Old 15 Feb 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2633918)   #1
SeanBlue
Rookie

United States
Trenton Speedway
SeanBlue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't F1 cars have HUDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.canadiandriver.com/2002/10/16/auto-tech-head-up-displays.htm
The concept of Head-Up Displays is simple. Move the important information a driver needs to see up into their line of sight, so they don’t have to take their eyes off the road. To do this, Head-Up Display (HUD) projects the image so it appears to float in mid air, just pastthe front end of the vehicle. Now the driver’s eyes don’t have to refocus to see gauges and indicators, and then refocus again to see the road ahead. Studies made at the University of Berkeley, California, have found the timing between looking at dash mounted instruments and looking back on the traffic is about two seconds, whereas a head-up display in this configuration takes only 0.5 seconds.
I heard it is illegal because a HUD would communicate with the outside world and could be used to relay unfair information to drivers?

BMW made one for Ralf Schumacher's helmet in 2002 but then what happened? It looks pretty basic but here's a pic:

I'm hoping for something like this:
Old 15 Feb 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2634047)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would a HUD display not impare the drivers vision exactly where they need to see, i.e directly infront of them?

as it is most drivers will only glace occasionally at the information whereas the warning lights will be seen in their periferal vision
Old 15 Feb 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2634067)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Flashy. But what exactly would be the point though?
Old 15 Feb 2010, 23:23 (Ref:2634072)   #4
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't Herbert and Zanardi use HUD at Lotus in 1993?
Old 16 Feb 2010, 02:15 (Ref:2634139)   #5
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vision is limited enough in an F1 car anyway. Taking up space with graphics displaying non-vital information (and vital is probably best defined as "Where does the track go?" and "Where are the other cars?") doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 02:20 (Ref:2634143)   #6
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only useful information I can see a HUD displaying is things like oil, yellow flag zones, accident locations and so on. But they get all that information over radio or track side flags anyway, so what's the point? All a HUD is going to do is make the car/helmet a little bit heavier.

If it aint broke, don't fix it and I there are better things for the teams to spend money on.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2634238)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trackside flags are now shown by in-cockpit lights, too.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2634266)   #8
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HUD would have to be in the helmet, as the cars don't have much in the way of windscreens. that puts more weight in the helmet and more stress on the drivers necks when cornering.

Distraction could also be a big issue. I believe that the Dakar Rally cars have most of the dials/waring lights in front of the co-driver for precisely this reason.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 10:09 (Ref:2634271)   #9
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlue
So this is why Ralfy was slow? I heard hands on the steering wheel was a much quicker way to drive.

Last edited by nea; 16 Feb 2010 at 10:10. Reason: Guff BBcode
Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2634308)   #10
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure the drivers know perfectly well what corner they are driving around without having to have some more techno rubbish! :P
Old 17 Feb 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2635049)   #11
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post
...that puts more weight in the helmet and more stress on the drivers necks when cornering...
Until this past weekend, I would have agreed with you.

I watched the America's Cup races. (Downright thrilling, BTW. Spectacular boats!) The skipper of USA 17, James Spithill, was using a HUD built into a pair of sunglasses. How large or heavy could sunglasses be?

He wore a laptop in a backpack to drive the HUD, but I don't think the display itself was very heavy at all.

Apparently, HUD technology has come a long way while I wasn't looking.

Tom
Old 23 Feb 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2639217)   #12
SeanBlue
Rookie

United States
Trenton Speedway
so it is legal then but teams stick to the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" philosophy?
Old 23 Feb 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2639241)   #13
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgms320 View Post
Until this past weekend, I would have agreed with you.

I watched the America's Cup races. (Downright thrilling, BTW. Spectacular boats!) The skipper of USA 17, James Spithill, was using a HUD built into a pair of sunglasses. How large or heavy could sunglasses be?

He wore a laptop in a backpack to drive the HUD, but I don't think the display itself was very heavy at all.

Apparently, HUD technology has come a long way while I wasn't looking.

Tom
Interesting about the sun glasses. Wonder if I can get a pair for marshalling. That way I could have the running order up when flagging.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2639243)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They were so far infront the information could have been chiselled onto stone tablets...........
Old 25 Feb 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2640169)   #15
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
They were so far infront the information could have been chiselled onto stone tablets...........
Old 25 Feb 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2640369)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlue View Post

BMW made one for Ralf Schumacher's helmet in 2002 but then what happened?
Not that it really matter's but thats in accurate iirc. Schuberth made one that both brothers tried out, not BMW.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2640611)   #17
SeanBlue
Rookie

United States
Trenton Speedway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Not that it really matter's but thats in accurate iirc. Schuberth made one that both brothers tried out, not BMW.
"The display system was devised by the BMW Technology Office based in Silicon Valley's Palo Alto in collaboration with a local partner company specializing in electronics and with the German helmet manufacturer Schuberth."

I read up more and yep, the helmet itself was Schuberth.

"The system is located in the peripheral vision field of the driver's dominant eye. Thanks to the unique design of the system, the information is projected into the driver's field of vision without his having to actually look at the display. 'The eye very quickly gets used to this small spot and ignores it as if it were a tiny insect on the windscreen,' explains J'rgen Br'gl, project engineer at the BMW office in Palo Alto.'"

That's pretty cool.

(both quotes from http://www.gizmag.com/go/1468/)
Old 26 Feb 2010, 02:08 (Ref:2640664)   #18
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlue View Post
"The display system was devised by the BMW Technology Office based in Silicon Valley's Palo Alto in collaboration with a local partner company specializing in electronics and with the German helmet manufacturer Schuberth."
Wow! USA 17's other name is BMW-ORACLE 90, funded by Larry Ellison (Oracle founder and CEO, Silicon Valley) and co-sponsored by BMW and Oracle.

It's likely that Spithill's HUD sunglasses and Schumacher's helmet HUD have a common heritage.

Quote:
"The system is locate
d in the peripheral vision field of the driver's dominant eye. Thanks to the unique design of the system, the information is projected into the driver's field of vision without his having to actually look at the display. 'The eye very quickly gets used to this small spot and ignores it as if it were a tiny insect on the windscreen,' explains J'rgen Br'gl, project engineer at the BMW office in Palo Alto.'"
That also jives with a "one eyeball" HUD that would be suitable for inclusion in a pair of sunglasses.

When the commentator mentioned Spithill's HUD, I'd assumed that the system was the result of a large R&D effort, solely for the boat, pushing forward the state of the art. It sounds like they might have simply grabbed an existing off-the-shelf system instead.

Very interesting!
Old 1 Mar 2010, 10:44 (Ref:2642552)   #19
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgms320 View Post
The America's cup is turning in to a bit of a travesty really. The only competition is how much money you can throw at it (ring any bells). The boats should really be identical (or built to spec rules). That's the only way to have any sort of relevancy in the race.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2642911)   #20
Obi Offiah
Rookie

Obi Offiah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that in aircraft that are so equipped, the HUD symbology is focused at infinity preventing the pilot from refocusing as s/he switches scan from inside to cockpit to out front and vice versa. My understanding is that the systems used for road going vehichles are limited in this fashion. Perhaps for F1 its just not worth it?

Obi