Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 11 Aug 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1380296)   #1
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy 100th Birthday Shelsley Walsh

Today the 12th August 2005 is the 100th anniversary of the first ever meeting at Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb, the oldest motor sport venue still in use over the original course.

To the grandaddy of them all, a happy 100th and here's to another 100.

MAC members will be gathering at the hill today for a special celebration before repairing to the Chateau Impney for a gala dinner
Old 12 Aug 2005, 01:48 (Ref:1380341)   #2
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well done...

Bathurst is our oldest (I think)

In 1938, the world famous circuit around Mount Panorama was constructed, originally intended as a tourist road, with stunning views of the nearby plains. The Bathurst Light Car Club was quick to realise the potential of this new road for its members and ever since then, the tourist route has been host to regular race meetings.

The first such meeting was held on April 18, 1938 and was organised by the New South Wales Light Car Club and the Auto Cycle Union as a joint car/motorcycle race. A staggering 35,000 spectators came out to watch these machines, setting the benchmark for subsequent events.

DKGandBH
Old 12 Aug 2005, 06:37 (Ref:1380395)   #3
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Happy birthday from me.
I'll be there today. In fact i'll be there in about an hour.
Let's hope we all have a pleasant day and Midland Rescue only move to get the tea's in.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1380878)   #4
ranoff
Racer

Kind messages

DKGandBH
Thank you for the kind words. Mt Panorama is a favourite venue of mine and of course it doubles as a hillclimb! The closest venue to my favourite town of Dunedoo as well.

Dude
A good day today! No scones went uneaten. Enjoy Loton and will see everybody next weekend at Shelsley. Shame I could not stay for BBQ and booze up in paddock. This dose of summer cold has made me feel very dodgy.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1381002)   #5
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good day was had by all. And an enjoyable evening.
Sorry that you missed it ranoff.

Mind you, I don't know how Pat "Startline" Mather managed to eat any barbeque after the amount of scones and cream he put away at tea time.

See you all next weekend for the Big One.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1381286)   #6
ranoff
Racer

Pat Mather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade
Pat "Startline" Mather
Possibly the world's most photographed marshal. We ought to start a thread! With his skills at the table I fully expect a world scone shortage especially if Rescue Dude and BlackX are in his squad!

Unfortunately I am worse today.

Reports from the Chateau Impney suggest that the official centenary dinner was better than expected. My insider said it was superb. Simon Taylor a real class act with sensible interviews with his victims between courses i.e Victor Riley, Mac Hulbert, Bruce Spollon, Sue Young, Margaret Blankstone-Joiner, Martin Groves, David Grace etc. El Presidente gave a very short and sensible speech when proposing the toast to SW.
Also present were Tom Wheatcroft and the head of the MSA.
Some amusement when Margaret Blankstone - Joiner said that she would like to drive again but this husband would not approve but the first one would have and some amazement when Martin Groves described a slow run being one where one has not reached Kennel at 100mph and crossing at 125mph !!! Martin Groves and others said that there is more to come if track conditions are right.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1381328)   #7
Fireblade
Racer

You will find it is Margaret Blankstone-Schoiber, ranoff. Her 2nd husband is Wolfgang Schoiber, nice chap but could not be called a racing car enthusiast.
She wasn't hanging around herself into Kennel Bend yesterday was she?
(Will excuse the spelling mistake as you are not the only one guilty this weekend, lol.)

At the "alternative" evening do at Shelsley Walsh last night there was a program for for tha bash at the Chateaux. Much mirth was had by the assembled party at the spelling mistakes on the Committee page. Just glad that I was nowhere in the vicinity of El President when he got to view it.

I agree regarding Pat Mather, he has featured in many published pics fom the Shelsley startline over the years. And has always looked the same.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1381560)   #8
rescue dude
Veteran

England
The "alternative " party was great fun especially the shaving display
Part one. The Chevron bar should be great for part two.
Hope you feel better Ranoff and yes Black x and i will be hitting the food and drink at the Centenary meeting.

See you there.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1382165)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now have my TVRA shirt and looking forward to next week-end. Had a lovely day on Friday - the club members have some wonderful cars. I'll put some photos on the Marshals Post website in the next day or two. Very pleased that my duties for the day meant I got to drive up the hill on it's birthday. I feel part of an exclusive club.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1382241)   #10
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Before you do, I'd just like to say it was cold and raining and the least any chivalrous Marshal would do as his duty *ahem*
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1382245)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, not the photos of that, but ones of some of the cars in the Shelsley paddock.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 06:52 (Ref:1382393)   #12
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
Hope you feel better Ranoff and yes Black x and i will be hitting the food and drink at the Centenary meeting.

See you there.

Indeed we will..............Had a quick rehersal this weekend at Loton and all seemed to go well so looking forward to it..

Again....Hope you brighten up soon ranoff and look forward to seeing you at The World Famous.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1382721)   #13
ranoff
Racer

MAC classic car run

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
Hope you brighten up soon
Lot better this morning thanks although I still seem to have a freight train running through my ears!

Tomorrow (Tuesday 16th August) is the MAC classic car run around the locations of all four former MAC hill climb venues that pre-date Shelsley.

So thats Wetheroak (1902, not far from Gorcott), Gorcott (near Mappleborough Green, 1901, 1902), Sun Rising (1903, 1904) & Middle Hill (Broadway, 1905). They will drive over as near to the original courses as possible. Only a few hundred yards near the finish is possible at Middle Hill which was a 1.6 miles. I was shown a copy of the original beautifully drawn map on Friday. If the difficulties within the club had been overcome who knows where we could have been celebrating this summer!! As it was, there was open revolt within the membership and pretty soon the invitation by Mr Taylor of the Court House Shelsley Walsh "to permit the open hill climb on August 12th to be held on his private road" was gratefully accepted and the rest is history.

I will position myself on Sun Rising from midday with camera looking for suitable shots for the club website and MAC News. When they are all through I will gather the signs from the bottom then off to Shelsley.

They will be departing from Shelsley startline from 10:00 at (I think) one minute intervals turning left at the triangle back down to the lane then away all using tulip-style maps. Should take about four hours and there will be a bit of a gathering in the paddock with a jazz band from mid afternoon.

Hope to see any others that can gather.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1383180)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Should be popping down after work. I've got a caravan to move for a start which is currently sullying the paddock. It will be good to see a few there and hopefully purchase some of Pam's fayre for tea.

Hope you're feeling better, Eddie, this isn't the right week to be suffering.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1385912)   #15
Fireblade
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Should be popping down after work. I've got a caravan to move for a start which is currently sullying the paddock. It will be good to see a few there and hopefully purchase some of Pam's fayre for tea.

Hope you're feeling better, Eddie, this isn't the right week to be suffering.
Strange that you chose Tuesday night then, woolley.
Seeing as the bar was open for the Centenary Tour event, lol.

Moving the caravan was as good an excuse as any I suppose. Shame you got caught up in that motorway snarl up.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1385944)   #16
rescue dude
Veteran

England
And did you get charged £30 to camp?
If they think i'm gonna pay to camp they got another thing coming!!!!!!!!

As Mr T might say; " I PITY THE FOOL WHO ASK'S ME FOR MONEY "
Old 21 Aug 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1387819)   #17
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
RobC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some pics from the celebrations today Clicky
Old 22 Aug 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1388303)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
The bar was just a fortunate coincidence... OK, no it wasn't! I gather there was a bit of confucion over camping charges, but I beleve it was sorted. No marshal should have been charged, and if anyone was and hasn't been refunded, contact the office or let me know.

What a fantastic week-end, though. Good sport, good company, good beer. Very tired today, though.