Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2004, 20:18 (Ref:930134)   #1
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A decade ago

SpeedTV is running the season's races 10 years ago each race weekend. They ran Imola this weekend.

I had forgotten a few details:
I remembered, as we all do that Senna was killed.
I didn't remember that another driver (Ratzenberger) was killed the day before.
I didn't remember that there was a pit lane accident with injuries when a right rear wheel came off of a car leaving the pits.
I didn't remember that Berger, when he was radioed the AS had died, pulled off the track, not finishing the race.

A sad day in F1, but one which brought about many changes to the rules for the safety of all concerned.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 20:26 (Ref:930140)   #2
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remembered all those things (when you said them), but Berger. Hats off to him.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 20:51 (Ref:930167)   #3
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to be morbid or anything, but watching that day unfold live on TV (without editing of any kind) would bring back all sorts of memories of the little things that went wrong, and especially those laps behind the pace car while Murray was chatting away and the world was about to turn upside down.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 20:53 (Ref:930171)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: A decade ago

Quote:
Originally posted by f1atic

Can't believe anyone wouldn't remember that.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 21:45 (Ref:930238)   #5
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remembered...
Old 4 Apr 2004, 22:11 (Ref:930255)   #6
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
one of the blackest of all racing weekends.....SPEED channel's re-airing was very tastefully done, kudos to them....
Old 4 Apr 2004, 22:12 (Ref:930261)   #7
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I watched the race again on Speed yesterday. First time since it aired live. I didn't see the qualifying until yesterday and I couldn't believe that Rubens didn't break his neck after going airborne into the wall. He was extremely lucky to get away relatively unscathed.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 23:03 (Ref:930306)   #8
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very, very, sad time.

It's thanks to that week-end/time, we have so much more safety bracketed into F1 now.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 23:34 (Ref:930330)   #9
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think I could watch that again at all What an awful, awful weekend. That wasn't sport.

I didn't really follow F1 that year after what had happened at Imola and I think I'm glad I didn't. Y'know, if I'd been born twenty years earlier I'd probably never have gotten interested in motorsport, it was just too dangerous for me to comfortably watch. Biggest reason I hate oval racing.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 00:08 (Ref:930344)   #10
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember it well it was late night here in OZ.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 01:24 (Ref:930392)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I taped it, but haven't steeled myself to watch it yet. I frankly don't care to remember the terrible funk I was in for a month afterward. I also know that facing demons can be a cathartic.

I remember how complacent we all had become. Heck, Berger survived a far more horriffic crash at Tamborello five years earlier, there was no way that hit could have been fatal let alone dangerous...only it was.

I did continue to follow F1 that season as I had continued to follow it after the deathsd of Clark, Rodriguez, Siffert, Cevert, Revson, Donahue, Peterson, Gilles, De Angelis. These are the ones that affected me the most, though there were others.., too many others. But none knocked me down more than that of Senna. Perhaps tomorrow, after the house has gone to sleep, I'll pour a sotch and play the tape.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 01:53 (Ref:930414)   #12
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: A decade ago

Quote:
Originally posted by f1atic

An Austrian flag was found in Senna's cockpit. The intention supposedly was for Senna to fly the flag after the race in honour of his fallen compatriot. Sad day indeed!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 5 Apr 2004, 04:14 (Ref:930473)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The suprising thing when people recall that weekend is how many people don't remember Ratzenburger's accident, it was a black weekend for the sport & i must admit that i've never been as anxious for the chequered flag to come out as i was that race.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 04:31 (Ref:930492)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
The suprising thing when people recall that weekend is how many people don't remember Ratzenburger's accident, it was a black weekend for the sport & i must admit that i've never been as anxious for the chequered flag to come out as i was that race.
I remember that season being so anxious to get each race over with.

I still tend to get apprehensive at the likes of Monza and Spa.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 05:16 (Ref:930519)   #15
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the startline smash with the wheel going into the crowd, I believe it either seriously injured or killed a policeman.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 17:41 (Ref:931297)   #16
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imola 94

After watching F1 decade I'm going to say that Senna got killed by the track. Look at the poor### paving job the track had one with all the patches and bumps/dips with now runoff. I now think whoever was/is trying to charge th Williams team is just trying to save there butts because the ones who should have been charged was whoever was in charge of the circuit!
Old 5 Apr 2004, 17:49 (Ref:931307)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
merged, although it was EERO that did it, he beat me to it by a minute this time!

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Apr 2004 at 17:49.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 21:35 (Ref:931573)   #18
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember that it is my birthday on that terrible day
Old 5 Apr 2004, 21:40 (Ref:931581)   #19
1 Lotus
Rookie

1 Lotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't been watching F1 all that long. I knew of Senna's death. That is actually the focus it seems for all discussion. I liked the way Speed covered the weekend. I think the main reason so many people don't remember some of the other matters is that there was such an intent focus on Senna.

It was a tragic weekend, no doubt and F1 is better for it. Too bad we so often learn only from tragedy.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 21:51 (Ref:931605)   #20
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always felt a big part of F1 died that day, I was only 9 but had been watching F1 for as long as I can remember but even so its never been the same since.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 22:05 (Ref:931616)   #21
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was marshalling an F3000 practise session at Silverstone that day.

I remember walking back towards the paddock past a Rothmans Stand, the staff on the stand were just starting to cover up an Ayrton Senna show car, although the news of the accident was known about, his death was not.

I then went back to the car and sat and listened to radio 5 when the sad news was confirmed.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 01:54 (Ref:931723)   #22
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a very hard thing to watch but I felt as if I had to because when it happened it was really before my time. SEeing that first Barrichelo crash I just shuddered because I knew what was coming down the road
Old 6 Apr 2004, 02:13 (Ref:931731)   #23
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was only seven at the time but Ayrton's death drove me away from F1 - I guess because I didn't have anyone to follow anymore, but also because I never wanted to see anyone else die. I had started watching CART the year before because of Nigel Mansell, so I pretty much gave up on F1 and only watched CART for the rest of that year. Well, 10 years later my current favorite driver was hired at Toyota, so I'm following F1 again! It's not the same, but I still love it.

I know I could not have watched that race again. I think I've gotten past it, but it makes it hard when it keeps coming back up.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 09:58 (Ref:932029)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Lets make this thread about remembering Ayrton and Roland, rather than raking over the circumstances of their deaths.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 10:09 (Ref:932037)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Lets make this thread about remembering Ayrton and Roland, rather than raking over the circumstances of their deaths.
Check this thread out: Senna Season

There are also a couple of tribute threads in the tribute forum:
Roland Ratzenberger
Ayrton Senna