Old 7 Sep 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1401432)   #1
Dylanl
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Dylanl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some Ideas for Formula 1

Hi All,

I have just been thinking about how Formula 1 should become more like MotoGP. Here are the ways that I think the sport can be improved:

1) Take the Feeder Series (GP2) along to every Formula 1 round. Yes, even the overseas races such as USA, Australia, Malaysia etc. This will enable fans to follow the up-and-coming stars such as Heikki Kovalainen and Scott Speed, as many have followed Marco Melandri and Valentino Rossi make their way through the 125cc and 250cc classes.
2) Develop Formula1.com. Although I am not a subscriber of MotoGP.com, the idea behind it is great (or at least what I think is the idea behind it). You pay a race-by-race OR season-by-season fee that allows you to tune into every single session of a Formula 1 Grand Prix weekend and watch the session unfold. They could use commentary from the trackside PA System (Bob Constanduros + whatever local commentator that they decide to use). Heck, I already pay $60 a year for autosport-atlas.com... May as well pay a little more for ALOT more.
3) Fix Qualifying. My personal preference is to have a single hour free-for-all on the Friday, where you are able to post as many laps as you want. This will decide the running order for a single lap qualifying session on Saturday afternoon, which must be run on full fuel levels. Running a session on Friday will entice fans to skip work and come and watch, where they can see on the limit, light fuel level F1 action.

Well, thats it for the mean time. Does anyone have anything they would like to add to my list/anything they think is wrong?

Dylan.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1401454)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1) Would be too expensive for the GP2 teams - unless F1 offered some sort of subsidy to the series

2) Agree 100%

3) I'm quite happy with the current session, with the proviso that the running order should be set on merit rather than previous race results. That's broadly in line with what you're suggesting - aside from your introduction of a Friday session to set the order. I think that's unnecessary - just set the order by the times in final practice before qualifying.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1401472)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd agree with KB on all three points here, although getting local junior championships running alongside F1 outside Europe could be a nice idea. Friday qualifying was unpopular because so few people saw it. Friday should either be 6 hours of free testing (with the third cars perhpas only available until lunchtime, or maybe allowing the team to choose which 2 drivers of their 3 would race on Saturday morning), or abolished altogether.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1401489)   #4
Dylanl
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I'd agree with KB on all three points here, although getting local junior championships running alongside F1 outside Europe could be a nice idea. Friday qualifying was unpopular because so few people saw it. Friday should either be 6 hours of free testing (with the third cars perhpas only available until lunchtime, or maybe allowing the team to choose which 2 drivers of their 3 would race on Saturday morning), or abolished altogether.
If motoGP can carry all 125cc bikes, and all 250cc bikes around with them, im sure F1 can carry some GP2 cars with them.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1401512)   #5
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
they didn't do it when they went to Laguna Seca .

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Sep 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1401557)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They didn't go to Laguna because there wasn't enough room in the paddock due to the various AMA series.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1401570)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cars are considerably bulkier and heavier thank bikes, and thus more expensive to transport. Even if the transport costs are covered by the FIA completely, it would still mean the teams having to fund many extra races, and as they would mostly be in circuits the drivers wouldn't know, the risk of car damage would be higher. For some of the GPs (Australia in particular) they already have a packed schedule of popular support races, so adding GP2 would not be worth the cost. Extending the season would limit the time tams have to get their entries together, and the many Europe-based sponsors would question the value of racing in other continents. It's an interestng idea, but not a great one in my view.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 02:24 (Ref:1401872)   #8
Dylanl
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Cars are considerably bulkier and heavier thank bikes, and thus more expensive to transport. Even if the transport costs are covered by the FIA completely, it would still mean the teams having to fund many extra races, and as they would mostly be in circuits the drivers wouldn't know, the risk of car damage would be higher. For some of the GPs (Australia in particular) they already have a packed schedule of popular support races, so adding GP2 would not be worth the cost. Extending the season would limit the time tams have to get their entries together, and the many Europe-based sponsors would question the value of racing in other continents. It's an interestng idea, but not a great one in my view.
I knew someone would say that lol.

I'm sure the FOM/F1 Teams have PLENTY of money to be able to support another series to take around with them. Even though the GP2 cars are bigger than Moto GP bikes, dont forget that MotoGP is carrying around TWO series of bikes (125, 250), whereas F1 would only have to carry around ONE series of cars (GP2). There is ALOT more money circulating in F1 than in MotoGP, so money is not an issue in this case to be honest.

The V8 Supercar series are questioning whether its worth going to the Australian Grand Prix anymore, so there we go, we have a gap in the schedule .

Dylan.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1402909)   #9
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it the best way for the FIA to spend its money though? I really don't think it is, especially as teams place more stock in F1 testing performance than GP2 or other race performance when choosing their drivers. Generally, the lower the level of racing, the more regionalised it should ideally be - NASCAR does this with its third-level championships within the US.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1402992)   #10
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree on the website idea - integrate the fans in the way technology is heading towards. On the same website be able to access all the timetable, speed, and lap data provided to all the teams (altho obviously not team telemetry).

My preferences are always going to be the old style 1-hour 12 or 15 lap qualifying sessions but if the running order was determined by friday practice then I would be fairly pleased with that.

Another suggestion I have is either for the FIA or the circuits themselves to organise more support races. I know it differs are certain circuits but simply having a Porsche cup and a GP2 race certainly does NOT justify spending so much money on a race ticket.

Throughout the whole Silverstone LMES weekend I spent no more than £50 or so in total for the likes of weekend camping and entry tickets - where there was freedom to walk pretty much anywhere, plenty of supporting events (like an entire normal full national race day on the Sunday!), an open paddock along with autograph sessions. This was for a top-level international motorsport event. That's what I consider value for money. I'm also well aware that sort of price is never going to grace the tickets of the next British GP.

I'm going to Silverstone for the F1 testing in the middle of this month (on my birthday in fact!), mainly for the free entry. Until prices are lowered then I'll never think about attending a Grand Prix - not until it's cheaper, and there's more to do and see whilst the main attraction isn't on track. I refuse to pay between £150-£200 for a single 80-90 minute race with maybe one or two brief supports in the morning. With the lack of overtaking and excitement in F1 at the minute, it's simply not worth the asking price. Not in the slightest.

I may be a motorsport nut but these days I'm only a casual armchair F1 fan, my love now lies in sportscars. Therefore, since it's the appeal to the casual fan which should of high importance to the FIA, then those are the views of one. If they can't put on a whole show, a whole package, then my arse, and maybe quite a lot of others, isn't going to be plonked into the grounds of an F1 race for a long time to come yet.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1403548)   #11
Dylanl
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
Another suggestion I have is either for the FIA or the circuits themselves to organise more support races. I know it differs are certain circuits but simply having a Porsche cup and a GP2 race certainly does NOT justify spending so much money on a race ticket.
You'd love the Australian Grand Prix... Four days of non-stop motorsport... Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday all have cars driving around the track from 8:30am -> 5pm!!!!

I love the Australian Grand Prix
Old 10 Sep 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1403638)   #12
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that's how to treat the fans properly. A similar schedule at someof the European races would be awesome, and give more drivers the opportunity to be noticed.
Old 11 Sep 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1404915)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dylanl - lucky Australians! That sort of commitment to motorsport is necessary, I feel, to every F1 round - it might not always be possible due to paddock sizes, but having said that national race days often consist of at least 8 or 9 championships and they managed to fit those in small paddocks at much smaller venues.

I feel it's necessary because I think that F1 has distanced itself from most other forms of motorsport way more than it needs to - something which isn't benefitting the series. Plus I agree with N I Tram's reply as part of that too.