Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2004, 17:33 (Ref:876000)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Possible American team????

Here's a sketchy one....

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

Chip Ganassi has considered setting up a Formula 1 team.

"Some days I think about it....others I don't."

I don't know about you guys but I'd love to see Chip Ganassi in F1....we would welcome any new teams, but Chip Ganassi would be great!

And it certainly sounds to me, although a long shot, far more likely than this Red Bull team or whatever. F1 soon should be providing customer chassis for teams starting out and overall F1 may be cheaper in a few years, so it's certainly a possibility isn't it?

We can only hope! *puts hands together and prays*
Old 16 Feb 2004, 17:48 (Ref:876012)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gut instinct says this will not happen.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 18:03 (Ref:876031)   #3
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Won't happen.

I would love to see a Gurney F1 effort though!

BRING BACK THE GURNEY EAGLE!
Old 16 Feb 2004, 18:05 (Ref:876032)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I fear that's even less likely....
Old 16 Feb 2004, 18:43 (Ref:876069)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id like to see Chip in Europe in F1 ...then i might have some chance of getting my pen back that he nicked of me at Rockingham in 2001 ...

Last edited by Sato san; 16 Feb 2004 at 18:45.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 18:49 (Ref:876077)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The most 'realistic' possible contender we've heard for some time. Certainly Gannassi has the pedigree to put together a championship assault, and probably the backing/backers to do it.

If Bernie E expands the calendar to another USA race, plus Mexico, it may entice a US led team to enter. It would need manufacturer backing in reality - how about a GM/Ganassi entry...?
Old 16 Feb 2004, 19:09 (Ref:876094)   #7
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woah!! Am I psychic or what!!!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=48029

Quote:
the racing team/organisation

Ganassi
Scott Dixon is hailed as a future F1 star. If none of the current teams take an interest in him, why can't he do it with Chip? JV did with Craig Pollock and BAR...

So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 16 Feb 2004, 19:51 (Ref:876125)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Obviously forgetting that he started out with a top team, ie. Williams...
Scott Dixon is a loser on anything but an oval, PERIOD.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 16 Feb 2004 at 19:52.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 20:42 (Ref:876170)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Only problem being that Ganassi, as far as I am aware, have no history as a constructor, unlike, say Roger Penske or Dan Gurney.

Does Penske still have its car-building operation in Poole?
Old 16 Feb 2004, 20:49 (Ref:876176)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Penske does still.
Gurney is out of the business, although he might help out- he does have the windtunnel, and the pull. Penske- he has his hands in a lots of pots, and I wouldn't imagine he'd give it another go, Ganassi is the shark at the moment, and if he did launch an F1 effort who would back him?
Daimler chrysler is busy with MaclarenMercedes, Toyota- well they have their little TTE setup, and Ford is clearly spread thin- i owuld guess Toyota might be interested with Ganassi but the operation is still shaky and clearly in European hands. a Dodge effort as said is vs. Mercedes not gonna happen. adn GM? right- these guys would never do it, besides they'd argue "which" brand would be the engine badge. even though another Cadillac stab would be great...
maybe a Ganassi/Panoz/Gforce chassis operation and special engines from Falconer or mercedes. A US led team could never make it, unless they base out of the UK and then is it stilla US team? or just another f1 team struggling with points, victories and Identity..
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:09 (Ref:876183)   #11
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Scott Dixon is a loser on anything but an oval, PERIOD.
Didn't see him at Denver '02 then? He drove a brilliant race.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:14 (Ref:876186)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Id like to see Chip in Europe in F1 ...then i might have some chance of getting my pen back that he nicked of me at Rockingham in 2001 ...
Classic!

Hope it wasn't a Parker pen!
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:19 (Ref:876190)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If customer cars are to be allowed then maybe Chip could run year-old Toyotas.

If not, then maybe he could commission Lola or Dallara or whoever to build him a car - and he could get a supply of Toyota engines.

Not that either of these things will actually happen.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:21 (Ref:876192)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Don't rule it out! I we do get customer chassis, any number of people could come in, although I would prefer if they built their own chassis after a couple of years like Ron Dennis has suggested recently.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:25 (Ref:876199)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
If we do get customer chassis
We?

What are we going to call the team then?

You get the funding together and I'll audition the PR girls!
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:27 (Ref:876203)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

We'll call it "Kicking-Knowlesy"!
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:29 (Ref:876206)   #17
b.luther
Rookie

b.luther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ASCII Man/ I was unaware Dixon was such a loser, please take this time to add some weight to your opinion as you feel so strongly about it. I still have not made one yet.

PEACE
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:37 (Ref:876219)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As much as I think Chip Ganassi is a brilliant team owner, doing F1 is a totally different story. CART, IRL and NASCAR, involve finding the best of existing customer products, top sponsorship money, and good personel for a total package. But these series are not like F1 in most respects. F1 is mostly about building your own package from scratch. If customer cars were available, or a Lola/Dallara/Etc. chassis were available, he could enter. But to be successful, you need to hook up with a manufacturer and build your own concept. Either route, it would take a while to get up to speed, which, as we have seen, can kill teams.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:44 (Ref:876230)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

You don't have to build your own car, you could get Lola or Dallara to build it, as long as it was for your team's exclusive use.

But I agree you'd never be up front unless you had mammoth engineering facilities.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:06 (Ref:876256)   #20
b.luther
Rookie

b.luther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Chip would not succeed/(win consistently) without huge manufacturer backing nobody has and no one every will. That is why some forms of American(the land of opportunities) Racing are so great, manufacturer backing is not so crucial. Good hard team work wins races also, American Spirit Racing won in there first season just before going bankrupt. But it was still a great victory for a new team in its first year. When has that happened in F1 if every? Just wondering.

PEACE

p.s. I do realize they are two way different types of the same racing but in F1 it somtimes takes a Toyota/Jaguar situation to realise precisely how competitive F1 is,and how much money it does take to succeed.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:17 (Ref:876273)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by b.luther
But it was still a great victory for a new team in its first year. When has that happened in F1 if every? Just wondering.

Wolf. 1977.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:28 (Ref:876286)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I'd love to see this happen, I'm just not sure it will.

F1 takes a different kind of committment. Chip and his team would have to set-up shop in Europe, and live, eat, and breath F1 all year round. This couldn't be some kind of part-time set-up, it would take committed work on everyones part, and a huge investment, that I'm not sure can be put together. One only has to look at Michael Andretti's half-hearted committment to F1, to know it doesn't work, and he was just the driver, imagine a whole team and company!

God, I'd love to see it happen, but its got to be done right, or it would just be embarrassing...

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Feb 2004, 04:29 (Ref:876515)   #23
The Other Chris
Rookie

The Other Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Floyd Ganassi is a ****** simply put. He sucks on Toyota's teat in other series and lacks the capabilities to build his own chassis.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 04:32 (Ref:876516)   #24
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wolf might have done it in 1977 but that was the DFV 'kit-car' era, still one of the greatest times in F1. The beginning of the new millenium is a different ball game.

Regarding Dixon being a loser on anything but ovals...
He won a national FVee championship at 13 yrs old in his first season out of Karts. This he followed up with a national FF tile in class 2 cars and the year after that the National title in class 1 cars. A season in Australias version of F3000 followed and in his second season, at 16-17 years old he won the National title in those. The following year he ran Indy Lights and led rookie of the year standings all season till the last race and the Following year took the title.
There are no ovals in NZ and no active sealed ovals in Australia.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 05:05 (Ref:876531)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chip is a jerk much like the F1 bosses so he'd fit right in... Privateers are a dying bread. Unless Hyundai or VW wants to put in serious money, there is no way that anyone can really get into F1. $200M is now the enterance fee for the privalige of beating Minardi. That is serious money and as Jaguar and BAR have proven, it gaurentees nothing.

Dixon is good at keeping his foot planted and turning the wheel, how does that translate to F1? Besides that he had one good race in two years of CART and this causes him to be heralded as a future F1 driver?

Last edited by Snrub; 17 Feb 2004 at 05:09.