Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 May 2004, 12:52 (Ref:967611)   #1
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
travelling in bus lanes (london)

i was wondering how far u'r allowed to travel in a bus lane if u'r turning left into a side street?
Old 11 May 2004, 13:17 (Ref:967652)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In effect, you're not. According to the Highway Code, you should turn from your carriageway across the bus lane, giving way first to any traffic - buses, taxis, cycles - using the bus lane. In some cases, road markings indicate the temporary end of the bus lane and a left turn only lane for all traffic, in which case you can pull over at the start of these lane markings.

I can't find any reference in the Highway Code to a maximum distance you can travel in a bus lane when turning.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/
Old 11 May 2004, 13:26 (Ref:967661)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
If the bus lane is in force you are not allowed to enter it even to turn left. There should be a break in the lane for side roads. There has been a couple of cases where people have been fined for crossing the bus lane to enter the driveway of houses. On asking how they are supposed to get in their drivways the people concerned were told to park in a nearby street until the lane enforcement time ends.
Old 11 May 2004, 13:40 (Ref:967678)   #4
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You're kidding...

Yet another reason why I will never move south.
Old 11 May 2004, 18:33 (Ref:967983)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
You're kidding...

Yet another reason why I will never move south.
Why, do you not have bus lanes in Wilmslow?
Old 11 May 2004, 20:12 (Ref:968066)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could be wrong, but I can't actually think of anywhere that has bus lanes in Wilmslow.
Old 12 May 2004, 08:30 (Ref:968414)   #7
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
Do they have buses in Wilmslow??

Old 12 May 2004, 08:38 (Ref:968420)   #8
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There has been a couple of cases where people have been fined for crossing the bus lane to enter the driveway of houses. On asking how they are supposed to get in their drivways the people concerned were told to park in a nearby street until the lane enforcement time ends.
:confused:

This is where this sort of thing starts to break down. I don't have a problem with the idea of bus lanes and improving public transport, but someone somewhere should be able to use their common sense so that stupid 'guidelines' like that don't get introduced.
Old 12 May 2004, 09:03 (Ref:968449)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
On asking how they are supposed to get in their drivways the people concerned were told to park in a nearby street until the lane enforcement time ends.
Which is fine except that the streets in areas like that will more than likely have parking restrictions that have residents permits. So you can't park on your drive and you can't park in nearby streets - you have to park miles away and get the bus back to your house.

Old 12 May 2004, 09:05 (Ref:968450)   #10
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Certainly not!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaybee
Do they have buses in Wilmslow??
To quote Jeremy Clarkson in the Sunday Times many moons ago, talking about Prestbury but it's near enough...

Cleaners are bussed in from Moss Side. And then shot.

There is an exceedingly annoying bus lane on the A6 between Stockport and Manchester - that's probably the nearest one to Wilmslow!

It's just that up north traffic law seems to be applied with a degree of common sense, whereas in London town (from where I'm typing right now, Hounslow in fact) things seem so fraught that booking someone for crossing a bus lane to get to his drive becomes a reality.

By the way, if you're west of London, avoid the A4/A312/A30 triangle - it's chaos!!!
Old 17 May 2004, 14:35 (Ref:973387)   #11
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a bus driver in Sydney for the last 18yrs and now a supervisor I think that they are the best thing since sliced bread. When I am out in the inspectors truck its great to here the excuses when I breach a vehicle using the bus lane.
Old 17 May 2004, 14:58 (Ref:973413)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieV8
As a bus driver in Sydney for the last 18yrs and now a supervisor I think that they are the best thing since sliced bread. When I am out in the inspectors truck its great to here the excuses when I breach a vehicle using the bus lane.
I can imagine it...I'll get you Butler, see if I don't
Old 25 May 2004, 07:50 (Ref:982242)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Our new Lord mayor is getting rid of the bus lanes, they have proven themselves to be a failure, they make the traffic flow worse not better and accidents are caused when people try to cross the lane to turn.
Old 26 May 2004, 21:33 (Ref:984439)   #14
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
Our new Lord mayor is getting rid of the bus lanes, they have proven themselves to be a failure, they make the traffic flow worse not better and accidents are caused when people try to cross the lane to turn.
Its also a problem when people cross in front of the buses in the lane, so car users have no sight of them crossing until they're right in their path!
Old 28 May 2004, 11:14 (Ref:986094)   #15
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about getting rid of buses and bus lanes.
Old 28 May 2004, 23:40 (Ref:986793)   #16
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WTF are you thinking blue nose...
Old 29 May 2004, 05:54 (Ref:986905)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by blue nose
What about getting rid of buses and bus lanes.
Best idea I have heard all year
Old 3 Jun 2004, 08:28 (Ref:992367)   #18
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especially those pesky 124 buses huh?