Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 20 Nov 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2586000)   #1
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Masters at Abu Dhabi in January

Masters at Abu Dhabi around about 22/23 January:

Apparently BARC are organising this but we haven't heard anything from them since e-mailing.

Can anybody give us an update on what is happening? If I'm going then I need to book the time off at work.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2586006)   #2
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if it's any use but there are some comments on this meeting in the Historic Racing Today forum - I think the thread is something like 'Abu Dhabi Jan 2010'. Mainly from owners / drivers - any use?
Old 21 Nov 2009, 06:17 (Ref:2586215)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's 21st to 23rd. Thurs/Fri/Sat. Contact Masters T: +44 (0) 1908 587545
E-mail: team@themastersseries.com
Old 21 Nov 2009, 07:49 (Ref:2586232)   #4
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I don't know if it's any use but there are some comments on this meeting in the Historic Racing Today forum - I think the thread is something like 'Abu Dhabi Jan 2010'. Mainly from owners / drivers - any use?
Try this..............

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...31#post2586231
Old 22 Nov 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2586997)   #5
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thank you - and confirms worries that it is all a little late in the day for booking anything.

Will give BARC a week or so but if nothing heard then will sort out January holiday as non-motor racing (Canaries? Madeira?).
Old 23 Nov 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2587889)   #6
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Madeira is a bit sweet for my tastebuds. I prefer bitter. Ive never drunk multiple canaries.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2589176)   #7
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to ''Masters'', this meeting is now cancelled. More info to follow!

Shame, I was looking forward to it.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 09:01 (Ref:2589493)   #8
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how many more "meeting is cancelled" messages will appear during the next year? Given the financial situation I was surprised that there were so few in 2009.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2589754)   #9
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryc View Post
I wonder how many more "meeting is cancelled" messages will appear during the next year? Given the financial situation I was surprised that there were so few in 2009.
I don't think there will be many, if any, in the UK. We are much more used to recession and pretty much know how to deal with it. And, dare I say it, it looks like things have stabilised and we're over the worse. But I do think the incredibly rich Gulf states seem to think they are immune to the global crisis and have just carried on spending. I noticed today that Dubai is in serious debt with regards to the construction of Palm Island & Dubai World. Maybe Abu Dhabi is going the same way? Does anyone know what major events are planned for Yas Marina? I know the Aussie V8's are due but don't know about anything else. Surely an operation of that scale needs more revenue than just a GP to keep it solvent?
Old 26 Nov 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2589768)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
But I do think the incredibly rich Gulf states seem to think they are immune to the global crisis and have just carried on spending.
I'm located in possibly the most boring one and yes it is about to go into deflation. But although things are slowing the portfolio here has been broadened beyond oil and gas so not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
I noticed today that Dubai is in serious debt with regards to the construction of Palm Island & Dubai World. Maybe Abu Dhabi is going the same way? Does anyone know what major events are planned for Yas Marina? I know the Aussie V8's are due but don't know about anything else. Surely an operation of that scale needs more revenue than just a GP to keep it solvent?
Of all the states Abu Dhabi is the one that started investing as the market turned down. John will probably confirm but many of the major projects that ADNOC (Abu Dhabi National Oil Company) undertakes are during world turndowns because they get things cheaper that way. I worked for them in the early nineties when there was a bit of a slump in the business. We built new offshore platforms.

Dubai has little in the way of energy reserves so it set itself up as the region's version of Las Vegas. Currently the high rollers are keeping hold of their cash, hence the financial problems.

Bahrain is similar but I believe a little more stable.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2590106)   #11
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Hadn't checked this for a while (away with work) so thanks for the updates. If I had any sense (ha ha ha!), I'd have worked out the link between the financial position in UAE and the likelihood of this going ahead myself - but as I don't.......

So it looks like I'll have to get Bill trawling the internet for somewhere warm and cheap for my holiday!!!!

Thanks guys.

(Mods - as far as I'm concerned, this thread can now be closed.)
Old 27 Nov 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2590225)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Shelagh.

Glad you dropped in.

The UAE has more than just Dubai but you'd need to do a bit more research. As a point of order the thread remains open, it doesn't need you to tell us what to do. I guess we're clear on this?

Good.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 17:57 (Ref:2590309)   #13
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
As a point of order the thread remains open, it doesn't need you to tell us what to do. I guess we're clear on this?

Good.
Bit harsh, you could have just said you were going to leave the thread open for a bit! rant over.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 27 Nov 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2590344)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
True.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 04:11 (Ref:2590565)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Shelagh,

I owe you an apology. I read your post in the context of the historics thread, which was clearly an error on my part. I quote below John Ruston's post from that thread which I hope clarifies why I thought your post was (incorrectly) out of order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It may not those people who are not reliable?

No one knows the real reason for cancellation, but we will,only [receive] the PR bit from Abu Dhabi.

.............. as it has cost many people serious money including [....] at Masters [....] and many of the Entrants ,Shippers etc..It's a pain in the arse but unless you get your ducks all in a row you can get screwed dealing with Abu Dhabi.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2590756)   #16
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Peter,

You'll have had the PM because I read that before this, but apology accepted - except for the bit about who decides when to close a thread. As this thread was my asking about something, and then getting sufficient information to answer that "ask", surely there is no problem in my asking for it to be closed? This must be a wider issue than just relating to this thread, and is a bit worrying - who "owns" a thread and can decide it has served its purpose???

Still like to know what "trolling" is - I'm not that savvy!!!!

Last edited by Shelagh; 28 Nov 2009 at 13:26.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2590758)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
From Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online ...
Old 29 Nov 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2591263)   #18
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what is a Goblin?

Bladders........................
Old 29 Nov 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2591271)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Teasmade?
Old 29 Nov 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2591300)   #20
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Teasmade?
brilliant - milk, one sugar please!!
Closed Thread