Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:57 (Ref:635201)   #1
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon Chevy

I just watched Pikes Peak and i gotta tell u it breaks my British heart to see a great marque like Chevrolet put in the shade by Toyota & Honda, but most of all to see a fine driver like Hornish served up with inferior tools to do the job. This guy is a star and for my money could do a great job in F1 (yawn) where his handling skills,racing nous and sheer guts would make him a great prospect (Jaguar take note). So c'mon Chevy shape up, join with Cosworth or whatever it takes but give Sam and Uncle Sam a chance to shine in this great series.
PS I have an old Chevy V8 in my garage which I once fitted into an old Rover 3 Litre until I over revved it and threw a rod thru the casing but on a cold English evening I still get a warm glow just by looking at that piece of art, how tragic does that make me?
Old 19 Jun 2003, 16:43 (Ref:636787)   #2
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. It's terrible to see the best all-round racer in the field struggling to get a top ten. They should switch to Toyotas is all I'd say....
Old 19 Jun 2003, 18:48 (Ref:636895)   #3
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if it makes you feel better, the Toyota engine was designed, developed and built by Americans in California, and th Honda engine was designed developed and built by Brits.

Chevrolet found they lacked the expertise in certain engine design areas that Illmor and TRD had. The internal debate inside GM is whether to shortcut that learning curve by developing with Cosworth (the Honda-Illmor solution) or do it all in house, which could take a year or two to catch up.

My guess is Chevrolet will race the Cosworth starting at Michigan and continue through next year. In 2005 a new in-house engine will debut, perhaps with some technology agreement with Cosworth.

Only Toyota had their act together, as TRD had been working on an IRL engine design since before 2001. Chevrolet thought they were ready, but that was fools gold measured against the underfunded Infiniti badged TRW engine.

Honda (Japan - not the US folks) realized its' position and did not want to repeat the BAR experience, so cut a deal with Illmor. The Americans at Honda are still smarting over that slight from Tokyo; but it was the right decision.

I am confident the Chevrolet people will see the value in hiring the Cosworth folks without the pride damage that Robert Clarke and company in Ohio are feeling.

Chevy-Cosworth will happen. And they will win a race. Sam Hornish is that good.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 17:34 (Ref:637825)   #4
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to it sg. Hope you're right mate.