Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 Aug 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1386311)   #1
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault World Series Weekend at Donny

Ok, the tickets for this are being discussed on the Intl single seater forum but Trackside has got to be the place to line all this up... so perhaps a helpful moderator can pull the other thread across or summink?

Renault have just announced that the race will be held on the full circuit so they can spread the crowd around the Melbourne Loop as well since they are expecting so many people, they are also saying they've upped the number of available tickets to 150,000...

So who's going and do you think the enjoyment of the average punter watching a race would be improved by having a Brit to cheer in each of the races? (In particular the Meganes.... )

RickP
Old 26 Aug 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1392060)   #2
BigFella
Rookie

BigFella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Rick, replied to this topic when you floated the idea last year, BigFella and son hope to make it for the sunday, are you racing or are you commited elsewhere?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1394306)   #3
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm trying to put together something last minute... but total lack of support from Renault UK has scuppered it a bit... still optimistic though running out of time and may have to roll plans into Monza or Estoril now.
If I'm there I look forward to seeing you both!
Cheers
Rick
Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1394817)   #4
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well you know I'll always be there to watch you
Old 31 Aug 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1395209)   #5
Veteran

England
Zurich
Ten-tenths kiss of death strikes again... deal fell thru yesterday at the final hurdle. Sorry folks. I'll probably try and get a ride at Silverstone that weekend instead now, someone who goes along do a quick headcount and let us know if Renault get their 150,000 people please? ;-)
RickP
Old 31 Aug 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1395602)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not sure that 150,000 people would fit at Donington. Certainly their transport won't.

Jim
Old 31 Aug 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1395745)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Make em go on 'bikes

Might see you at Silverstone, Rick, if we don't make it to Spa. I don't get to many meetings anymore so you'll have to wow us with your generous hospitality If we do make it we'll be there to support Mr Cate... so your challenge is to beat him! (Either way there'll be a lot of stories and arm swirling from you both, no doubt!)
Old 31 Aug 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1395756)   #8
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am going for the full weekend but I am now getting nervous as my free tickets haven't come thru the post. I applied for a couple by text in an autosport advert, and a message came back saying my pair of tickets 'will be despatched shortly'. I read the terms and conditions on the advert and it said all tickets will be sent by 2nd class post on 26th August. So I think i should have got them by now, but I haven't. Anyone else with the same problem??
Old 31 Aug 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1395791)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I ordered mine months ago by internet and have them so can't help I'm afraid. I have two spare though - PM me your address if you like and I'll send them over.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1400531)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest crowd that Donington gets is usually for the MotoGP - around 70 000 spectators - and that clogs up the local road system. In 2004, some people were queing 7 hours to get off the M1 and numerous holidaymakers (and aircrew) missed planes flying from th airport next door.

The problem with Donington is that it is easy for a lot of people to get to the vicinity quickly via the M1, M42 & A50 but then impossible to get in to (or out of) the circuit easily as all that traffic has to get in/out via just 3 narrow roads

I hope that the weekend is a success but I hope that Donington have done their homework. If even a quarter of the tickets supposedly taken up result in people turning up then their will be serious delays, despite the fact that a one way system has been introduced for the sunday.

If you are going then plan to get there VERY EARLY, or the day before, be patient & have water with you in the car!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1400620)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.donington-park.co.uk/renault/trafficplan.pdf

Above was posted on Nat & Int SS re traffic planning for w/end.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1401158)   #12
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So as it draws near, and the weather forcasts are getting better!! im hoping for it to be a good weekend! but i cant remember where abouts was the pub that had the stewart F1 car in!
Old 7 Sep 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1401161)   #13
Veteran

England
Zurich
cripes... Donny appear to have got organised, must be expecting a decent number to show...
Craig: Team-mate failed to come up with the dough for his half of the car so Silverstone's fallen thru as well. I'm off to sulk and plan 2006 global domination...
I look forward to Mondays posts of photos showing seas of people to wave under my sponsors noses to show what they missed out on...
Have fun folks, and cheer my mate Andreas Mayerl in the Meganes pls, he's Austrian and will appreciate a bit of local support!
Cheers
Old 7 Sep 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1401163)   #14
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm going!!! lets hope its sunny - haven't been racing in ages!
Old 7 Sep 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1401252)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Four tickets going spare if anyone wants them, cant make it because of work - PM me.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1401269)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew
So as it draws near, and the weather forcasts are getting better!! im hoping for it to be a good weekend! but i cant remember where abouts was the pub that had the stewart F1 car in!
Shaun

Its the "Turks Head" - the pub next to the traffic lights in Donington, opposite another pub called "The Moira".

Not a great pub, though, but I am a fair bit older than you!

Andy
Old 7 Sep 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1401273)   #17
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one cheers Andy

Im sure i may have to sample a few in each weekend off and all
Old 9 Sep 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1402728)   #18
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope the weather stays nice & dry! Are we really expecting 150k people to turn up?
Old 9 Sep 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1402737)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Re people - I don't think it'll be 150,000 for sure but I really have no idea how popular it'll prove to be.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1402745)   #20
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC
Let's hope the weather stays nice & dry! Are we really expecting 150k people to turn up?
The weather for today is supposed to be chucking it down with thunderstorms tomorrow ( ) but dry on Sunday.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1402754)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
I can't see 150,000 people turning up full stop, but def not for Saturday so if it's dry Sunday they'll be happy I guess....bbc weather isn't working atm because I just tried to look it up.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1402760)   #22
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
My prediction is that there will be 32,791 people there on Sunday, give or take a couple. From what measures Renault and Donington have taken for this weekend, it does actually sound as though they are expecting a massive crowd. But I just can't imagine there to be even 60 odd thousand there. The biggest crowd at Donny when I have been there is around 20,000. It will be very interesting to see how many are there on Sunday.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1402765)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
I think it's been discussed before but it's the "free tickets so let's grab 'em" syndrome by a lot of people who aren't really interested....and as bella said before, people who will also wait and see what the weather's like.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1402836)   #24
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're using the same traffic system that was used for MotoGP, so if the predicted numbers do turn up, it'll be a nightmare getting out. Having said that, Suze si right and people will wait for the weather.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1403105)   #25
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does anyone know a website with a full preview and news of the series?