Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Aug 2002, 09:32 (Ref:359626)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Impressions from Winton

Hi guys , Ive just returned from winton and it was a rather nice day dwn there, firstly I got to meet up with Diabando and her family which was pretty cool and the day was an enjoyable one.

as for the on track stuff it wasnt to bad firstly so there is no confusion for the weekend the valvoline boys have swapped numbers , not cars just numbers so now Tander is 35 and Bargs is 34 , I have no idea why this is or what they hope it will do but thats the way it is for this weekend at least.

the V8's turned on some pretty fast laps and as usual the HRT boys were up the front but were outdone by Marcos (Curtley) Ambrose during the top ten shootout.

there was no real dramas in the shootout except for Besnard running a little wide at Penrite and losing about a second hence dropping him to tenth.
the rest of the V8 stuff had some interesting things with Tratt stuffing the wall big time and Ramono doing the same and of course Forbes having his usual handfull of off track excursions, Paul Morris and Jason Richards also brought out the red flag at on stage when they became bogged in the gravel trap in seperate incidents.

very noticable by there lack of speed were the DJR boys as were the Castrol team to an extent Im not quite sure what is up there but things dont look good especially for DJR.

the support show is its usual low self with the highlights being the historics and formula Holden but apart from that the MGF series is rather boring allthough the formula fords put on a great display in their last practise session with guys flying everywhere.

there was a decent crowd there in fact probably one of the biggest ive seen on a saturday and im sure it will be a sellout tomorrow.

anyway thats about it lets hope its a great day tomorrow and maybe just maybe ambrose can upstage hrt
Old 17 Aug 2002, 11:04 (Ref:359674)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The MGFs can, but not necessarily, put on some half-way decent racing. Wait until tomorrow to find out.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 11:31 (Ref:359680)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And be interesting to see how many of the huge field of 11 Formula Holdens remain after race 1...
Old 17 Aug 2002, 13:27 (Ref:359714)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those buzzards will be circling again
Old 17 Aug 2002, 13:34 (Ref:359719)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

- won;t take much - they don;t even get a warm up session tomorrow - so race 1 will be their race of attrition...
Old 17 Aug 2002, 13:37 (Ref:359722)   #6
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the On Site Info Marcus- Geez I love Ten Tenths
Old 18 Aug 2002, 01:07 (Ref:360037)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah probably true about the MGF's Elephino , I was probably a tad harsh , but really they are quite slow compared to other classes and I dont think they should be on the V8 program , but still Im sure they are a heck of alot of fun to drive

as for the formula Holdens , they are a fantastic class , I totally love the cars but yes they are dying a very slow death wich is one of the biggest shames in Oz motorsport.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 04:23 (Ref:360058)   #8
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, Formula Holden is dying a slow and painful death and the sooner it does die the better for Australian motorsport, I believe. F3's are the way of the future for open wheelers in this country I feel. No more of this 3.8 V6 hybrid stuff but a category that is internationally recognised and comparable. It would be nice to have something like Macau around the streets of Adelaide….
Old 18 Aug 2002, 11:46 (Ref:360174)   #9
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have returned from Winton....And To be completely frank, I was bored witless... Race 1 was the most processional race I've seen for ages, and the actual racing in race 2 wasn't much better.

As for Supports: FH, race 1 Average, Race 2 Good. FF Both races not bad. MGF's Race 1 was OK but a touch long I thought, race 2 was redflagged early. Group N: One of the skinniest fields I've seen for ages, and I wasn't real impressed. Porsches Best racing on the day for mine.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 02:14 (Ref:360826)   #10
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to agree that Race 1 of the V8's was painfully long and boring with everyone wobbling around towards the end without much left in the way of tyres but Race 2 contained plenty of action and Safety Car periods that at least allowed the tyres to revive. So many people were hoping that Ambrose would run away with it after passing Bright after the Safety Car went back in.

I actually thought that Forbes had a pretty good showing (other than despatching Radisich)
Old 19 Aug 2002, 06:42 (Ref:360907)   #11
Seton_5
Racer

Seton_5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Winton on Sunday.For Race 1 i was at the Penrite Corner and second Race at Corner 1+2. Race 1 was broing but two was better. Not sure if anyone else saw this but did anyone notic Romano Passed Wilson under year coming in to 1+2. By the Way if you ever going up 2 wintion 1 and 2 are the best place to watch from!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 07:48 (Ref:360940)   #12
Flaggie
Racer

Yes I did see it.... I reported it as well. I was in the flag point on that corner. Apparently Romano did get nabbed, but I have no idea what the penalty was.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:01 (Ref:360982)   #13
RaceTime
Veteran

CAMS penalties received this afternoon - no penalty given...

http://www.racenews.com.au/?racenews=55428
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:26 (Ref:361004)   #14
Seton_5
Racer

Seton_5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes noticed Romano anothing.Very Intresting! Also from what i saw did Ellery going into the back of Wakefield and push him off? at Corner 3. Flaggie If you were at that the Flag post you would of seen a great View of Faulkner going off. i didn't see him go off What happened?. Ands was the delay clearing him up was that they couldn't get the car of the truck right?
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:57 (Ref:361028)   #15
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Seton_5
Also from what i saw did Ellery going into the back of Wakefield and push him off? at Corner 3.
We saw it on replay in the pits and he managed it all by himself. From what I remember, it looked like he might have missed his braking marker due to the traffic around him perhaps. He was lucky not to do a McConville with the speed he went into the sand side on. It was a pity because otherwise he had a a great weekend.

JF certainly went in hard, Flaggie, did you think it may have been as a result of steering failure? Perhaps after rubbing another car going into Turn 1.

Old 19 Aug 2002, 10:42 (Ref:361068)   #16
Flaggie
Racer

Would you believe I didn't see Faulkner go off? He was 20 feet away, I didn't see it, didn't hear it.

Someone told me he was served onto the marbles and had no where to go. The TV angle I saw was inconclusive. The right hand side of his car didn't seem to have any scuff marks on it, nor did the left when we saw it on the tray.

As for the cause, When he got on the grass, he didnt even seem to try to avoid, so maybe steering could have been a factor, yeah.

And the delay was basically cause the edge of the fuel drop tank was making life tough. They had to basically lift it up over the tray edge and then winch him on.

Last edited by Flaggie; 19 Aug 2002 at 10:47.