Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is better - Juan or Ralf?
Juan 32 72.73%
Ralf 6 13.64%
They're about equal 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Sep 2002, 22:06 (Ref:385596)   #1
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is better - Juan or Ralf?

Simple question - who do you think is better? Or do you think they're about equal?

My vote goes to Juan. As I explained in the "hype" topic, Ralf certainly has had the advantage on some of the tracks, but Juan has had far more bad luck than Ralf when he's been in with a chance of winning. Juan is the faster over one lap, though Ralf seems to be better at preserving his tyres...

What's your take?
Old 21 Sep 2002, 22:26 (Ref:385603)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Up until last week, I would have thought that Rakf was better at preserving his engine.

Valve
Old 21 Sep 2002, 22:51 (Ref:385610)   #3
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They seem pretty evenly matched to me at the moment. In the long run, I'd say Juan will have the upper hand.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 22:57 (Ref:385613)   #4
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ralf, is not slow by any means. They both have the pace, but to me Juan has the fighting spirit that I can't see in Ralf.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 23:09 (Ref:385616)   #5
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're about equal. Ralf is more consistent but Juan is generally faster.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 00:09 (Ref:385645)   #6
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Up until last week, I would have thought that Rakf was better at preserving his engine.

Last edited by freud; 22 Sep 2002 at 00:10.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 00:24 (Ref:385649)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan has more talent, Ralf is the better driver in that he looks after the car and gets it to the finish more often. But JPM has a fair bit more raw pace, overtime he'll get better in races, and become the clear leader of the two. So I voted for Juan.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 00:27 (Ref:385650)   #8
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ralf was dominated by Fisichella and Hill. I just dont think that he is among the top 5 drivers in F1 right now.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 00:55 (Ref:385663)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a good point freud, although it could be said on paper he dominated JPM last year - 3 wins to 1, but of course JPM was the dominant driver by years end.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 01:04 (Ref:385670)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Are you asking that question to me as a fan or a team manager?

As a Team Manager, I would hire Ralf. He gets the results. His consistancy is his asset.

As a fan, then it would be Juan. More spectacular to watch, and obviously has that racing spirit which is sadly missing with many drivers today.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 01:21 (Ref:385683)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM has that fire and aggression that make him one of the most spectacular drivers on the grid, a tad inconsistent but he's just thrilling to watch. You go to a race expecting 110% all the time from JPM.

Well, I don't really get this inconsistent tag anyway - he's had a collision with DC at the Nurburgring and was pathetic in Hungary but every other retirement has been mechanical, something he has little control over. He's also had two great recovery drives in Malaysia and Brazil, showing he can come through the pack with no worries.

However, at the moment neither has the upper hand. Ralf has the solitary win for Williams (reaons WHY he has that we won't go into) but JPM has generally performed better and his pace, in a car that is completely inferior the Ferrari, has been outstanding.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 02:10 (Ref:385694)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i didn't vote (yet). It's just so close.

But if i do need to make a choice... i think JPM has an edge. He seems to be more the aggressive racer...and seem to have more "fire-to-win" than Ralf. I believe that will allow him to push himself even more towards his limits. I thought he is one of those drivers who have "an extra 0.5s" during qualifyings...that unless neccessary, would be kept in the pocket. Also, he is brilliantly spectacular and exciting to watch...though that doesn't make a driver better in real terms...won him the winning vote.

Ralf is different. He takes a more calm role, and doesn't man-handle the car. He is as good as JPM now. Given his day and with a proper car (an argument that also applies for JPM), Ralf is a very hard man to beat. Ralf seems the more thinking one in that he doesn't carry the "win-or-lose-all" attitude of JPM to such an extreme...being more of a "head" driver than JPM's "heart" driver. But when things doesnt go all well, Ralf tends to slide off in personal performance.

But who is better? Considering how close the results are... Tough call.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 06:49 (Ref:385726)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf is good .....But Juan is the driver who is better IMO.....Ralf lacks the aggresion in certain area's .

I think Juan wins it hands down .

Lets face it , Juan is only in his 2nd year in F1 .....Ralfs been around since 1997 .

Last edited by Sato san; 22 Sep 2002 at 06:50.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 07:29 (Ref:385736)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's face it too...This is not Juan's 2nd year in a F1 car, neither was it his 2nd year at high end racing in a major series... Kimi had done an impressive job given his very lack of experience...so, if we are to all conclude that JPM IS THE FUTURE... there are high expectations that needed to be met. So to his die-hards...some of you were those so sure JPM will kick ass this year...so i advise them to calm down and stop those high claims..

But i do agree...its his 2nd only in competitive F1. And i have no doubt JPM will built upon his huge talents and realise his potential. He will mature even more as the years go by...so to his critics...if you think he is just an overhyped also-ran, better be prepared to eat humble pie~
Old 22 Sep 2002, 07:43 (Ref:385739)   #15
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uh-oh, I'm one of his critics. I still say that he's highly overhyped. But never did I say he's an also run. He does have potential. (And he's entertaining... )

PS: D'uh, I wonder why the "smilies" strings are always parsed from right to left... like in () produces instead of (_)

Last edited by Red; 22 Sep 2002 at 07:44.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 08:29 (Ref:385745)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In terms of overall performance they're equal. In terms of all round consistency (and for my money Williams need points finishes even if they can't win) it has to be Ralf so my vote is "equal".
Old 22 Sep 2002, 12:26 (Ref:385845)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Juan has to be some way ahead, even now. His pole lap at Monza shows the astonishing natural car control and aggression he has, both traits Ralf could do with more of.

With an extra 3 years experience (taking him up to Ralf's level) he will be a long way ahead, he still has a few rough edges to iron out of his driving, but he has much more natural talent than Ralf.

In team-mate comparisons, Ralf doesn't stand up well. He was indeed trounced by Fisichella who had little more experience, and was outpaced though not outscored by not only Montoya but also Button as rookies. And Fisichella wolloped Button even after he had a year's experience... The question should be, who's better out nof Montoya and Fisichella.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 12:59 (Ref:385864)   #18
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan is so much better than Ralf. Williams should have dropped Ralf and got Button for 2003.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 13:05 (Ref:385868)   #19
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya is vastly more talented and unlucky not to have picked up half a dozen wins or so over the last 2 years.

Williams have stated they must build around Juan over the next few yars to win a championship.

Ralf has been around a long time now and has not really achieved much. I think he has already peaked. Williams should give someone else a run.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 13:18 (Ref:385874)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by I Ate Yoko Ono
Williams have stated they must build around Juan over the next few yars to win a championship.
They did? What happened with the "we let them race, provide them with similar support, Ferrari do dirty tricks" then? Geesh, I wonder what will be, the once again cheated, fan's reactin.... Now please someone tell me that Williams do care about their fans...
Old 22 Sep 2002, 14:09 (Ref:385887)   #21
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red , i hope your not trying to say that Williams will stoop to the all time low levels that Ferrari dropped to at Austria are you ?...i dont think that will happen somehow .
Old 22 Sep 2002, 14:25 (Ref:385894)   #22
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a fan of Juan and I've come to the conclusion that Ralf is not going to be a WDC unless given a truly superior car. I voted for Ralf since he's more likely to bring the points home.

What I truly believe is that Williams is digging its own grave in focusing too much around Juan. They have a long story of poor PR with their drivers and personnel that has cost them dearly, and they're doing it again.

In regard to the current team, my bottom line is that they're both too old. Michael will be dominant next year and after that the most likely challenger will be Kimi who has the brain, pace and cool killer instinct. Perhaps Button or Alonso will also rise quickly.

I know, I know Senna and the 28 years old.... but first, Juan doesn't come within 10 light years of Senna's racing mind and most importantly, Senna didn't have to deal with a bunch of younger, quick and hungry drivers like Juan will have to.

IMHO Ralf and Juan will be a "reference" generation that provided the background for Schumi's era. Right now, it seems that the future is Finnish white and blue.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 15:41 (Ref:385918)   #23
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JPM by a whisker…… but I’d give Ralf the drive on the basis he’s got a better looking wife!!!!

(well it’s only a larf innit!)
Old 22 Sep 2002, 16:01 (Ref:385942)   #24
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by alchemy
I’d give Ralf the drive on the basis he’s got a better looking wife!!!!
No way !!!!!!.....

If were give drives away on how fit their partners are , im certainly gonna give Juan my support .

Connie is just so natural and beautiful too !

Last edited by Sato san; 22 Sep 2002 at 16:03.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 16:10 (Ref:385947)   #25
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
fiona should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would say there both about equal