Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ Car 2005: More Talent Than Sponsors

Interesting article from speedtv.com:
Quote:
If all the guys walking around at Sebring in drivers suits during last week’s “Spring Fling” test end up driving in the 2005 Champ Car World Series, it’ll be a helluva spectacle. I mean, who ever figured there’d come a day when an FIA International Formula 3000 champion one year removed would be itching to drive for Dale Coyne Racing? Or that the list of aspirants for HVM, Inc. (formerly Herdez Competition) would include one guy on his way out of Formula 1, another potentially on his way in . . . and another, less-celebrated, guy who may have been the best of the lot? Or that the fastest guy in the whole test would be another Formula 1 refugee in a Rocketsports entry?
Old 30 Mar 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1265718)   #2
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov
Interesting article from speedtv.com:
I liked this quote: "as Coyne joked, “It’ll be the same as usual: we’ll make our driver announcement Friday morning at Long Beach, then go out and practice.”"
Old 31 Mar 2005, 04:13 (Ref:1265898)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting article. The premise of the title being that there won't be many sponsors is looking to be true, which is a shame. I think there will be more dollars flowing than last year, but perhaps not a lot more.

I was thinking we're always complaining about the CC ladder system and there is some complaints about the IRL ladder system, but I think F1 has a big problem with it too. CC has Junky, Bourdais, Wilson, Bjorn in its ranks, who does F1 have? The whole excuse of F1 drivers being picked up early is IMO BS. CC will also have recent Atlantics drivers in the form of AJ, RHR, Ranger, Valiente and possibly Bremer. I know that further improvements need to be made with CC's ladder, but it's a lot better than it was in the not so distant past.

Any complaints regarding the quality of the field are completely void now.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 06:15 (Ref:1265928)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula One has Webber (Runner up), Alonso, Heidfeld (Champ), Montoya (Champ), Coulthard (IIRC Did a season and ahalf before being drafted into the main game), Ralf Schumacher (Japense F3000), Friessacher .

Driver picked up early include, Schu Sr, Rubiho, Button, Sato and Raikonnen, Klien. (I'm asuming early = or < Formula 3) and I think Fisco only did Italian F3 before being picked up by Minardi or what have you...

Plus most test drivers are F3000 Ex-pats.

Last edited by Hazza; 31 Mar 2005 at 06:16.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 06:21 (Ref:1265930)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But interestingly
2004 V.Liuzzi - F1 Tester
2003 B.Wirdheim - Champcars
2002 S.Bourdais - "
2001 J.Wilson - (ex F1) Champcars
2000 B.Junqeuira - (Ex F1 Tester) Champcars
1999 N.Heidfeld - F1
1998 JP.Montoya - F1
1997 R.Zonta - F1 Tester
1996 J.Müller - Touring Cars
1995 V.Sospir - Don't know
1994 JC.Boullion - Sports Cars
Old 31 Mar 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1265943)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This year's ChampCar field is certainly better in terms of talent than most people had expected or even hoped.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1266502)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't include people like Seriva or PT in the CC list because I figured that's not relevent to how the system is working today. Accordingly DC, Ralf and JPM (who incedently used CC as his way in) wouldn't be valid in the F1 case. Being a test driver means like a 1/20 shot at a real seat.

Quote:
This year's ChampCar field is certainly better in terms of talent than most people had expected or even hoped.
I couldn't agree more. Compare the credentials of the field in the last ten years to this one. It's really stong.