by mcb666; 26 May 2009 at 22:57. Reason: c
Old 27 May 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2470020)   #5
vauxypower
Rookie

United Kingdom
vauxypower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I might jump in here
I can understand what you are saying about the safty aspect. And I think that gloves along with the Hans device are actually becoming mandatory!!. Im not sure when though. But going back I wear gloves and my farther has both worn gloves and not worn gloves. And he says that by wearing gloves they reduce the feedback you get through the steering and the raw feel of things in your hand. I know its a buggar to do up your helmet with gloves (lol haa). I could only describe it as. Its like wearing big chunky shoe's whilst pushing the pedal's then wearing racing boots which mould around the pedals. The differance between a lot of feedback and then being slightly shielded from it. I guess at the end of the day its just personal preferance.

Thanks

Richard
Old 27 May 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2470036)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed but I think I would prefer to have less feel in the short term as opposed to less feel in the long term caused by burns, scars or worse. I know when I drive a kart without gloves (say after an off and coming back to the pits after a race) I feel really exposed.
Old 27 May 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2470429)   #7
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
I meant to ask this last season watching the footage from Brayspeed but was reminded of it again - how come the hillclimb guys often dont wear gloves? I mean if you are going to wear fireproof overalls and helmets up to MSA spec surely you should have the gloves also? I know they dont carry a great deal of fuel so risk of fire is less, but what about the added protection they provide? If fire isnt an issue then I would have thought at least the grazeproof gloves used in kart or bike racing would be a boon for the single seater drivers at least, might offer some protection when sliding down the road with your arms flailing out of the cockpit.

I know the regs are a little more lax re homologation of suits etc in comparison to circuit racing but it just strikes me as wierd to see bare hands when theres all the rest of the safety equpment.

I`ve heard this one before about risk of fire being small or even any fire will only be a small one...I would suggest to anyone thinking along these lines to go turn on a gas ring and put your hand in it for five seconds...burns doesn`t it?

Also this question of feedback....errr...how do the F1 boys manage then?

Its all a question of getting used to things, I echo other comments made by Woolley about protection in general...having had to deal with the consequences of drivers not wearing gloves I would urge you all to take the plunge now and get yourself a pair before you drive next...sorry didn`t mean to preach
Old 28 May 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2471161)   #8
LCM
Rookie

LCM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gloves? Gloves?

A gentleman (or indeed a lady) would always wear gloves in public. Particularly if one might encounter those to whom a satisfactory introduction had not been previously effected...................
Old 28 May 2009, 21:54 (Ref:2471246)   #9
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
You are either a fast driver or you aren't. If you are a fast driver, they could stuff you in a sleeping bag and drop you in the driving seat head first and you'd still win your class.
Old 28 May 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2471273)   #10
vauxypower
Rookie

United Kingdom
vauxypower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yea its just getting used to it. And with that in mind the reason why the F1 boys cope is that there used to slightly less feedback they have probaly always worn gloves so there used to it. But they can't really test for that as there reg's are "they must at all times wear racing FIA compliant gloves". Thus not letting them use bare hands. And to be honest I've always worn gloves and feel much more protected with them I specificaly got Fia ones just to be safe. in case of fire or just touching something hot by accident. But a little test for my self that im going to do next round just out of intrest is race with them and then w/o them. just to see !!
Richard
Old 29 May 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2471571)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
You are either a fast driver or you aren't. If you are a fast driver, they could stuff you in a sleeping bag and drop you in the driving seat head first and you'd still win your class.
I seem to recall you marshalling in a similar fashion once.
Old 29 May 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2471879)   #12
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
redturner37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
What kind of stupid reply is this to a serious question about gloves and the safety aspect. What differance does it make if you are quick or not, if the car is on fire you need gloves.
Old 31 May 2009, 06:01 (Ref:2472436)   #13
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a not-so-fast driver I think the glove thing is a good idea, and everyone will soon get used to them.
When I started hillclimbing in '91 there was no need for overalls, then there was, but thay was easy to adapt to as they were single thickness Nomex, then 3 layer seemed a good idea as I became quicker. So did a better crash hat.

I wear gloves today, but not Sparco (etc) type but thin leather ones. FAR better to drive the car than with bare hands.

Thick bulky gloves will be a pain to start, but easy later.
Tom New is using gloves now to get adapted I believe.

I'm not too sure of making Hans mandatory though.

Graham.
Old 31 May 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2472519)   #14
Darcia1
Rookie

Australia
melbourne Australia
Darcia1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gloves for open wheelers open sports clubman have been manditory here in victoria at hillclimbs for years its always been a safety issue i thought it would have been the same in the UK.......i was totally suprised by this
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2473342)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37 View Post
What kind of stupid reply is this to a serious question about gloves and the safety aspect. What differance does it make if you are quick or not, if the car is on fire you need gloves.
I think he was referring to the comment of drivers not wanting to wear gloves because it affected their 'feel' for the car, in the sense of it doesn't seem to worry the quick drivers whatever they wear. Full face helmets and Hans devices have certainly not slowed anyone at the top end of the sport, no reason why gloves should either.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2474998)   #16
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37 View Post
Fair comment. Not everybody shares our perspective on the debate.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 22:10 (Ref:2474999)   #17
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
I'm not too sure of making Hans mandatory though.

Graham.
At the moment, the cost makes it counter-productive for the grass roots. However, as the relative cost becomes more reasonable (which is inevitable as the volume of units and number of competitive manufacturers increases), then in time I will be inevitable, and rightly so in my view.