Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 2 Jun 2000, 12:20 (Ref:14739)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm off to Cadwell Park this weekend.. but then that's it for motorsport for June!! Am I missing something?? Ok, going to watch Zimbabwe v WI next weekend, but what about the other weekends.. I don't think I can last to 1 July at Combe (sorry Peter).. Where should I be??

For those Combe fans, I shall check out how Julian Howell is getting on in Monoposto's this weekend...
Old 2 Jun 2000, 12:22 (Ref:14740)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just realised that I'm going back to Cadwell at the end of the month for a 750 MC meeting.. So it's not so bad after all, I won't have to spend 3 successive weekends with the girlfirend..
Old 2 Jun 2000, 18:43 (Ref:14741)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Combe off it Dan!!!

How about the MG Car Club International meeting at Silverstone on 16th to 18th June. Racing on Saturday and Sunday. Loads of vintage, classic and modern MGs and a chance to see what you could do with your Midget.

And.............. more spares and comp bits for sale than you can shake a stick at.

Apologies that its not Combe though!!!
Old 2 Jun 2000, 19:06 (Ref:14742)   #4
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No racing in the south west of england!! :0
What can i do??????????????????????
I have been promising myself a trip to the power tour, so that may be on at some point.
Old 3 Jun 2000, 13:54 (Ref:14743)   #5
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Coys in June?

Has anyone seen the latest T&CC? First of all, I bought it for the Miuras but then a small pic on the Goodwood FoS page caught my eye. The XJ13 is going up the hill

Now where's that roadmap...
Old 3 Jun 2000, 13:57 (Ref:14744)   #6
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone here go to, or has been to, the Yeovil Festival of Transport, which is in late June or early July, I think?
Old 3 Jun 2000, 16:56 (Ref:14746)   #7
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good plan
Old 3 Jun 2000, 19:20 (Ref:14747)   #8
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know where I'll be one weekend in June, the Goodwood Festival of Speed is a must this year
Old 3 Jun 2000, 20:40 (Ref:14749)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like I shall be too.

And June is the month that the Aston Martin Owners Club get cracking. Tomorrow (Sunday) is their Donington meet, with the usual Intermarque, Ferrari Challenge, Formula 5000, and the 1980s Group C Sports Cars.

Guess who will be letting his VCR tape Monaco again.

And the 24th is the StJohn Horsfall meeting at Silverstone. Hopefully they'll have better conditions than last year, when they achieved a grand total of a lap and a half of racing before the red flag.

Never heard of the StJohn Horsfall? Well, if I told you that the racing we did get was led by Win Percy in a Jag XJ220, followed by Gerry Marshall in an Aston V8 Vantage, and the stoppage was caused by an AC Cobra and a Porsche Carrera RS in the wall...
Old 3 Jun 2000, 22:33 (Ref:14750)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's also the BARC/CSCC Classic Package at Lydden on the 18th. However your resident Capri racer won't be going because frankly, he can't be @rsed to travel all that way for the possibility of poor organisation stopping the race because of overtaking. I kid you not. The drivers were reprimanded last year for exactly that.
Old 4 Jun 2000, 23:19 (Ref:14751)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Cheers for all the ideas - but after my weekend at Cadwell, I don't think I could take much more... Legends everywhere and one Renualt 5 in the spectator area after rolling about 8 times, one dead car.. Just glad that there wasn't anyone standing close by!!

It's just a fantastic circuit, can't wait until the end of the month.. Everyone should go..

Thanks for everyone's ideas, MG day at Silverstone sounds interesting..
Old 5 Jun 2000, 12:10 (Ref:14752)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Friel:
.... and one Renualt 5 in the spectator area after rolling about 8 times, one dead car.. Just glad that there wasn't anyone standing close by!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did the Renault roll at Park, because thats where I put a Group 1 capri into the spectator area in '95. Scary.

Cadwell is a great driver's circuit but you need to be extra smooth to get the best out of it. Where were you marshalling?

Actually the MGCC weekend is turning into a bit of a "Coys" for MG's. Its always good fun. I may even see you there.

Old 5 Jun 2000, 12:45 (Ref:14753)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Marshalled at Mansfield and also Charlies Out (on the inside) at the same time, due to there being about 20 marshals (total)..

Renualt lost it through the Goose neck, ran wide, over corrected, sideways, gravity took hold and it started bounching down towards us, then pinged over the tyre way, narrowly missing a telegraph pole and a transit van... bosh and petrol everywhere. But everyone all ok.. phew.

Excellent circuit, brilliant corners, marshalled at Park last year - very quick at the end of the straight.. Can't beat the Hall Bends though.
Old 15 Jun 2000, 10:00 (Ref:17393)   #14
daved
Rookie

daved should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flaming June

a good month coming up ,a baking weekend at lyden on the 18th ,Silverstone on the 24th and Coys in July
Old 15 Jun 2000, 11:43 (Ref:17409)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
DaveD.

Are you racing at Lydden this weekend? If so, do I know you? I always avoid Lydden these days because its a long way from home and I find the porganisation a little archaic.

However a lot of my fellow compatitors will be there this weekend so I hope all goes well.

Me? I'm off to watch the MGs at Silverstone.
Old 15 Jun 2000, 11:54 (Ref:17412)   #16
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Seems very strange to me that the MGOC championships are at Thruxton this weekend - while there's a big MG party happening at Silverstone... I presume Silverstone is being run by the MG Car Club, and don't like the MGOC coming along.. Can't make it to Silverstone - doing too many miles in Midget at the moment, but Thruxton is just down the road..

Never been to Lydden, looks a pretty fun circuit, but a bit old fashioned - and I bet the accidents can be large.. Are McLaren still going to kill it off?? I always thought that if you made the effort to go to Lydden, you might as well keep going to Spa - which isn't much further!!!!
Old 15 Jun 2000, 12:06 (Ref:17417)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Friel
Seems very strange to me that the MGOC championships are at Thruxton this weekend - while there's a big MG party happening at Silverstone... I presume Silverstone is being run by the MG Car Club, and don't like the MGOC coming along.. Can't make it to Silverstone - doing too many miles in Midget at the moment, but Thruxton is just down the road..

Never been to Lydden, looks a pretty fun circuit, but a bit old fashioned - and I bet the accidents can be large.. Are McLaren still going to kill it off?? I always thought that if you made the effort to go to Lydden, you might as well keep going to Spa - which isn't much further!!!!
The first point is partly correct. The MG Car Club is a club whereas the MG Owner's Club is in fact a business. The MGCC is the traditional home for the MG enthusiast and once upon a time they didn't get along. Things are different these days though.

As far as the racing is concerned there are many more choices for the MGCC member from vintage through to modern. the regs for a MGCC MG Midget are more advanced than those for the MGOC championship so the racing is (in my opinion) a lot better.

The International weekend is really a festival for MG car nuts and it is great fun. Especially if the weather is good as it is forecast for this weekend.

Sadly, I think Macaroon should have closed Lydden when they first bought the site. At least then we would have some fond memories. It appears to me that it is just living off its old reputation these days because practice and racing is severely restricted. Also the paddock needs dractic improvement, which I doubt it will ever get.

Spa is actually another six hours away, but at least you get to bring back cheap wine. (Roll on September).
Old 15 Jun 2000, 13:22 (Ref:17435)   #18
daved
Rookie

Spectating I'm afraid.Lydden is great on agood day no fences along with mallory park its got the one of the best places to get a good photo.
Old 15 Jun 2000, 13:44 (Ref:17438)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by daved
Spectating I'm afraid.Lydden is great on agood day no fences along with mallory park its got the one of the best places to get a good photo.
I'll go along with that. If you like what you see why not come to some of the other CSCC rounds this year.
Old 15 Jun 2000, 16:17 (Ref:17464)   #20
daved
Rookie

I go to all the cscc in the south of England, sold Mr Stubbs a poster size photo of his Capri a while back. By the way how do you attach a photo to one of these?. I highly recommend The CSCC meetings to all and sundry, Watching Nigel Garret holding off the Camaro at Mallory ( by all of six feet!!) was a recent high point. I can also recommend AMOC meetings excellent racing by a better bred hooligan. Anglo american challenge can be amusing as well esp. that Bernie Chodosh ,I've a photo of him attempting to overtake on the grass from the elbow towards the finish line at Mallory park in his corvette 450 bhp and no brakes after lap5
Old 15 Jun 2000, 16:29 (Ref:17466)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by daved
I go to all the cscc in the south of England, sold Mr Stubbs a poster size photo of his Capri a while back.
Colin is one of the stalwarts of the post historic championship.
Quote:

By the way how do you attach a photo to one of these?.
You need to upload it to a website and reference it in the topic. Have a look at my posting in "What's a Cologne Capri?" in the Racer's Forum.

Quote:

I highly recommend The CSCC meetings to all and sundry, Watching Nigel Garret holding off the Camaro at Mallory ( by all of six feet!!) was a recent high point.

Good. Tell your friends.

Quote:
I can also recommend AMOC meetings excellent racing by a better bred hooligan. Anglo american challenge can be amusing as well esp. that Bernie Chodosh ,I've a photo of him attempting to overtake on the grass from the elbow towards the finish line at Mallory park in his corvette 450 bhp and no brakes after lap5
Well then. Come to the CSCC meeting at Thruxton 2 July and say hello. Did you go to the Brands meeting in May?
Old 20 Jun 2000, 01:35 (Ref:18157)   #22
daved
Rookie

OF course I was at Brands for the best meet of the month.Excellent racing . Silverstone on the 24th for more of the same Sir John Horsfall trophy I believe.Lydden was good fun in the baking sun bad sunburn though.Some interesting French participants Including the Loudest Porsche I have ever heard. Mr Garret won outright of course being a twisty circuit