Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Dec 2000, 21:08 (Ref:53526)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Inspired by MinardiFan's "TOP 5 OF EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD EVER" chart, I just thought I'd post a topic that dredges up some of the smaller and (lets face it) more..... rubbish teams in the history of F1. eg. Andrea Moda (as I have mentioned), Coloni (were they the same team??), Rial, EuroBrun etc.

Can anyone rember the drivers? Even better, does anyone have any PICS of these long forgotten teams in their full and proud liveries?? Some of the cars were actually quite nice, if I remember. **** but nice. Others were downright pig ugly, wierd things. Any contributions much appreciated......
Old 20 Dec 2000, 21:44 (Ref:53535)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Rial...1989 - Christian Danner, I think.

That's a 1989 Rial.
Old 20 Dec 2000, 21:49 (Ref:53537)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Andrea Moda from 1992...

^ Never finished a race.

^ A 1987 Coloni - another DNF-mobile.

^ 1990 EuroBrun
Old 20 Dec 2000, 22:30 (Ref:53547)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, the name rings a bell, I think he drove the ice cream van
Old 20 Dec 2000, 23:32 (Ref:53565)   #5
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rial was a very nice car.

Can someone find a picture of the Simtek or the Pacific? They were gorgeous.

Old 21 Dec 2000, 00:10 (Ref:53576)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andrea Moda had Perry McCarthy as one of their drivers. On one immortal occasion, his race weekend covered a grand total of three metres - two metres across the pit blend line, and then one metre vertical as the engine blew, siezed the transmission solid and jerked the back end into the air.

And as he was stuck beyond the blend line, he had to wait for the session to end before he was trailered back to the pits.

Classic. Anything that could go wrong did. Perry once related that he was sure he was in the motor racing equivalent of the movie "Bedazzled". The devil gave him a GP drive, and then found a myriad of amusing little ruses to steal it away again.

As for the Coloni, I am delighted to see that a very brave 1/43 manufacturer is about to release a model of Bertrand Gachot's 1990 car. I think I might actually buy one!
Old 21 Dec 2000, 03:12 (Ref:53585)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
just a small correction ralf's girl..the picture of the Eurobrun is actually the 1989 car with Oscar Larrauri driving.

as for Andrea moda ..it was born out of the defunct Coloni team at the end of 1991..they purchased Coloni's "Franchise" and in fact used the 1991 Coloni chassis at the start of 1992..they started with drivers Alex caffi and Enrico Bertaggia but both drivers decided to jump ship after the teams dismal performance..i actually have a very rare picture of Alex caffi driving the car .

they were replaced by Roberto moreno and perry mcCarthy for rnd3 i believe..and as TimD has already pointed out Perry's career went from bad to worse with this team.

as for Moreno he somehow managed to get the car onto the grid for the Monaco grand prix..26th and last spot..but sadly he failed to finish when the engine failed on lap 11..it was a Judd V10 engine...the team became a complete joke and at one point Andrea Sassetti (team owner) was removed from the grand prix paddock for bringing the sport into disrepute..the team was eventually disqualified from GP racing and have never re emerged in motor racing again.

all of that from a shoe salesman...shall we call Mr. Sassetti Al Bundy
Old 21 Dec 2000, 09:08 (Ref:53602)   #8
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hahahahahahahaaha
That was my first reaction when I saw that heading.
But how many talented people have been wasted on these half-hearted programs.
Moreno, Caffi, McCarthy, Bertaggia, Larruri, Gustav Brunner, Danner, Allen Berg, Ghinzani, Alan Stroud, Nick Wurth.
All usually down to one individual who just does not understand what is needed either in racing or particularly F1.
I remember feeling so sorry for Enzo Osella after he was in floods of tears after Jarier had said he would never drive an Osella again. This followed on from yet another wheel flying off his car, the result of used parts being put back onthe cars. Poor Enzo just had a club racing mentality, and never grasped that F1 needed money.
It's good that these sort of teams are no longer around ruining people's careers.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 09:53 (Ref:53610)   #9
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A discussion between Andrea Moda and Perry McCarthy as in F1 Racing magazine one month.

Perry McCarthy : That steering column isn't working properly.
Andrea Moda : Yes, we know.
PM : What do you mean you know?
AM : We tested that steering column on Roberto's car last week and found it was flexing.
PM : So you put it on my car?
AM : Er... Yes.

That was how the relationship ended. Roberto Moreno must be Schumacher-like if he can qualify an Andrea Moda!

Does anyone have any pictures of the 1976 Kojima? That was a weird looking car.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 10:08 (Ref:53612)   #10
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
half of my stuff is still in portugal, but looking at the programme of the Portuguese GP in 90 here are some more really bad teams / drivers (ahem)

Life Racing - driver Bruno Giacomelli ( who used to hang aroung Estoril with Ivan Capelli)

Eurobrun - Roberto Moreno and Claudio Langes (who?)

Coloni - Bertrand Gachot

A portuguese driver - Pedro Matos Chaves - "drove" if we can call it that, for Coloni... i don't think he ever qualified for a GP... if he did it was once or twice!

Old 21 Dec 2000, 12:29 (Ref:53633)   #11
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pedro Chaves and Claudio Langes are the joint DNQ champions with 14 DNQs each!
Old 21 Dec 2000, 13:08 (Ref:53640)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
actually Gabriele Tarquini holds the record of most failures to Qualify with 40 failures.

but Claudio langes and Pedro Chaves and equal most of drivers who have never started a grand prix.

I used to like seeing these struggling teams..it gave people a ray of hope just like minardi is at the present time..maybe the last F1 team with the real feeling towards the sport and not just in it for the money..it was great to see some of these teams who may fail to qualify 10 times out of 16 ..but the joy ontheir faces the other 6 times was great to see..and as mentioned in an earlier post if a driver can manage to qualify one of these "hopeless" cars then maybe he does have potential to be in a top team and maybe he would get noticed.

they may not have been the best teams but they gave alot of guys a chance to drive in grand prix that mey not have happened if these teams were not there.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 21:46 (Ref:53726)   #13
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
..i actually have a very rare picture of Alex caffi driving the car .

That photo must be really worth something as a collectors item!

Caffi drove the old Coloni for only 1 lap at the 92 South African Grand Prix on Thursday afternoon. It was a lap that escaped almost everyone's attention - including FIA safety inspecter Roland Bruynseraede, who thought the 'Andrea Moda' hadn't made it on the track...

Old 22 Dec 2000, 01:28 (Ref:53754)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well actually i dont know if its a collectors item ..it was published in Murray Walkers grand prix year book of 1992..so if you have a copy of that then you would have a copy of the photo.
Old 22 Dec 2000, 10:14 (Ref:53786)   #15
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course I have a picture of the Simtek, the car that breaks down if you drive it too fast. At least that's the excuse we made up when Jos didn't finish again...

Old 22 Dec 2000, 19:42 (Ref:53855)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
Can someone find a picture of the Simtek or the Pacific? They were gorgeous.
Why certainly...

^ Simtek

^ Pacific (sorry, not a very good picture). One of Rory Byrne's...erm...less successful (to say the least) efforts...