Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2003, 08:33 (Ref:716016)   #1
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
faviroute driver quotes

well, after chatting to a friend about some of the daft things said and done by various drivers, i thought i would get a more open viewpoint on the topic. who do you think has said the daftest thing, or even the most inspirational?

one of my personal faviroutes would be one eddie irvine came out with

"life is not a spectator sport"

there would also have to be TGF's viewpoint on motor racing. i cant remember exactly how it went, but along the lines of:

'we're here to race, not out for a family drive and tea in the park'
Old 12 Sep 2003, 09:47 (Ref:716074)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The tyre controversy...no one gives a shi*".
Gerhard Berger 2003
Old 12 Sep 2003, 09:59 (Ref:716096)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's Shuey's exact quote GG,

"What are we doing here? Are we doing Formula One or are we in a happy family situation when we have coffee together."
-Michael Schumacher
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Sep 2003, 10:12 (Ref:716110)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"I got punched by Ayrton Senna after my first race, crashed in my second, wrote four cars off in my third and got banned from my fourth. People are going to think I'm some sort of nutter" - Eddie Irvine

"You win some, you lose some,a dn you crash some" - Dale Earnhardt (not F1, but stilla rgeat one)

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Period" - Keke Rosberg
Old 12 Sep 2003, 16:50 (Ref:716654)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I hit a rock." Tommi Makkenin after a triple barrel roll over the heads of a group of spectators, landing upside down at the bottom of a ravine.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 17:30 (Ref:716702)   #6
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Deliberate, but instinctual'
Old 12 Sep 2003, 17:37 (Ref:716712)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alan Grice after a monster crash at Bathurst:

Commentator - "So, Alan, was there anything wrong with the car at the time?"
Gricey - "Yeah, it was completely out of control."
Old 13 Sep 2003, 18:04 (Ref:717647)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Here's a good one from Niki Lauda in response to current F1 drivers lack of fan friendliness

"I had to sign f****** autographs when I was a driver. It's actually OK."
-Niki Lauda
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 13 Sep 2003, 18:29 (Ref:717659)   #9
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Jones commentating on the Aussie GP (1996??), Schumi goes to pass Alesi, who manages to shut the door. AJ says, "You're not getting past me you (derogatory name for a German)", stangely enough it was cut out of the repeat

Last edited by jase; 13 Sep 2003 at 18:30.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 21:25 (Ref:722401)   #10
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quote from the same Mr Jones at the same race on Ukyo Katayama... went something like:

"I am amazed Katayama has actually managed 75 laps of this circuit. (Then made some derogatory remark about his driving). But on this very difficult track where most better drivers have crashed and burned, Katayama does well."

Can't remember it exactly, but it made me laugh at the time.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 21:48 (Ref:722429)   #11
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think martin brundle said that dale earnhardt snr(r.i.p.) once whispered in his ear "remember your kids" with a wicked smile.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:02 (Ref:722437)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aryton Senna ..Press conference Estoril 1992

"if Prost wants to come back next year , he should come back and race anyone ......the way he is acting now is that he is a coward !....

its like ...if you want to do a 100 metre sprint , and Prost has got new running shoes , yet everyone else has to have Lead shoes !....this is how Prost wants to race.."

I love that press conference, i watched it only the other week as it cracks me up that Senna didnt care one little bit what he said......and as he spoke Mansell was sitting next to him nodding his head and patting Senna on the back !

Last edited by Sato san; 17 Sep 2003 at 22:06.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:07 (Ref:722439)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah great stuff. That kind of passion really is missing from F1 at the moment.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:15 (Ref:722451)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
"The Ferrari might be a useful car but it's not a helicopter and that's what I would have needed to avoid him."
-Eddie Irvine
After a trip to the gravel trap with Giancarlo Fisichella at Barcelona 1998.
I was never an Irvine fan but I do miss his sense of humour.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 04:44 (Ref:722655)   #15
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"I apologise to Michael for the year"
DC - Suzuka 2000

Just shows how soft he is!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 06:00 (Ref:722673)   #16
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
jet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza 2000 Pedro de la Rosa had a horrible crash in the first lap.Jos Verstappen is having a very good race and brings 3 points home for the Arrows team. When he crosses the line the only thing he said on the radio is : IS PEDRO OK!!!!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 10:09 (Ref:722861)   #17
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
And Prost saying his Ferrari was a TRUCK. :-) Made me laugh!
Old 19 Sep 2003, 09:16 (Ref:723910)   #18
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno which is THE BEST, but I'm certain it came out of the mouth of Eddie Irvine (GOD I MISS YOU EDDIE!!! I LOVE YOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!! )

Examples:
http://tisc.planet-f1.com/Features/I...ry_10579.shtml
Old 19 Sep 2003, 14:16 (Ref:724259)   #19
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Well, he's always one to say what he thinks : e.g. "The car was brick slow down the straight"
Old 19 Sep 2003, 18:56 (Ref:724548)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Jenson during his first GP weekend in Australia with Williams (a bird flew into his crash helmet whilst out on track)

"thats the first time i haven't enjoyed a bird on my face" (or words to that effect)
Old 19 Sep 2003, 18:57 (Ref:724550)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
"thats the first time i haven't enjoyed a bird on my face" (or words to that effect)
Old 19 Sep 2003, 19:39 (Ref:724578)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a really dull and nondescript quote but it always amuses me when I watch the '98 season review. The venue: France, Magny Cours, 1998. Ferrari have just romped to a one-two and Ron Dennis is not happy. He blames the stewards for stopping the race and whinges about how Hakkinen would have won had the race not restarted. Irvine replies:

"It's no use toying with peoples lives just because Ron Dennis wants to win a race."

A very dull phrase but he said it in such a way that it makes me laugh every time. It's great! Good old Eddie!
Old 19 Sep 2003, 20:03 (Ref:724599)   #23
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"thats racing (the actual quote was: rallying) sometimes its hard"

-Tommi Makinen
Old 19 Sep 2003, 21:12 (Ref:724648)   #24
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
erutangis ruoy tuoba yrros, raed ho
Old 19 Sep 2003, 21:26 (Ref:724661)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My absolute favourite quote: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head."
Eddie Irvine on the shape of TGF's helmet.