Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 27 Nov 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1471219)   #1
David Hardie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cumbria
David Hardie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help with grading please?

Can anyone help? I am a marshal at Croft with the DDMC, and expressed an interest in flag marshaling. I have been upgraded for 2006 from Course to Incident, but looking at the MSA upgrading flow chart, which came with the licence, this shows I could have gone to flag for my 10 signatures. Can anyone confirm this is correct, or am I reading it wrong.
If its correct, how can I change from Incident to Flag?

Cheers all,

David
Old 27 Nov 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1471238)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
You will have been upgraded to incident because that is the upgrade for which you have been given signatures; if you look at your grading card (assuming you kept a copy), under 'duty' you will see 'incident'. To upgrade to flag you require the appropriate training & ten signatures for satisfactory performance of the flag duty.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1471294)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
You will have been upgraded to incident because that is the upgrade for which you have been given signatures; if you look at your grading card (assuming you kept a copy), under 'duty' you will see 'incident'.
Hmmm.....I could have explained that better - should have looked at a card before posting!

If you look at the top of the grading card you will see, under the name & MSA number, 'Upgrading to', where the grade that card relates to must be written. In the grid for signatures you will see a 'Duty' column; the duty you have obtained a signature for must, of course, match the grade at the top of the card, otherwise the signature will not be accepted for grading purposes.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1471296)   #4
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't there a time limit on upgrading? This being to stop power-crazed individuals becoming Observers in 3 years...And what is the differance between Course and Incident Marshals anyway?
Old 27 Nov 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1471298)   #5
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
course is the 1st "recognised" grade for being on the bank and being of an adequate standard. Incident is a more experienced grade showing more understanding of the handling of situations, and are usually the people that get teamed up with trainees / course marshals when you are paired up (if we're lucky!) on a post.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1471368)   #6
David Hardie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cumbria
David Hardie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More advice......

OK cheers, thats fine. I now seem to have a licence here, with an attendance record on the back to be signed at each meeting. Do I now need an upgrading card saying - "Upgrading to. FLAG" as I dont seem to have one of those. I know that the attendance card cant be used to upgrade.
Believe it or not I started marshalling in 2000, but have only just had my 'proper' licence sorted out by the club - hence my being a bit in the dark as to what to do !!
Please advise further.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1471371)   #7
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In theory, course is cleaning up at the end of the session and not actually dealing with things while the cars are running (ie attending the driver on track, putting fires out). The incident grade came out of the old "Fire" grade.

In practice, of course, (or is that "of incident") it only suggests two levels of ability.

To get to flag you should get the required number of signiatures doing that job as a trainee flag (and yes you should get an upgrade card for that purpose although they do have two sides so you may be able to use side 2). Start the season asking the chief marshal to assign you to trainee flag and put you with someone who can train you and give signiatures. But be aware that the current MSA/Govt led projects are reviewing the grades and grading process.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1471460)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harding
(and yes you should get an upgrade card for that purpose although they do have two sides so you may be able to use side 2).
Upgrading cards are now single-sided (well, mine is!). On the reverse they now have a place for a picture of the marshal & spaces for examining official's comments.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1471502)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harding
In practice, of course, (or is that "of incident") it only suggests two levels of ability.
I'd offer 'experience' rather than 'ability'. No reason why anybody capable of making green can't move comfortably to red. Once you have an incident grade it suggest to me that have sufficient experience to cover for an incident officer and give training to new marshals.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1471515)   #10
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sometimes there is more behind the badge that meets the eye. I have (today) finally collected my final signature after being a trainee for 6 seasons. I have mislaid/ destroyed various grading cards and just did not get round to filling out another.
It has become a standing joke now.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1471616)   #11
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hardie
OK cheers, thats fine. I now seem to have a licence here, with an attendance record on the back to be signed at each meeting. Do I now need an upgrading card saying - "Upgrading to. FLAG" as I dont seem to have one of those. I know that the attendance card cant be used to upgrade.
Believe it or not I started marshalling in 2000, but have only just had my 'proper' licence sorted out by the club - hence my being a bit in the dark as to what to do !!
Please advise further.
I take it you're a Croft regular - so you need to contact the person(s) in charge of training and grading there so that you can attend the flag training day, get the relevant upgrading card and then next season working as a flag marshal.

Old 28 Nov 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1472203)   #12
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you all think this grading lark is a bit too complex? It seems that you need some degree from the University of MSA to understand all the grades!I thought we were all marshals! I tell my lot in my morning briefing that we are ALL observers. Keep watching the track and report anything you think Race Control would want to know - howerver trivial. This, I hope, gets everyone thinking along similar lines. We are all experienced in incidents, except the very new. How long do you get called a true novice? I'd say about 4 meetings! Even if you haven't actually dealed with every kind of incident, when you first take to the orange, your brain is like a sponge, absorbing all sorts of information. Trouble is, when you get to be observer, your mind reverts to a sponge again - a bath sponge!
Old 28 Nov 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1472206)   #13
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Believe me it's even worse when you get to be a Clerk!
Old 28 Nov 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1472243)   #14
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Once you have an incident grade it suggest to me that have sufficient experience to cover for an incident officer and give training to new marshals.
WOW I would be very very careful making assumptions like that...
Old 28 Nov 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1472433)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
'suggests', I said, choosing my words very carefully! Assume nothing until you've got more evidence to support it. Grades at best are a guide to what you expect from the person, but it's quite possible to have a brilliant trainee and a useless I/O (the latter is much rarer than the former, though).
Old 28 Nov 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1472436)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hear, hear.