Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 18 Jan 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1204232)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Robby Gordon seemingly confirms Indy 500 effort

From Jayski.com:

Quote:
INDY 500 plans: Saying that his biggest weakness last year was engines, Robby Gordon said the team will run Menard engines and are testing the new Menard restrictor plate engine here at Daytona. The first restrictor plate engine ever produced by Menard. The parts for the engines are produced in England and assembled in the States on a Chevrolet block. Utilizing a total of four sponsors in 9 race packages. The next sponsor will be announced tomorrow and the other sponsors by the time the Daytona 500 begins in February, Gordon also talked about his departure from Richard Childress Racing saying that he was not fired and that there is no rift between him and Childress. Gordon also seemed(?) to say that he will be running the Indianapolis 500 this year. He said that a sponsor deal is "on the table" and that he is now an owner. "Last year I had to leave early, this year, I'm a car owner and I don't have to leave early," Gordon said.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 05:32 (Ref:1204411)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
excellent , I think given the right circumstances and good car robby can finally win Indy.

But Ive always been a fan of his , I hope he does do indy and HE is behind the wheel
Old 19 Jan 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1204448)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really hope it's all true.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1205005)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know we had heard rumors of Gordon starting up an IndyCar team, but is that whats happened? Or does he now own a NASCAR team?

Also, why does he say that he doesn't have to leave the Indy 500 early to go over to the 600, because he is now a team owner? With the new earlier time of the Indy 500, I would think he would have to leave the race earlier than ever.

I'm so confused!

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Jan 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1205024)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As the team owner he would be able to skip the NASCAR 600.

I'd actually like to see Robby bring his team full time to IndyCar - he always seemed better suited to it than NASCAR
Old 20 Jan 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1205471)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The IndyCar website has more on this. It's basically the same as printed above, although it's a bit longer and includes mention about potentially having a sponsor for the '500:

Quote:
Gordon: Not out of the question
Robby Gordon says competing in the 89th Indianapolis 500 is not out of the question. “Another nice thing about being a team owner is that if I want to run the Indy 500, I can do that now,” he said during a press conference this week. “We have a sponsor for the Indy 500. It’s sitting on the desk and it’s been sitting there for a month. We’re just a little hesitant to sign it because you want to be careful what you wish for - you just might get it. And then we’d have to do that program too. We did race it last year and raced inside the top 10 with our own team and then I had to leave. This year, I really wouldn't have to leave.”
Old 20 Jan 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1205485)   #7
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I'd actually like to see Robby bring his team full time to IndyCar - he always seemed better suited to it than NASCAR
Agreed, but at the same time the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series is where the money is - even if you run mainly in the top-15 you still bring in more money than being a front-runner in IndyCar.

Not to mention a successful Cup effort - or even a semi-successful one - could help bring attention and sponsors to a potential IndyCar team as well.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1205488)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Speaking of cross-promotion, I see now that Robby Gordon has signed Jim Beam as one of the four sponsors he'll have for his Cup effort (a nine-race deal with Fruit of the Loom, his Busch sponsor, was announced a couple of days ago).

Perhaps the Jim Beam connection could lead to some sort of co-operation between his potential IndyCar team and AGR.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1205579)   #9
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see where you are going rusty fan...and I like it...

''Michael hit me goddamnit!'' *ram*
Old 21 Jan 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1206022)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think it is a question of being a team-owner allowing him to skip the 600. If he isn't in the running for the title - and, much though I admire Robby Gordon, it doesn't look like he will be - what's the harm in skipping one of thirty-odd Cup races when he has a good shot at winning the Indy 500? You pay the piper, you call the tune.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1206047)   #11
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he's got sponsorship for the 600, I doubt his sponsors would be too keen on him not entering just so he can do the 500. It'd be better to keep a reserve driver ready with his Cup team, just in case the 500 runs overtime again.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 06:48 (Ref:1206103)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antrodemus
If he's got sponsorship for the 600, I doubt his sponsors would be too keen on him not entering just so he can do the 500. It'd be better to keep a reserve driver ready with his Cup team, just in case the 500 runs overtime again.
Considering the 500 starts one hour later this year there is pretty much no way he'll be able to do the double, unfortunately.