Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Dec 2004, 21:15 (Ref:1190758)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pantano May Come to CC

According to this article: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/14487/

It sounds like Pantano might end up in CC and has talked to multiple CC teams. I get the impression that if Pantano doesn't have the funds to pay for a Minardi drive he might end up with a CC drive.

So what are your thoughts, now that we've seen him for much of a season @ Jordan, do we want Pantano in CC? Who might he end up with? Perhaps he wouldn't even have to pay to be in CC?

Last edited by Snrub; 31 Dec 2004 at 21:16.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1190759)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's better than he looked in F1 last year, I'm certain of that. The car was a horrible one to drive, he didn't get much testing, and the wrangling between jrodan adn his management made him largely unwanted in the team. He was unlucky that the one race he missed mid-season (Canada) was the one where the Jordans had an easy run to points as others dropped out. He oculd've ended up in ChampCar in 2003, and it's a shame he didn't.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1190774)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The Jordan chassis has been basically junk these past couple of years. Almost anyone would look bad driving it. Good as Heidfeld is he has looked horrible at times. To be honest, he and Pantano have probably had to drive their testosterone-producing glands off to keep it out of the gravel, let alone qualify decently.

I think Pantano has the goods. He is certainly better than most of the Mexicans (including Jourdain, sorry folks), The Rookie Sensation and Gaston Mazzacane by a country mile.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1190801)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Pantano got ripped off for $5m cos he was so desperate to get into F1. He is fundamentally very talented at all the things that make a great DRIVER. He never had the chance to show whether he had the talent to be a great test-pilot, which is more what F1 is about these days. In CC he is genuinely a potential race-winner. Like he would have been in pre-1993 F1.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 23:33 (Ref:1190811)   #5
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree Pantano is definitely a talented guy, let down by circumstance in F1. To come straight out of karting and win the Formula Palmer Audi Winter Series, then German F3 championship the year after, is no mean feat. In F3000 he was impressive in his second and third years, despite running with Coloni and Durango, who were not front-running teams before. I hope he gets a good ride in Champ Car.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 02:51 (Ref:1190858)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He would be a good addition to the field.

Lets hope he learns talent needs application.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 05:27 (Ref:1190891)   #7
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know....one day I wish Champcar can attract drivers who WANT to be here rather than those who've had the F1 door slammed in their faces!

No offence to Justin or Sebastian BTW, I'm extremely happy they're hear, but I'm sure you get the point!

....Fortunatly (for us) F1 is about to self destruct in the next few years (you don't have to be psychic to know that! ) so who knows if whatever series that emerges will be as highly regarded?

Last edited by codename_47; 1 Jan 2005 at 05:27.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1190975)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
He would be a good addition to the field.
I would have to disagree there kb, in my view he would only be good for making up numbers.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1190981)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An F3000 race-winner, a former F3 champion. Those are much better credentials than many on the grid or being touted for it (Mazzacane, Philippe, Marshall etc), so yes, he would be potentially competitive.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1190988)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
An F3000 race-winner, a former F3 champion. Those are much better credentials than many on the grid or being touted for it (Mazzacane, Philippe, Marshall etc), so yes, he would be potentially competitive.
Yes, he's had a good carrer prior to F1, but he under performed in F1, and hasn't done his image well.

I don't mean to be harsh but Champ Car doesn't need F1 rejects.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1190992)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Luke, Pantano has doen a lot more than merley F1, and been successful in everything else, and there are a lot of reasons why his circumstances in F1 were unusually tough. Like Wilson he'd be a great addition to the grid.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1190995)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I hope I'm wrong.

But, if you place him against Philippe and co, he would deserve a drive.

Last edited by luke; 1 Jan 2005 at 13:12.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1190997)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pantano was certainly made to look second-rate by his teammate and an uncooperative Jordan chassis last year and is certainly better than his results showed.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1191097)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Pantano could be good in Champcar. But much depends how confident he is after what has been a very bad year for him. He was overshadowed massively by Nick Heidfeld (no shame there really), was driving a biscuit tin on wheels and was then dropped.

He could be broken mentally.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1191107)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just what does being overshadowed by Heidfeld mean? Nick has been quicker than all his teammates except maybe Frentzen. I think Pantano had a very tall order at Jordan.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1191120)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know, but believe it or not some expected Pantano to overshadow Frentzen, who was coming off the back of being embarrassed by Frentzen.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1191136)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Frentzen being embarrassed by Frentzen?
Or what?
Old 1 Jan 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1191139)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Heidfeld he means, ASCII Man
Old 1 Jan 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1191154)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Indeed.

Taxi for Knowlesy!
Old 1 Jan 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1191260)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing is... Frentzen did not embarass Heidfeld. I think they were quite par the time they were together, though maybe Heinz had the edge.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1191276)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Heinz brought home the results!

I think he was often quicker than Nick too, although my memory of Sauber in 2003 is quite vague! Where were they?
Old 1 Jan 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1191314)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Pretty much evenly matched - with one good result at the USGP when they both took points, with HHF ahead.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1192217)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HHF is a terrific driver, but I'd agree that he only had a bit of an edge over Heidfeld. Given that Sauber blamed all their woes in that season on what I think was a very strong driver lineup, I don't know if the team situation was that nice. I think that adds doubt to the ability of both drivers to perform at their best.

Last edited by Snrub; 3 Jan 2005 at 14:42.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1192253)   #24
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He could be broken mentally.[/QUOTE]

Let me tell the following story:
Barcelona 26/27 February 2003. Pre-season testing Nissan world series,
22 drivers testing, first day and morning of 2nd day rain and little testing.
I am race engineering for the Italian team GD racing and the owner tells me
Pantano would turn up to make a seat. Team had had awful 2002 season
with pay-drivers and setups were not competitive. This test to be my first time with the team and our car setup to standard original Dallara recommended settings. All the other teams having one year of running experience and well developped car setups. It will be Pantano' first time in a Nissan world series car which is particular due to his ground effect aero.
So Pantano is driving for us a total of 4 series of 4timed laps with used tyres in dry conditions, then he is in the pits with engine problems. We fix them and fit first and only new set of tyres to end the day. At that stage he is 13th. Out of the pits - first timed lap and second best off all the 22 cars - second timed lap and off the road being splittime wise quickest up to penultimate turn. he comes to the pits, excuses for the bent nose and asks for his position: Then him:"only second, ****!"
Just to tell you Pantano is a born racer and never accepts second place.
Mentally hard as a rock. If he enters Champcar he will deliver and fight
for winning. he is by far the best active racing driver of Italy.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1192262)   #25
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he will shine in CCs if he gets a decent drive. What I do not understand is why he tested for a few good F1 teams and never made it to the top.