Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:48 (Ref:699806)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
STOP PRESS: Muller's Punishment!

Now I've always been a huge Muller fan but, if what has been alleged is correct, I'm afraid he was bang out of order post-race at Brands. As has been stated elsewhere, 'the matter has been dealt with by MSA stewards' but what does that mean exactly?

I tell you what - get this!!

Quote:
2003 Green Flag MSA British Touring Car Championship

Championship Bulletin

Number: 43

Issued: August 26, 2003

1.2.3 Following an incident in Parc Ferme after Round 16, the BTCC Stewards interviewed Yvan Muller and Anthony Reid. The BTCC Stewards suspended Yvan Muller’s licence for a period of 11 days from August 25th, 2003.
WTF?!!???!!

Well - that's a hell of a punishment, isn't it!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:51 (Ref:699809)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So it runs out just in time for Donny?

Hmmmmmm....
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:52 (Ref:699814)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Indeed... that'll really inconvenience him then... I mean, think of all those races he'll miss
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:56 (Ref:699820)   #4
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sorry but it should be so, that he does not race at Donington.

Unless that is 11 racing days, that is pathetic
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:56 (Ref:699822)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Oh - and this too:

Quote:
1.2.2 The following had Championship penalties applied to them following incidents:
Qualifying: Team Varta (BTC Production Technical Regulation 3.5.1) – £250 fine
Round 15: Alan Morrison (Championship Regulation 3.7.10) – Drive Through Penalty
Paul Wallace (Championship Regulation 3.7.10) – Drive Through Penalty
Round 16: Carl Breeze (Championship Regulation 3.7.10) – Drive Through Penalty
Carl Breeze (Championship Regulation 3.7.2) – Drive Through Penalty
Danny Buxton (Championship Regulation 3.7.10) – Drive Through Penalty
Anthony Reid (J.16) – Official reprimand, £500, licence endorsed (three penalty points)
Dear oh dear...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:58 (Ref:699825)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK he was in the wrong, in fact the 1st I heard about this was when I got home last night, but 11 days why not do the full 14 so that he can be really punished for what he did......
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:59 (Ref:699827)   #7
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Quote:
Anthony Reid (J.16) – Official reprimand, £500, licence endorsed (three penalty points)
Well oviously Reid did something worthy of punishment in order for Muller to react like he did, so I dont realy have a problem with this part...

Last edited by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man; 26 Aug 2003 at 19:01.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:00 (Ref:699830)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
but 11 days why not do the full 14 so that he can be really punished for what he did......
Preciseley.

I think we can rule out 'spicing up the championship' though as it'd be better from that point of view if Thommo was given a chance to catch Yvan up a little. Seems very odd, doesn't it...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:01 (Ref:699835)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a really shame that I am having to miss Donington now as I expect to see some fireworks between Mr Muller and Mr Ried.......
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:09 (Ref:699850)   #10
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a stupid punishment and worth nothing, how much pressure did Toca put on the MSA so Muller could be back out for the next round?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:10 (Ref:699856)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Think the MSA thing is a bit of a red herring.

Quote:
The BTCC Stewards suspended Yvan Muller’s licence for a period of 11 days
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:15 (Ref:699869)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Maybe the MSA Stewards what to have a chat with him too.....
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:18 (Ref:699875)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
It's been a while since I looked at the technicalities of it all but, from the little I remember, I believe that TOCA have been granted the responsibility by the MSA for disciplining the drivers and teams in the BTCC - I'm sure someone will correct me if that is wrong?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:27 (Ref:699892)   #14
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Well its ovious that its all a farce to ensure good racing then.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:34 (Ref:699905)   #15
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That punishment is pathectic! 11 days, that dosent affect him in the slightest! he wont be racing in the next 11 days!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:44 (Ref:699926)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I might have miscounted but doesn't 11 days from 25th Aug mean that he can't be on track again until Sat 6th. Donington is a 3 day meeting with Free Practice on Fri 5th. If so he'll be straight into qualifying on Sat with no track time and no race set-up. Could be interesting.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:44 (Ref:699928)   #17
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if muller had been banned from Donny someone else could have had his car, someone who respects a move going wrong and dosent lash out, someone like Howell, good to see what he could do in Yvans car.

But Reid got a way more harsh penalty, you can't even call Mullers a penalty!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:46 (Ref:699930)   #18
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
I might have miscounted but doesn't 11 days from 25th Aug mean that he can't be on track again until Sat 6th. Donington is a 3 day meeting with Free Practice on Fri 5th. If so he'll be straight into qualifying on Sat with no track time and no race set-up. Could be interesting.
Your right there, however it depends if they start the penalty from the 25th or today, the 26th. Though if it was decided today then they should start fromt he 26th. Still stupid though, it should be 14 days
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:52 (Ref:699938)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It can be inclusive of the 25th as that would have meant he was racing at Brands without a licence.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 20:34 (Ref:699986)   #20
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by speedy king
But Reid got a way more harsh penalty, you can't even call Mullers a penalty!
Not having the two practice sessions could severly compromise Mullers weekend, and proberbly mean he will not finish well. On the other hand, we all know the vauxhall is a good car anyway, and with data from two other cars, that could proberbly be used to set up Mullers car with some effectiveness, he may still not be compromised as much as you would see fit for a punishment.

So that could be judged differently.

Reid was wrong on the track, and that is what TOCA and the MSA are there to deal with, and this has been done so as if it was any other situation.

You would think Muller could act maturely and not react like this to Reids actions, and TOCA and the MSA should not have to deal with childish behaviour like that of Yvan.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 20:46 (Ref:700000)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
apparently, regarding punishments, anything with a letter before it is a 'blue book' matter - msa regulations. so reid's been punished according to that.

'j' is apparently specific rules for saloon cars. apparently being the appropriate word for most of that post.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 21:24 (Ref:700037)   #22
jkfr
Rookie

jkfr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from where we sat on p h bend, it was impossible to see exactly what happened between reid and muller - but on past form, druids is not muller's best corner and he has some form in "racing incidents" there himself... anyway, i think he should have a realistic punishment - ie at least one race suspension. the MSA should not let ANYONE get away with this sort of behaviour....let alone an "f"in frog!! though it has to be said he is typically such a jolly fellow.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 21:24 (Ref:700038)   #23
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In that formula ford race at Rockingham where they had a punch up didn't the drivers get a one race ban? Muller/Reid incident wasn't the same but 11 days, it's like taking your road licence away over night and giving it back in the morning.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 22:44 (Ref:700098)   #24
Ayjay
Rookie

Ayjay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps I can clear up a couple of erroneous comments;

1. In any matter involving physical incidents(such as happened in parc ferme)it is a regulation within the MSA Blue Book that the matter is dealt with directly by the MSA appointed BTCC Stewards. TOCA had no involvement whatsoever in either the enquiry or the penalty.

2. The penalty given to Anthony Reid was not related to the Muller/Reid incident. It was for passing a (lapped) car under a yellow flag.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 22:53 (Ref:700104)   #25
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't it used to be that if the field was coming round to be collected by the safety car then any cars exiting the pit would be held until the field had cleared the exit area ?