Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: What will happen with the buy out?
1. George wins the bid, adds Long Beach, Montreal and Mexico City to the 2005 IRL schedule and scraps the rest of CART's venues. 4 9.30%
2. George wins the bid, allows CART to run its 2004 season and then amalgamates everybody under one roof in 2005 -- with IRL cars, engines and selected CART tracks. 6 13.95%
3. George wins the bid, gives partner ISC (International Speedway Corporation) a couple of those choice venues for its Grand Am sports car series this season and then adds them to the IRL card in 2005. 3 6.98%
4. George makes a bid but loses because he's not willing to pick up most of the CART venues. 3 6.98%
5. George wins the bid but existing contracts are ruled invalid and OWRS cuts a new deal with old CART promoters as a new company. 1 2.33%
6. George makes no bid, OWRS goes ahead with its plan and runs a 16-race schedule in 2004. 26 60.47%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:10 (Ref:843297)   #1
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Next 10 Daze: Your Gut Feeling!

The winner gets a 4-day, all expenses paid trip to ClubMed in beautiful Sparta, Kentucky for the Belterra 752, or whatever they call it weekend.

Last edited by SurfaceUnits; 19 Jan 2004 at 23:19.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:23 (Ref:843308)   #2
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't even have a clue what's going to happen. Right now, it doesn't seem like anything is more likely than enything else and it's just going be a crapshoot. I'm afraid I'm just going to have to throw up my hands and step back from this one...

I picked the last one though, because I think it's the best option. At least we more or less know what OWRS wants to do with the series, but it's impossible to say what George would do. Could be good or bad either way. I just want it to be over.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:24 (Ref:843309)   #3
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the article: http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/9400/
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:40 (Ref:843328)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
...By Robin Miller. Just linked it from another thread not long ago.

My vote? You didn't give a choice for "Dunno"

1 - Not feasible, I would think, due to lawsuits.
2 - Quite plausible.
3 - Lawsuits gallore. Who in Vancouver wants to see GrandAm?
4 - Again, quite plausible. Any lawyers in the house?
5 - Nope. Not enough time.
6 - We'll have to wait and see.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:40 (Ref:843329)   #5
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A possibility which wasn't on the list but is even more likely.

The IRL doesn't win the bid, but several promoters (Laguna Seca, Road America, maybe Dover Downs) get their contracts ruled invalid, just as they would with an IRL bid. OWRS then signs some, but not all, of these rebels to one year deals at much lower sanctioning fees.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:46 (Ref:843339)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm just speculating like everyone else. Even reporteres like Miller are up in the air as to whats going to happen, so what do I know!

That said I went with #3. TG wins, and Grand Am will get some of the best CART venues, and in 2005 the IRL will run 3-4 of the road race venues. The IRL will probably be the only open wheel series, after the 2004 season.

I posted an opinion about 4 weeks ago, where I stated that NASCAR, IRL, and Grand Am will be the "Big 3" of American auto racing. ISC, TG, and the France family will rule this world, because the've got the money and the power. These 3 series will offer simple racing, with simple to follow rules and specs, in relatively cheap cars, that offer the fan alot of action, passing, and lead changes. They will have huge fields, all the major sponsors, the best drivers, teams, venues, and most importantly big TV contracts. For better or worse, the fans will eat it up.

Thats because the marketing of "the Big 3" will be relentless, on a scale that auto racing has never seen yet. Did anyone see Darrell Waltrip on the NFL half time show yesterday? How about Dale Jrs NFL commercial? That was huge for NASCAR to get recognized by the NFL, and its only the beginning. When they are all under one roof, stand clear, you might get run over by the marketing machine!

Will it be good, I'm not really sure, but I believe its time is coming...

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:49 (Ref:843346)   #7
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know if this is the thread of it but what the hell.

Wasn't OWRS going to provide the 18 cars statement to Judge Otte today ? Any word on that.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:51 (Ref:843350)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't know they were supposed'ta.
Hope they didl.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:59 (Ref:843363)   #9
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We need the Ten Tenths legal team in here . But I thought the 19th was the date for OWRS to give them a guarantee of 18 cars.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 00:05 (Ref:843372)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
None of those suit what I think will happen. OWRS has an amount they're willing to pay. ISC or TG up the ante slightly (like $1-2M) or bid towards a particular asset. OWRS has to spend perhaps as much as 25% more to get what they want. No biggy.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 00:22 (Ref:843399)   #11
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no doubt in my mind that after hours and hours of Tony George reviewing this situation he has decided to buy it for sure. What he will do with it after is up for grabs. Why would he send someone to review CART knowing full well he would be villified for doing it.

There is no reason to create alot of bad press unless he has the intention of doing something. Without a doubt we will see him propose something to courts. I think it would be sad but not unexpected.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 00:27 (Ref:843405)   #12
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm depressed.....

Every day I come in here, and read the thoughts of my fellow CART mourners, (and watch a select few dance around on CART's grave)...now we have to predict if the OWRS fellas will get a chance to make something with the remnants of CART or not....

I don't know....I'd like to appear here on voting day to see "champ car series definatly, unequivicoly and finally (and maybe a few more words I can't spell! ) confirmed to have a 2004 racing season", but at the moment I'm at rock bottom....

Heh, that's the way of a pessimist, you can either be presently suprised or proved right!
Old 20 Jan 2004, 01:11 (Ref:843441)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One could argue that TG has to *buy* out all the stuff because OWRS is made up of Multi-Multimillionaire venture capatalists...
Old 20 Jan 2004, 21:25 (Ref:844584)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...d=12&nid=84066

According this article the IRL is targeting Road America, Cleveland and Long Beach.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 21:33 (Ref:844606)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait and see. I voted for the last choice; Tony George does nothing and events proceed as expected. IRL people find some other reason to dance up and down and scream "CART IS DEAD!" in the Champ Car forum.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 22:52 (Ref:844726)   #16
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for #6. TG MIGHT bid on a few of CART's assets, but not the whole thing. There's no way the IRL can run at all or most of CART's venues and the last thing TG needs right now is to be sued. His sisters may want to have another one of those nice family gatherings...
Old 21 Jan 2004, 02:05 (Ref:844879)   #17
Electrocuted
Rookie

United States
Electrocuted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question I ask myself constantly is WHY would the IRL bid on everything?? Makes no sense to me. They only want 3 or 4 road/street (I assume). Lets speculate
Mid-O - Already trying to get out of CART/OWRS contract.
LB - Toyota can "assist" with a change to the iRL in 2005.
Portland or Mid-Ohio - They dont have contracts with CART or OWRS.
Laguna - Dont think so. Low attendance. But, Laguna has joined in trying to get out of the CART/OWRS contract.

Equipment
Med Center - Sure, it's a smart buisness decision.
Timing and scoring stuff - Sure, see above

So, at the most,, the IRL might try to bid on LB, Med Center, T&S, and maybe a trailer or few?? That's it. There is still plenty for OWRS to go racing in 2004!!!!!! Although, the rich guys will have to pony up only a little more money to make it happen.

OWRS WILL RACE IN 2004!!
But, after the money they spend keeping things going for a few years,,, they may wish they hadnt! It hurts me to think about the money it costs to race. Ouch!
Old 21 Jan 2004, 03:30 (Ref:844929)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the IRL would bid to do away with any competition. No sense in going to road courses, if OWRS is still around doing them. I think if they do bid, it will be because they only want one series.

Besides, I believe that beyond trying to put OWRS out of business, there is a bigger picture thats happening with the Frances, ISC and TG, as I stated in an earlier post.

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Jan 2004, 09:21 (Ref:845155)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
My gut feeling? Bernie's gonna send somebody over to "buy" LongBeach, effectively leaving TG without a golf course.

Well... Maybe it's not my "gut feeling", it's just a thought. And because they don't happen very often, I thought I'd post it!
Old 21 Jan 2004, 10:28 (Ref:845225)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted for #7.

The old bat at Indy pulls the funding from under TGs feet, leaving the IRL on a shoestring and once again an exodus leaves for greener pastures, most likely neckcar. Hey, at least there's no sham roundy-roundy series anymore.

Meanwhile, OWRS proceeds as expected...
Old 21 Jan 2004, 12:40 (Ref:845369)   #21
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think I agree mostly with sgw2 and Electrocuted but there are a great number of other scenarios not out there in the poll and it would be impossible to list them all. For example, the judge COULD declare the CART companies commingled and in Chapter 7, after which everything gets auctioned off individually. There're both value and liabilities of the promoter contracts TBD. If the contracts are, in fact, declared invalid for transfer, what guarantees does ANYONE have where it's going to land?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 00:09 (Ref:846168)   #22
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That 16 race schedule looks like it lost another US venue. Laguna Seca filed a breif challenging its contract transfer.

You can scratch Mid-Ohio, Fontana, Miami, Portland, Laguna Seca, and Road America from the schedule.

That leaves Long Beach and Denver, two Dover Downs venues, and Milwaukee (last contract year) as the only paying promoters left in America. OWRS would have to either have to promote or pay some to promote for them the proposed races at St. Petersburg, Cleveland, and Las Vegas.

We shall see what if anything the IRL does. With the CART schedule falling apart and the solid competitor list at only 10, there doesn't appear to be a lot of pressure on them to do anything.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:10 (Ref:846583)   #23
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OWRS just issued a press release quoting Gentilozzi as saying it has a "confirmed '04 race schedule." I'm certain Road America has "confirmed."
Old 22 Jan 2004, 18:01 (Ref:847203)   #24
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
OWRS just issued a press release quoting Gentilozzi as saying it has a "confirmed '04 race schedule." I'm certain Road America has "confirmed."
Sounds like they're ready to proceed if the sale goes though.
I'm assuming, indycool, they'll release this schedule when everything is in place.
I guess it would be too much to ask that Mid Ohio be on the schedule?