Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jul 2004, 12:35 (Ref:1024764)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American GT Challenge in lime rock

Paul newman is at it again!
how fun does this series actually look and sound?
what a great organization once again to deliver this real t/a style stuff- oh and the V6's ad down on power as they might be actually are competitive....good stuff-guys.

PAUL NEWMAN EARNS PROVISIONAL LIME ROCK POLE

Lakeville, CT- The American GT Challenge series will test a dual qualifying session during the Lime Rock Park event. Drivers set a fast lap time during Friday’s qualifying session and will be provided the opportunity to better that time Saturday morning during a second qualifying session. The concept provided for varying results.

Three of the top five qualifiers had their times disallowed during a post session technical inspection. All three cars were found to be in violation of the ride height rules of two inches minimum. The times of Jack Busch, Peter Mohrhauser and Frank Ciopettini were removed. Paul Newman was the fastest car to pass tech inspection and earned the provisional pole position.

"I am getting to old for this," Newman quipped. "If I was only 75 again it would have been quicker."

The crew for the number 79 Happy Hands Massage Corvette will make a few subtle setup changes and look to better their time on Saturday. "I am going to load up on Geritol tonight, I’ll be even quicker tomorrow," Newman said.

Edsion Lluch [number 72 Don Q/El tuque Hotel and Resort Corvette] was pleased with his second place qualifying effort. "I am really enjoying the track," stated Lluch. "The competition and competitors in AGT are really excellent."

"It seems the older the better," said Lluch commenting on his being the second oldest driver in the field and qualifying second. "I will be waiting for the young guys when we race at Ponce in Puerto Rico in November," joked Edison.

For Jack Busch who set the quickest time on track at a :53.519, Saturday’s qualifying session will have to be run to set a starting position. "We put a new nose on the car after Pocono," said Busch. "We will need to adjust the height. It’s one of those things. It’s not a big deal, we’ll get back after it tomorrow."

Peter Mohrhauser completed qualifying session one second on the time sheets. But a technical violation saw the time rejected. Mohrhauser will use Saturday’s qualifying track time to make the starting field.

"I am happy to be where we were on the chart considering the experience we are up against," said Peter. "We will deal with the height issue. All of the teams in AGT have been very helpful with setup suggestions. I am relaxed, feel good. The race will be fun."

Charlie Webster [number 95 C.J. Webster of Canada Corvette] found the source of an engine misfire and the results showed an improvement in times. "We need more sessions to improve," offered Webster. "This is my first time here. We will make a setup change and improve upon the times. I also think adding fresh Goodyear tires will make a difference as well."
"The competition is very tight here," offered Frank Ciopettini. "The drivers run very clean. I am looking for a good run tomorrow."

Others in the paddock are looking to make some changes and see an improvement in lap times. "It was not as good as we would have liked," suggested Glen Seward [number 51 Farrel Seward Olds Aurora]. "The setup seems pretty good. I guess we are happy."

Bill Rozmajzl in the V6 powered number 9 Olds Cutlass found himself in the top five. "It went well," said Bill. "The V6 is a little down on power to the V8’s. I am pleased with the times in only our second competitive outing in the car."

"We are excited to be a part of the AGT. Everyone is pulling in the same direction and very helpful" Rozmajzl stated.

Notes on the session:
Gene Tataryn in the number 1 Paradigm Camaro didn’t make the qualifying session. Gene’s weekend came to an early ending with a blown motor during the practice session.

A damaged engine led to Chris Thompson’s premature conclusion on the event.

Scotty Quaille, did not participate in any of Friday’s session and will qualify during Saturday’s opportunity and compete in the AGT event.

The AGT will hold qualifying session number two at 9AM on Saturday. The AGT event will take place at 11:40AM for a duration of 50 minutes.
# # #
Old 3 Jul 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1024907)   #2
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any word on TV coverage of this series?

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller