Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 1 Apr 2002, 14:47 (Ref:292244)   #1
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Attack the post, not the poster.

This is "supposedly" the rule in the F1 forum. So why, may I ask, is there all this childish bickering and name calling that goes on during heated arguments. Are people really incapable of expressing their opinions and arguing with other people withought resorting to insults.

The F1 forum has really gone down the wayside lately with people who go there and polute the atmosphere with their abusive language and condescending treatment.

We might as well change the rule to, forget the post, go straight to the poster .

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 1 Apr 2002 at 14:47.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 15:07 (Ref:292259)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well an answer would be to spark an argument..........

what r the mods doing?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 1 Apr 2002, 15:15 (Ref:292253)   #3
Crank Case
Racer

Crank Case should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must say I've been away a while and things have certainly changed round here.
What happened to all the regulars?
Old 1 Apr 2002, 19:20 (Ref:292233)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will say in my defense and Bononi's as well, that we cannot always keep up. I don't like the tone of the place any better any better.

I will say that we all have to be vigilant. If you think some one is out of line, don't hesitate to say so.

I find that the forum goes in cycles and that peaceful times are bracketed by acrimony and personal attacks. All I can suggest is that we not slide into the morass and let those who sully the place, knoew that we don't approve. Sooner or later, they leave or clean up their act.

I would rather let a marginal comment slide than edit a post. But if you find something objectionable, let us know with the warning button.

It really takes us all to keep this a good place.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 20:18 (Ref:292235)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I freely admit that I got dragged into this melee. I'll be honest, the poor quality of posting since Malaysia in the F1 room has riled me and made ME the aggressor in the stupid merry-go-round of topics along the lines "I wish TGF would go die" or "trow Montoya in the sea" (I paraphrase, but you get the gist).

What can we do?? Because there HAS been some silly posts. And, despite trying to be liberal, one thing I'm not particular in favour in society is "free speech". Well, I AM, of course, but dumb posts like this only seem to back up that point.

Am I writing utter wibble in this post?? I'm just writing what I'm thinking. Perhaps that's what gets people into trouble?? Perhaps that's what makes this forum so good?? I dunno.....
Old 1 Apr 2002, 20:28 (Ref:292251)   #6
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm sure there are plenty of people who could help. I've got a lot of time on my hands (hint hint )

I have noticed there are rather a lot of people invading recently, and now I think I post more in the Gravel trap, which seems to be more peaceful these days...
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 1 Apr 2002, 20:58 (Ref:292236)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2492 and not even so much as a hint, my friend Not that I'd deserve to be, you understand.....
Old 1 Apr 2002, 22:05 (Ref:292254)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand the problems that EERO and Bon are having, its hard to keep up because they seem to be everywhere!!
Old 2 Apr 2002, 06:27 (Ref:292239)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The F1 forum must IMO be the most demanding forum on 10 Tenths to moderate, and compliments to Eero and Bononi for doing such a great job.

Like Eero says, it goes in cycles. Obvious flame bait threads can sometimes be avoided just by looking at the heading - threads like "Hah hah hah, Montoya's mistake" I won't even open.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 10:52 (Ref:292245)   #10
Raoul Duke
Veteran

I have tried reporting abusive messages before, didn't work. I have also tried telling other posters that I thought their behaviour was unacceptable, didn't work either.

All I can say is that I am very thankfull that I don't have to deal with the same types of people in real life as I do on the internet. Otherwise life would be very unpleasant for me.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 2 Apr 2002 at 10:53.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 11:08 (Ref:292258)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Raoul, you probably do, you just don't know about it.

IME people who are perfectly pleasant IRL can become extremely unpleasant on the internet. For some reason, they seem to feel they either cannot be identified, or in some way, civilised behaviour suddenly ceases to apply to them in a virtual environment.

Sad but true.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 11:56 (Ref:292230)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've dropped off the F1 board for two reasons -- first because I've pretty much given up F1 (who wants to see the WWF on a race track?) and second because apparently your only choice these days is pro or anti Michael Schumacher. There's only so much you can say about him before you run out of, er, adjectives.

However, should the current trend steward-wise continue, you can expect to hear more of it. People are honestly disgusted and they don't know how to express themselves in a proper way since the Sixties encouraged people to "let it all hang out."

I don't get involved in discussions with people who think "you suck" is an argument. That is a fight.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 12:06 (Ref:292234)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
I understand the problems that EERO and Bon are having, its hard to keep up because they seem to be everywhere!!

Just don't turn around too fast, I'm right behind you.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 13:52 (Ref:292255)   #14
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Raoul I have ALWAYS been heard when I press the Warn button.
R, you're right. Me, and myself must avoid flame baits. Free speech is to know when you MUST remain silent.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 05:37 (Ref:292241)   #15
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

EERO and Bononi: Thanks!

Suddenly, the F1 forum is a fun place to hang around, like it used to be in the past.

Well done!
Old 4 Apr 2002, 07:15 (Ref:292260)   #16
DavyboyLT1
Racer

DavyboyLT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EERO and Bononi: I don't envy you, the job that you have on the F1 forum.
Attack the post, not the poster. That's a motto I intend to live by on 10-tenths.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 03:07 (Ref:292252)   #17
AAReagles
Rookie

AAReagles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup... I agree.

Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
EERO and Bononi: Thanks!

Suddenly, the F1 forum is a fun place to hang around, like it used to be in the past.

Well done!
Here here! I second that. I'm afraid that I am unable to visit the forums often these days, and when I do, I usually spend time at another forum I've enjoyed until it started going down the tubes a bit, late last year. Fortunately the Mods there, like here, done a good job of maintaining integrity of the forum while providing the ability for members to express themselves. So I spend my time there, but have equally visited this site lately, since I seen a decline in the slags/insults being exchanged here, of what I remember some time ago, last year. All forums go thru that at times, it's just nice to see that when necessary, corrections are made by the Mods/Admin, no matter how difficult the task is.

I've noticed one member has been banned, and though I had enjoyed what I read of his postings and thought it rather sad to discover his dismissal, I understand the Mods'
position of maintaining the forum. It's unfortunate when such circumstances present themselves that disciplinary action is deemed necessary, but I understand why. I have confidence in the Mods here, as I do at the other site. And am glad I don't have to do it, and grateful they take the time and effort to keep things running as smoothly as possible for everyone to enjoy this site and engage in forum.

So thanks again folks. Always nice to find a place to have reasonable and interesting discussions about the sport.
Old 4 May 2002, 05:55 (Ref:292242)   #18
Aussiefan

Taken from the 10-10ths FAQ

"What behaviour is expected of me ?
You agree, when you originally registered for the forum, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You also agreed not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you."

Perhaps this message should put on the main page of the F1 forum.

Old 11 May 2002, 20:13 (Ref:292256)   #19
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
I will say that we all have to be vigilant. If you think some one is out of line, don't hesitate to say so.

i totally agree EERO, however when some people come in and try to cool the argument, certain ring leaders of anti-social comments somehow draw them in to the fray...its going to take more then lightly chastising these anti-social members. hard action unfortunately must be taken before some people learn from their mistakes as has been the case in the past.

Raoul, you have certainly posted something that has been voiced by several people including myself for a long time. this isnt something that has happened overnight, it has been happening since the Aussie GP IMO - or that is when i first really took notice of it at first. beleive me, it is so easy to get dragged into these really petty and *****y arguments. The problem is, is that more and more people have been getting into this argument - thought it has certainly cooled down a hell of a lot since Brazil however i do not know how many posts have been pulled so i cannot say wether this is correct or not.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 11 May 2002, 22:24 (Ref:292240)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
I have tried reporting abusive messages before, didn't work.
Since this thread has been put up the page again, and I've become one of the moderators of the F1 forum since this post was made, I want to comment on this. What happens when you press the "warn" button, is that an email is being sent to all moderators of that forum. When that happens, we'll certainly be taking a look at that post - and take action if necessary.

If it "didn't work", it could mean that the situation had calmed down before any of the moderators actually got to that thread. As late as today, I read a thread where people stepped over the limits, but where later posts (with smilies, etc.) showed that things had calmed down. If I were to intervene then - and draw attention to what had been said 10-15 posts earlier - it would only mean stirring the bad emotions again, quite the contrary of the intention. So sometimes, doing nothing serves the purpose better than intervening, if things are calm again in spite of a few previous comments out of order.
Old 12 May 2002, 01:32 (Ref:292231)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheer up, perhaps the racing will get interesting again and then the kids won't fight. You know that boredom is what causes most of the trouble.
Old 12 May 2002, 07:30 (Ref:292246)   #22
Raoul Duke
Veteran

I guess I originally started this thread because I was, and still am, getting pretty fed up with the arrogance and self-rightiousness of certain members on this forum who think their opinions are the be all and end all of everything, and anybody who dares to dissagree with them are ignorant morons. That is a pattern of behaviour wich I notice is fairly consistant with certain members(withought mentioning any names).
Old 12 May 2002, 08:31 (Ref:292261)   #23
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have you stopped and thought for a moment that the people you are talking about might maybe see the opinions from "the other side" the same way that you see theirs?????
Old 12 May 2002, 08:38 (Ref:292247)   #24
Raoul Duke
Veteran

There is a difference in the way one responds to opposing views. I don't believe I have ever accused someone of being ignorant or one sided because they didn't share my opinions.
The only thing I ever recall saying was how I thought it was pretty stupid to dismiss either RS or JPM as being capable of winning the WDC, but that comment was directed at BOTH the Ralf and JPM camps.
Old 12 May 2002, 09:07 (Ref:292262)   #25
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
people have different ways of responding.
you have to understand that people come from different cultures and what seems appropriate to them, might not seem appropriate to others.the ideology of a north american is different to the ideology of a brit, or an aussie, or whoever, and this is something we have to consider when perusing the posts.
if people think RS or JPM is a "chump" or whatever, that is there opinion and whilst someone else might not like it or respect it, it is someones opinion, and that fact itself should be respected.
believe me, this forum is very tame compared to some others!!!
Closed Thread