Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Aug 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1072858)   #1
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brawn calls for Race of Champions

This is from Autosport. I’m not a subscriber, so can only get the snippet. Sounds like a sensible and exciting idea from Ross:

http://www.autosport.com/pc_subscrib...=39226&s=5&p=1

Ferrari's technical director Ross Brawn is advocating a return for a one-off non-championship Formula 1 race, much like the Race of Champions of the 1970's and early '80s, to try out new ideas and regulations before they are committed to the rulebook.

The suggestion comes after the latest meeting between F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the sport's team bosses at the Hungaroring failed to agree on revisions to the much-derided qualifying format currently in place. The team chiefs are said to have rejected Ecclestone's idea of awarding points during a standard qualifying session than deciding grid positions by a ballot.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1072862)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this is a great idea!
Old 20 Aug 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1072863)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sort of agree; I'd particularly like thi idea of a ROC run on a monomake basis, i.e. same car/engine for everybody
Old 20 Aug 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1072874)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More races and less testing always sounds like good news to me but I doubt you will get all teams to agree.Interesting that the last time there were more than the present 18 races,in 1972,no Ferraris bothered to turn up for any of the 7 non-championship races!
Old 21 Aug 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1073642)   #5
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it...and the Oulton Park Gold Cup version...
there used to be two every season in UK.

Funny thing is Ferrari hardly ever attended....so being cynical...there must be something in it for them...lol.

Cheers
Peter
Old 21 Aug 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1073654)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The starting money was never worth it for them in those days.

I like the idea. the point from Ross seems to be that they would be different to other races. I think this would only add to the weekend - having a different format would make all the teams haveto think a bit more and try different things.

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Aug 2004 at 14:17.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1073659)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seeing as there is only 1 current champion in f1 at the moment and he has a 99% win record whats the point?
Old 21 Aug 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1073661)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The main part of Ross' idea that I like is the idea that rule changes can be tested. Maybe then, team bosses could agree to things more easily (or not as the case may be).

I like that. I don't often agree with Ross, but this is a blinding idea.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1073662)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt Minardi could afford to take part in the events.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 15:06 (Ref:1073687)   #10
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi again...
"I doubt Minardi could afford to take part in the events. "

Maybe this were the suggestion from another topic...i.e. Top teams should put a certain percentage of earnings into a pot to help the poorer teams...

Just a thought.
Peter
Old 21 Aug 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1073699)   #11
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
A little off-topic
The RoC in 1973, I think, at Silverstone saw snow fall at one end of the circuit...
Any other F1 races seen snow?

In 1970 the Gold Cup saw Rienne Wiessel spin the Lotus turbine coming up the hill just before the pits.

Cheers
Peter
Old 21 Aug 2004, 16:44 (Ref:1073717)   #12
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not use the Minardi two seaters for one lap qualifyer like the friday is now. This way it would be fun with members of the public and ballest to make all cars the same weight? Could have them in the sponsors colours - one car per team and that would give Minardi money and bring the fans into the arena of F1 a bit more.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1073778)   #13
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they do it with identical cars then the idea is excellent
That way they can REALLY see who's a good driver and who's being flatered by their machinery

Come to think of it...why doesn't the world championship allways work this way?????
Because were stuck with the present garbage series

What the world needs is the complete seperation of the drivers and constructors championships

That's the trouble with suggesting cool things that would imrove f1-it just shows how far beyond help f1 has become
Old 21 Aug 2004, 19:08 (Ref:1073804)   #14
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its a great idea ....They should hold it somewhere like :

Paul Ricard ,
Adelaide ,
or
Elkhart Lake
Old 21 Aug 2004, 19:51 (Ref:1073826)   #15
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
1978 International Trophy race was won by one K.Rosberg in the Theodore,so maybe Minardi could win an F1 race.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1073839)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmmm, why not at Bathurst?

Bouncey, bouncey through the big dip!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 21 Aug 2004 at 20:18.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1073855)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bathurst would be a bit too dangerous in an F1 car.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1073870)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
One look at those concrete walls going down The Dipper would have all the F1 drivers of today filling their pants.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1073873)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure most of the F1 drivers would happily drive at Bathurst in a suitable car, but the performance of an F1 car would be too fast for the circuit.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1073874)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Come on KB, they're men aren't they!

Nah, they'd never race at Bathurst. It'd be tough on the cars as much as anything.
Old 22 Aug 2004, 23:55 (Ref:1074731)   #21
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off topic but you guys took it there.There are currently 4 F1 drivers who have expressed an interest in driving in both the LeMans 24hr race and at Bathurst.
They are M.Webber(quil for Lemans but didn't race),Trullie,
TGF (more so LeMans)and JPM.I do know for fact that 3 of the 4 drivers do get taped copies of the race sent to them.

The Grumpy1
Old 23 Aug 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1075029)   #22
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
I remember many F1 drivers used to race in all kinds of categories from regular F2 drives to the occasional rally. Maybe todays drivers are to tied into corporate restrictions....etc.
It could be a reason why MS plays soccer occasionally(?).
Some more cynical might say they earn enough not to bother, but I think most would love a chance to do at least some of the more famous events.

Cheers
Peter
Old 23 Aug 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1075114)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is not just the corparate restrictions. Today F1 takes up more of your time. Both during a GP weekend and other time. Debreifings, training, testing are all things that keeps a modern driver 'committed' to F1. Mores the pity.

Michael has also expressed an opinion that Le Mans is 'too dangerous', however that was some time ago now, maybe he has changed his mind. He was certainly quick there back in '91.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1075138)   #24
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
MS is quick anywhere...
even down to breakfast I should imagine..

Cheers
Peter
Old 23 Aug 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1075154)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

The dangerous thing about Le Mans is not the track as such, more the fact that while tanking along in your Audi R8 you could happen across some ****** in a Porsche 911 going very slowly - potentially horrific closing speeds.