Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Sep 2003, 13:53 (Ref:714111)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turkish GP

F1-Live has a short article that says the foundations for the circuit in Kurtkoy, Turkey have started to be built, and that they plan to begin running GPs there from 2005.

Has anyone seen a proposed track layout for this place? It is described as a 5.3km track with a longest straight of 928m and 15 turns... is it another Tilke-ring? (shiny hopes not... )
Old 10 Sep 2003, 14:09 (Ref:714122)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If they want to run F1 races, it must be a Tilke-ring...
Old 10 Sep 2003, 14:16 (Ref:714127)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt it, as Turkey will also introduce a ban on tobacco advertising since they really want to be part of the European Union... (bugger off i say)
Old 10 Sep 2003, 14:17 (Ref:714128)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder what Bernie hopes to gain out of a GP of Turkey?

According to a report in this weeks Autosport mag.....

Ministry of health under secretary Necdet Unuvar said of the '05 gp..."Tobacco commercials will not be allowed. If anyone asks, we will say tobacco adverts are not appropriate"
Old 10 Sep 2003, 14:35 (Ref:714141)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes I'd heard that, if anything, Turkey will be even worse for trying to have tobacco sponsorship.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 15:02 (Ref:714167)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
I doubt it, as Turkey will also introduce a ban on tobacco advertising since they really want to be part of the European Union... (bugger off i say)
But F1 will also have a tobacco ban by 2006 so maybe there will be Turk GP in 2006
Old 10 Sep 2003, 15:34 (Ref:714193)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really doubt that Bernie and Co. will effectively ban tobacco advertising in F1.

But then again, there's rumours of a 10 year contract for Spa-Francorchamps so anything can happen.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 16:19 (Ref:714240)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to Turkey in 1969. That was enough.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 16:29 (Ref:714248)   #9
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From what I've heard, it hasn't exactly developed since then.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 16:39 (Ref:714263)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well 1 dollar is more than a million Turks, so at least were all millionaires in Turkey !!

Anyway coming back to F1 and the whole Tobacco thing only time will tell if Bernie and all are serious or not.
Teams like Jordon etc could have real problems in finding a top sponsor if Tobacco sponsoring is banned
Old 10 Sep 2003, 16:49 (Ref:714285)   #11
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
If teams remain sponsored by tobacco and the races just move to countries where it is still allowed, seems like the auto manufacturers would start to lose interest in F1... granted, they sell cars all over the world, but when your home market is excluded from being able to go see your $10million moving billboard, why would you want to keep footing that bill at the same astronomical costs??
Old 10 Sep 2003, 17:11 (Ref:714333)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
Well 1 dollar is more than a million Turks, so at least were all millionaires in Turkey !!

Anyway coming back to F1 and the whole Tobacco thing only time will tell if Bernie and all are serious or not.
Teams like Jordon etc could have real problems in finding a top sponsor if Tobacco sponsoring is banned
So how do they call millionaires in Turkey ????
Old 10 Sep 2003, 19:44 (Ref:714465)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More importantly what is the least they can walk away with in Turkey's Who Wants to be a Millionaire ? :confused:
Old 11 Sep 2003, 03:04 (Ref:714625)   #14
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where can I see the track layout?
Old 11 Sep 2003, 06:53 (Ref:714699)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

It's not on e-tracks, i already searched there.
Maybe someone else knows another track database site?
Old 11 Sep 2003, 07:51 (Ref:714750)   #16
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems as though the Turkish F1 GP track layout pictures are trying to make themselves as sparse as possible.

I found one, not sure how correct or in scale it is....but....here it is.

It really doesnt look that disgusting. Hockenheim, the the US look worse.

Out of Bahrain, Shanghai and this one, i think this is a pretty nice track. No crappy twirling first corner at least.

http://www.krtdirect.com/graphics/pr...cs%2F008%2F987

Sorry, couldn't attach it, but you will see it.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 10:00 (Ref:714846)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is also a birds eye in Autosport today, different diagram to twig's, but the same layout.

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Sep 2003 at 10:00.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 10:57 (Ref:714887)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shiny side up!
If teams remain sponsored by tobacco and the races just move to countries where it is still allowed, seems like the auto manufacturers would start to lose interest in F1... granted, they sell cars all over the world, but when your home market is excluded from being able to go see your $10million moving billboard, why would you want to keep footing that bill at the same astronomical costs?? [/QUOTE

You mean countries besides Canada (which buys very few high end cars anyway) are going to ban the TELEVISED race too? Or perhaps they can move it to The Sex Channel to make it less likely that babies will watch?

Anyway it'll be fun to watch what Bernie does and how the world reacts.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 11:10 (Ref:714895)   #19
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Looks like a fairly interesting layout. Also of note is it appears to run counterclockwise...
Old 11 Sep 2003, 11:10 (Ref:714896)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Wouldn't it be dangerous if Turkeys started running onto the track?
Old 11 Sep 2003, 11:15 (Ref:714901)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

Pitlane exit is placed before the final turn?

Weird...
Old 11 Sep 2003, 11:24 (Ref:714912)   #22
Eau Rouge Flat
Rookie

Eau Rouge Flat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello All

This is my first response, forgive me if I cock anything up.

With regards to the Turkish GP layout, try www.racingcircuits.net. The site has stacks of layouts old and new, including the proposed Turkish GP layout. It also has photo's too. Well worth a look at.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 11:38 (Ref:714932)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Looks like an interesting layout, the pit entrance and exit can make difference in the outcome. I wonder if there are up and down hills there... :confused:
Old 11 Sep 2003, 11:39 (Ref:714933)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Oh I tried there last night, couldn't find the new one (didn't look very hard though). I'll try again, thanks for the tip and welsome to Ten-tenths Eau Rouge Flat.

There are some great photos on that site especially of the old Spa. It is great to compare new and old.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 11:39 (Ref:714934)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

...and... it's a Tilke design.