Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1216621)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault

Itv has reported that teams are impressed with the pace of the renaults. I know its just testing but its really interesting to see their pace. I think Ferrari are having issues. The ugly front wing suggests to me they are getting a little desperate for grip... I know nothing...

Anyway, BAR seems to be struggling while Renault may have found the answer. They actually seem like a real threat to the title if testing is any indication.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1216625)   #2
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might want to look at the 'Testing from Valencia 02/02/05' thread.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1216629)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari's pace is pretty good for an iterim car - the F2004M was only 3 tenths slower than set in the 2004 spec car. I think maximise grip is probably Ferrari's definition!

They are all looking to claw back grip, particularly the amount lost with the reduced diffuser, so I'm sure we will plenty of sproutings on the cars before we hit Melbourne and during the year.

It was great pace from Renault and it seems they were only longish stints as well. The only rider is that Valencia is well known for producing good performances that aren't able to be replicated elsewhere. Think back 12 months, DC was setting fast times around Valencia in the McLaren that proved to be so wayward at other tracks, similarly see the Sauber thread - they were quick at Valencia and then found themselves in all sorts of trouble at Barcelona.

As you say, testing is hard to evaluate - certainly 1st practice at Melbourne is going to be very keenly awaited by us and nervously anticipated by the teams.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1216698)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good points ST

Overall renault shouldn't be underestimated.
Every year, pre-season ,they say they have improved (compared to others) and are one of the few teams that can say this without it being PR bullspit
Old 3 Feb 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1216843)   #5
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Itv has reported that teams are impressed with the pace of the renaults. I know its just testing but its really interesting to see their pace. I think Ferrari are having issues. The ugly front wing suggests to me they are getting a little desperate for grip... I know nothing...
Correct. You know nothing. As we all don't since Ferrari have not revealed their real 2005 machine yet, just their interim car. However, that was going at quite a decent pace earlier in testing, so who knows.
I agree, though: ugly most of the time doesn't mean fast while slick and beautiful does.
But: who says that Ferrari MUST be the fastest car again? Sure, they have been since 99 and I am quite happy about this, but it is not a god given that they always will be.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1216849)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed it is not a given although many people (Sir Frank Williams included) believe that Ferrari will indeed produce another clever design.

Hopefully it will prove to be much closer than last year, and on face value the cars seems to be faster than the new regs suggested they might be.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1216851)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi
C
But: who says that Ferrari MUST be the fastest car again? Sure, they have been since 99 and I am quite happy about this, but it is not a god given that they always will be.
Blasphemy!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 02:08 (Ref:1217069)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember this time last year, someone from Williams saying Renault could be title contenders... and two months prior to that, everyone was talking up McLaren's chances.

Sadly I can't see past Ferrari & Schumi again for 2005. To be honest I'm looking forward to the Champ Car, Moto GP and IRL seasons a lot more. I shall watch Oz live, and hope it pleasantly surprises, but i won't get my hopes up.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 02:18 (Ref:1217077)   #9
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Renault have improved in leaps and bounds over the last 3 years and I can see that happening yet again. Not quite enough for 1st place in either of the championships, but they aren't too far away. Flav just has to make sure that Fernando doesn't get poached by Ferrari, although he pretty much controls that being Fernando's pimp...er manager.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1217166)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing that REALLY worries me about renault is wether they'll gradually get lost with chassis settup.
Last year they either deliberately made the car understeer as part of a great settup for getaways..or they are making dodgey choices now that MG is gone.

I would like to think it's all well planned and they completely know what they are doing.Maybe we'll find out for sure this year?
Old 4 Feb 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1217247)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Thats a good point RWC - perhaps we tend to forget that much of Ferrari's success is down to team performance over the entire season.

Not only is their car development always spot on, their strategy calls are excellent and you rarely (although on occasion) see a botched pit stop.

Other teams often start with great promise, then drop the ball. BAR faded mid-season last year, Renault had a blank patch as well.

Aside from developing a car and engine to rival Ferrari, you have to develop the entire team to another level as well. IMO.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1217292)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which obviously after 5 years of learning, no one seem to master it yet
Old 4 Feb 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1217331)   #13
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The R25 looks to be a fine car; recording impressive times over long runs.

Just looked this up:
http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_18573.shtml