Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Feb 2002, 17:38 (Ref:220166)   #1
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Verstappen and Sauber

February 21 2002, Jos is visiting the Sauber Formula One team in Hinwil, Switzerland today. "The Sauber-Petronas Formula 1 tean has shown its interest in me as test- and backup driver with their team", according to Jos. "That's why I was invited by them for a so called seatfitting. There are some necessary modifications on the car to be made to make it comfortable to sit. At this moment we're checking out what changes they can make." To be continued

No this isn't just a rumour, it's confirmed on www.verstappen.nl (actually i translated it from an article there)
Old 21 Feb 2002, 17:58 (Ref:220176)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber was going to go without any test drivers this year but I guess with a driver like Jos the Boss going around without a drive it seems to be a good idea.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 21 Feb 2002, 19:01 (Ref:220217)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jos would do well to get himself in the frame at Sauber.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 19:31 (Ref:220237)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think its good for all involved. I'm glad that Jos has landed at a place that will appreciate his talent. It always struck me a s a dangerour propostion for Sauber that the went last season without a test driver/reserve driver. Despite Massa's speed in testing, i have my doubts about his potential. This signing is a wise insurance move for Sauber.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 01:22 (Ref:220424)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i'm convinced it's the real deal! try seeing here http://www.sauber-petronas.com/en/home.php

although there's no confirmation in sauber's website but try visiting their forum and see what the members had to say in there....don know whether it's the real jos or not asking the members in there to slow down on the topic..

But i think it's not a confirm deal yet...

Whatever it is i'm a big fan of sauber petronas and very excited to hear that jos is joining them..so massa watch out!

Last edited by Jukebox; 22 Feb 2002 at 01:29.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 02:23 (Ref:220440)   #6
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kinda ironic to see Jos out of a drive this season. If I recall, last season he was bad mouthing Bernoldi accusing him of being the worst ever team mate he had and hoping that Bernoldi would not be in the team the following season. Looks like Bernoldi had the last laugh on that one, Jos

The Sauber move is nice but he would be better of at Toyota - since Mcnish's seat looks to be rather shaky at the moment..
Old 22 Feb 2002, 03:00 (Ref:220450)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
why is everybody convinced that mcnish's seat is shaky or whatever?? it's not like salo has totally embarrassed him or something!

answers on a postcard please.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 05:06 (Ref:220484)   #8
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McNish...he's 33 & the oldest rookie this season but he's the most experienced of them all as he has had test roles for McLaren and Benetton before plus numerous poles in F3000 and won the 2000 American Le Mans Series, . He's good for another 2 years, give him some slack as he's been waiting for a F1 drive all his life and he deserves it more than the other rookies in the line-up.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 05:33 (Ref:220486)   #9
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Kinda ironic to see Jos out of a drive this season. If I recall, last season he was bad mouthing Bernoldi accusing him of being the worst ever team mate he had and hoping that Bernoldi would not be in the team the following season. Looks like Bernoldi had the last laugh on that one, Jos

The Sauber move is nice but he would be better of at Toyota - since Mcnish's seat looks to be rather shaky at the moment..
Jos said he was'nt a good teammate, he never said he was'nt a good driver. Bernoldi was'nt doing his part of the work in the beginning of the season, while Jos was busy talking to the engineers for hours after the practice sessions, Bernoldi was behind his lap top(on the net), he also did'nt share any info with Jos at the time, so that is what he was talking about, BTW: if Arrows did'nt have financial problems it would have been Bernoldi on his way out, the red Bull backing is the only reason they chose him over Jos.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 05:55 (Ref:220490)   #10
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Kinda ironic to see Jos out of a drive this season.
We're getting used to it.
Remember he was also without a drive at the start of the '99, '98 and '94 seasons.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 12:40 (Ref:220618)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
We're getting used to it.
Remember he was also without a drive at the start of the '99, '98 and '94 seasons.
he did have a drive in the beginning of 94(Benetton), but after 5 races in 95 Simtek went broke.
Old 23 Feb 2002, 10:59 (Ref:221168)   #12
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
he did have a drive in the beginning of 94(Benetton), but after 5 races in 95 Simtek went broke.
As far as I remember, he was a test driver, temporarily replacing Lehto.
Old 23 Feb 2002, 11:35 (Ref:221180)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, since there are no more race seats, Verstappen should (or would) be happy to get his butt behind the wheel of any car this year.

If the Sauber rumour is true, could he be in line for a seat with the Swiss team next year, depending on this years outcome?
Old 23 Feb 2002, 12:29 (Ref:221204)   #14
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Well, since there are no more race seats, Verstappen should (or would) be happy to get his butt behind the wheel of any car this year.

If the Sauber rumour is true, could he be in line for a seat with the Swiss team next year, depending on this years outcome?
it's not a rumour, Jos has been to the Sauber factory on thursday, he confirmed it himself on www.verstappen.nl and says there is a 95% chance the deal goes through on www.rtlgrandprix.nl
Old 23 Feb 2002, 12:31 (Ref:221206)   #15
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Jos was sacked at Arrows, Red Bull Holland protested against it but said it couldn't do much. Now Jos seems to go to Sauber, is it coincidence that Red Bull is there as well?
Old 23 Feb 2002, 12:55 (Ref:221212)   #16
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by Stranger
When Jos was sacked at Arrows, Red Bull Holland protested against it but said it couldn't do much. Now Jos seems to go to Sauber, is it coincidence that Red Bull is there as well?
I think so, Peter Sauber was interested in Jos before(96/97 and 2000)