Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Nov 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3165306)   #1
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Post Race Interviews

Am I alone on this?

I really don't like the post-race interviews on the podium, they're a bit embarrassing to watch (for me). Why do they do it? Seems to me the drivers don't like them either.

Anyone upset by this post, erm, sorry. No seriously, I'm sorry, really I am :-).

(will someone think this is "trolling"? [ whatever that is ]
Old 11 Nov 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3165311)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sometimes they're worse than the old ones; sometimes they're better.

Abby Dabby was brilliant because of the emotions running high. Although sometimes the playing to the crowd is more cheesy than anything, in the last race, it was better because they were more dramatic.

The music is tacky and I gather others don't care for the fake flags, but I think it's better than those godawful sterile press room ones. Plus, Ron can't make Lewis and Jenson stick on those fake race suits.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 23:34 (Ref:3165316)   #3
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
'For sure', I don't like post-race interviews full stop. They are usually dull. With the benefit of the internet, I can read pertinent post-race remarks when I want so I don't have to sit through the after-race speech.

The new approach is more entertaining and spontaneous but even less informative. It depends what you want from your interview but either way I'm pretty non-plussed.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 02:14 (Ref:3165342)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't like them either but nor do I like the formal post-race press conferences.

The best interviews are the ones in the sort of corral area by either Lee McKenzie or Natalie Pinkham. The drivers appear to like them, so they open up more.

What Kimi was said was typically him and seemed rather dismissive, but when he explained what he meant later it made perfect sense. He has won plenty of Grand Prix before and a WDC, so for him it wasn't such a big deal, but for the reformed Lotus (Renault) team it was far more significant. They're really motivated now to do well, not just in the last couple of races this year but for the whole of next season.

Somewhere I read an article with various team members and they were all emphasising this.

Meanwhile, the FIA has decreed that bad language on the podium is unacceptable: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104131
Old 12 Nov 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3165434)   #5
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
'For sure', I don't like post-race interviews full stop. They are usually dull. With the benefit of the internet, I can read pertinent post-race remarks when I want so I don't have to sit through the after-race speech.

The new approach is more entertaining and spontaneous but even less informative. It depends what you want from your interview but either way I'm pretty non-plussed.
"For sure". I like that. American English, it's the future.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3165439)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nope, i can't stand them either. and the new podium is silly.

i understand that it's a very good idea in principle, and good for the fans who are at the race too but it doesn't seem to work in practice. everything just looks and sounds awkward. and that makes for bad television and people changing channels away from f1.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3165443)   #7
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I think they are all a waste of time - all carefully massaged 'PR speak' and (for the majority of true enthusiasts like the members of Ten Tenths ) the truth will only emerge when the drivers write their autobiographies. I, for one, usually switch off.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3165463)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The only podium interview I've seen which kept my attention was the one Brundle did, which probably reflects the experience of live presenting that he's had (and the fact that he knows all the drivers fairly well). Some of the others have been particularly teeth-grinding.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3165480)   #9
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find most of F1 drivers' soundbites pointless, as having worked in motorsport PR, I can say many are just written by a PR person and nothing to do with the driver themselves. So, what's the point?

The good thing therefore about the podiums is that at least it's the driver's talking themselves. But, most of their personalities are pretty dull, so it's never that enlightening...
Old 12 Nov 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3165486)   #10
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me the new interview format includes the fans attending the race. I have only attended one F1 race live. The driver's received their trophies, sprayed their champagne and they were gone. Looking back, it would have been nice to at least hear them speak and answer a couple of questions. An added bonus is whoever the interviewee is...ie someone I can relate to like DC.

For the television viewer, the sterile interview room was something of the norm and much more informative especially with a skilled interviewer such as Peter Windsor. I always looked forward to the interviews.

The music is very cheesy in the current format, but again the fans in attendance get to listen in on the interviews where they did not before. We always read about the facts on the internet post race so I don't really care if this format doesn't always get to the facts.

Last edited by F1Pete; 12 Nov 2012 at 13:27.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3165489)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Getting back to my previous post about Kimi and how he didn't seem overexcited about his win last time out, I found the link to the reaction within the factory - here: http://www.lotusf1team.com/Enstone-E...e.html?lang=en
Old 12 Nov 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3165494)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't like them, but they're part of the show, it can be considered some sort of comedy with bad actors...
Old 12 Nov 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3165495)   #13
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now we've been through the inevitable storm in a tea cup over swearing on live telly, maybe the drivers will grow up a bit, and perhaps the interviewers will think of something more interesting/less ridiculous to ask than, "Are you happy to finish third?"

I'm farily ambivalent about them to be honest. I usually turn off shortly before they start chucking the Champers about.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 15:41 (Ref:3165523)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
... but again the fans in attendance get to listen in on the interviews where they did not before. We always read about the facts on the internet post race so I don't really care if this format doesn't always get to the facts.
i also think its cool that the fans that are there get to hear from the players involved. for the older fan it probably doesnt matter so much but for a kid in attendance i would imagine it to be a real thrill.

my one problem with it though is language. in Japan with Koby on the podium, i didnt like how he had to address his own people in English first. in his defense he tried to overcome that by translating his own and Vettel's kind words and that made it better but with a global sport and one where the drivers speak so many languages why not give them more freedom to connect with those who actually show up?

i know they get to answer questions in their own language later on and most people speak English etc so maybe im just being to critical.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3165666)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Now we've been through the inevitable storm in a tea cup over swearing on live telly, maybe the drivers will grow up a bit, and perhaps the interviewers will think of something more interesting/less ridiculous to ask than, "Are you happy to finish third?"

I'm farily ambivalent about them to be honest. I usually turn off shortly before they start chucking the Champers about.
That would be me too! So +1.