Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jan 2005, 04:42 (Ref:1207571)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren MP4-20 - debuts (inc images)

Team McLaren Mercedes will run its 2005 challenger, the MP4-20 for the first time on Monday, January 24th at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona, Spain.

The team has planned an exclusive test week at the Circuit de Catalunya, but will be open to the media on Monday. Photographs and further details on MP4-20 will be available on Monday on www.mclaren.com.

I can't wait to see the car, I have high hopes!
Old 23 Jan 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1207604)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly, i anticipate Mclaren's latest car. The previous two years produced lemons, and if the 2nd half of 2004 is by any standard..Mclaren should be on the way back up.

I'd like to see what innovations Mclaren have in store for us.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1207705)   #3
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4wd ?
Old 23 Jan 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1207717)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm with you Gt_R, I expect special things of MP4/20.

It is my feeling that McLaren will challenge Ferrari closer than anybody this year.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1207726)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
4wd ?
Not serious I aussme, but it has been done before and is banned!

I expct the back end to be one of the best packaged.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1207785)   #6
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
4wd ?
Nah, I reckon a folding hardtop like an SLK and big "bling" chrome wheels!

(still be faster than the 19a)
Old 23 Jan 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1207794)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will have spikes coming out the wheels... ala. Grease
Old 23 Jan 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1207796)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes, i reckon Mercedes and BMW will be going all out to try and "out-bling" each other.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1207802)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In all seriousness - I expect this to be a very good looking car, plenty of attention to detail.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1207856)   #10
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully McLaren will be on the up again with this one. I was kind of dissapointed after their last good jolt at Ferrari in 2003.
2004 I thought spelt the end for every other F1 team and Ferrari dominance was unstoppable but I still have hope for McLaren and I hope they get back on track and put on a good show in Melbourne.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1207857)   #11
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm with knowlesy expecting mclaren to be the main challengers this season, they probably have the best 2 driver line up of anyone. can't wait to see the car.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1207867)   #12
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Well Kimi went very well in the latter part of 04 and Montoya still has that win in Brazil to back him up.
I'm thinking very positivley about them for definite
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1207872)   #13
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For McLaren to win the championship they must first beat Ferrari and to do that I think car design has to go into a completely new level. McLaren have achived this before and they will do it again Bring on the MP4-20. We will know if its a world beater if other teams question its legality
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1207882)   #14
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Well, if they take the improvements that Ferrari have put on their cars between 2000-present, and then see what they have missed out on, they should get the answer.
Of course, they can't just copy Ferrari but I'm sure there is some secret ingredient that they've used to get the results in 98 and 99 and then maybe they got lazy. I think they've woken up over the last year or so and I have a good feeling about this new car.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1207884)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
That all may change come July as there are rumours gathering pace that Adrian Newey is going to return to Williams.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1207888)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Monster - those rumours have been going on for nearly a year now - I really do not think that will happen.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1207890)   #17
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
That would be bad news for McLaren indeed. Adrian is probably the most experienced man out of the McLaren crew and I certainly wouldn't like to see him part with McLaren having been with them for the past few years.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1207895)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Adrian is not the most experienced man at McLaren.

But with Neil Oatley, Mike Coughlan and the ex-Ferrari man Tombazis, the team would be able to cope with his departure, I believe.

If Newey is to leave, it's more likely he'll be leaving F1 than going to another team.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1207901)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Arggh!
I've not being paying attention to team launch dates so I don't get frustrated waiting for them, and then this thread appears and its a day early I guess I'll just have to sit and wait....

Anyway, I think this will be a good looking car too. But then the MP4/19 was, and it wasn't any good, but we'll see.
If anything, I'd be confident about the chassis being excellent (Ron won't have allowed another rubbish car out of his workshops) but I don't know if I can say I have the same confidence about the engine...
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1207902)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

The Mercedes engine will be strong I believe.

Since Martin Whitmarsh went up and took control of management at Ilmor things have improved dramatically.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1207922)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it'll be reliable at the very least. Maybe just a little down on power compared to the Ferraris and Hondas of this world.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1207926)   #22
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Well, not the most experienced man at McLaren, is Newey, but losing his aid as designer doesn't help and if he does go to Williams, it will probably be 1 up for them.
Although, I do agree that if he is to leave, its for good and not for another team.

Last edited by P.Cummins; 23 Jan 2005 at 15:17.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1207932)   #23
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mclaren will not be good this year. Mclaren will not be good this year. Mclaren will not be good this year... This whole 'no expectation, no disappointment' thing better work. Last two years ive had my heart crashed. Mclaren will not be good this year. Not anymore I say!

Seriously, alot of things are in Mclarens favor this year compared to other years, they have two awesome drivers, have had a few offseasons to get their drive back, but I seriously am not investing too much faith into them, I dont want to be disappointed... again.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1207943)   #24
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know where you are coming from. Its that moment in the first qualifying session of the season when we discover that they are about 1-1.5 seconds of the pace and then you hear the old story of "are aim is mid season we have some new parts coming". However I think things will be different this season for McLaren, we must remember that they have been working on a long term program getting all the right people in the right places. Testing will be interesting as I am sure you all can recall from this time last year during testing when is was found out that the merc engine was down in power big time. By the way if there car is anything like there new amazing headquarters....they will blow everbody away
Old 23 Jan 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1207946)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well the fruits of the new headquarters were beginning to show with MP4/19B, hence the general good feeling about MP4/20's prospects.