Old 10 Jul 2002, 19:48 (Ref:331337)   #1
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting Rockingham rumour

According to this week's Motorsport News newspaper:

"A new British-led consortium is planning to put together a team to contest this autumn's FedEx Champ Car race at Rockingham, near Corby.

"The project leaders aim to run a leading British driver - or possibly two - in the September 14 event. The names of former Grand Prix stars Johnny Herbert and Mark Blundell have been linked to the scheme.

"Details remain sketchy, but leading Champ Car chassis manufacturer Lola has been asked whether it could make a chassis available. If the plan comes to fruition, the team is expected to use Ford-Cosworth power."

According to the report, Blundell says he doesn't want to make a full-time return unless a top-line drive becomes available (could be in for a long wait then). Sounds intriguing though, and if they do the British round, who knows - they might take in the German one as well.

(Incidentally, on an unrelated theme, MN has race reports from the CART and IRL events this week - the CART report takes up half a page, has a big picture of da Matta's car, top six results and the top six in points. The IRL report lasts three paragraphs, and I can't find a picture of an IRL car anywhere in the issue)
Old 10 Jul 2002, 20:38 (Ref:331371)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder if Pook is somehow behind this one. Aren't the contracts with the two European events the ones which guarantee a field of 20 cars?
Old 10 Jul 2002, 22:36 (Ref:331460)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back Nige for a one off race....he would get some tickets sold and sell out Rockingham for sure if they brought back RED 5 for the event .

Last edited by Sato san; 10 Jul 2002 at 22:38.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 00:01 (Ref:331505)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did someone mention Justin Wilson?
Old 11 Jul 2002, 07:45 (Ref:331567)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Nige would have to sit on the floor, there'd be no room for the seat.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 08:37 (Ref:331602)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Nige would have to sit on the floor, there'd be no room for the seat.
hehehe, THATS TRUE !

but with the grit and determination that guy has , he would still probally beat them all if he did .
Old 11 Jul 2002, 10:58 (Ref:331692)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would be great if Nige got his butt into a racing seat again. He's probably still got the determination to race, it's something you never lose really.

But he's probably too fat now!!!
Old 11 Jul 2002, 11:12 (Ref:331701)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this rumour or some similar rumour was out last year too. People who don't drive on ovals regularly are not safe bets for a one-off seat, although it hasn't been that long since Blundell drove in CHamp Cars. I would guess it is only a rumour.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 13:15 (Ref:331823)   #9
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Copied from Champweb.net (seeing the spelling it must be a **** site)

2002-07-06
Rumor- 3 car Brittish team
We have recieved a rumor that a 3 car brittish ChampCar team will take to the track at both the England and Germany events with Johnny Herbert, Mark Blundell and Justin Wilson driving the cars. This rumor actually carries some merit, so stay tuned...
Old 11 Jul 2002, 14:22 (Ref:331883)   #10
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could just be a one off race! I'd love to see them all racing though. Wilson deserves a CART or F1 seat.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 14:41 (Ref:331898)   #11
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great News if its true!

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 11 Jul 2002, 16:21 (Ref:331974)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We Will See......................
Old 11 Jul 2002, 16:58 (Ref:331996)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe this could possibly be as a precursor to a fulltime 2003 project, taking 2 from those 3 drivers for the longterm. I'm sure all 3 of those guys would consider a fulltime drive in CART (although I think Blundell said the Zanardi crash has seriously put him off ever doing ovals again). But then this is still just a rumour, and perhaps a rather fanciful one.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 10:03 (Ref:332441)   #14
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Herbert and Blundell have denied the rumour, so maybe not.
Old 13 Jul 2002, 20:01 (Ref:333354)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
That would be great if Nige got his butt into a racing seat again.
But he's probably too fat now!!!
unfortunatly i have to agree . But i would still have loved to see Nige race on a oval in a good car on home ground .

MANSELL MANIA would be back in the UK .

He would go like a bat out of hell !
Old 13 Jul 2002, 20:03 (Ref:333355)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
But i think if anyone deserves a go , it must be Wilson. He was hanging around the Rockingham Paddock introducing him self to all the team owners last September .
Old 13 Jul 2002, 23:22 (Ref:333435)   #17
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nigel squeezed into that European Minardi 2-seater last year (OK, forget the end result...), maybe he could stick on a corset for 2 days & get into a Champ Car? Anyway, wasn't Tracy abouth the same size 'til recently...Or are the latest Champ Cars (i still hate this stupid name btw) particularly small in the cockpit?

Mansellmania's a great way to sell more tickets, surely wouldn't be too much of an expense to run a team for one race, if the chassis are supplied. And Wilson deserves a chance in one of the cars, F1 having treated him like s**t as it does generally everyone. Junqueira (Wilson's predecessor as F3000 champ) is doing a good job now he's got a year under his belt, surely CART/IRL teams should look at Wilson.

Or if Herbert and Blundell aren't interested in a seat, maybe Darrens Manning or Turner, with track experience via ASCAR, could be given a go? Just a thought, not much chance of any of this though!
Old 14 Jul 2002, 10:15 (Ref:333583)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
yes , thats a good couple of drivers that could do with the chance. And both of them now have Oval experience of Rockingham already .
Old 14 Jul 2002, 12:10 (Ref:333627)   #19
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But didnt Nige do the few laps for the opening of Rockingham? In Bryan Herta's car i think it was.

I agree, get Wilson a drive, but where is his oval experience? a bit tough having your first oval drive in a ChampCar (but i wouldnt mind!)

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 14 Jul 2002, 12:59 (Ref:333638)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69
But didnt Nige do the few laps for the opening of Rockingham? In Bryan Herta's car i think it was.

Yes , he done it at the opening ceremony , set good times as well, considering the track was covered in dust .
Old 14 Jul 2002, 17:20 (Ref:333726)   #21
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell is far too slow, to actually be in a racing car.