Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1451974)   #1
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Corvette uncovered

Finally have been able to print the rest of the Corvette pictures I took at Le Mans, included are the shots GM doesn't want you to see of the rear suspension arrangements and position of the third spring. Thy are in Racecar Engineering december issue.

What amazed me is how objectionable GM were at LM when we tried to aske them about it - also few people got to get a good up close look at the 'Vette and I think that really let the fans down, whereas RfH showed you all the best bits happily. Much better attitude, Champion like Corvette rather than embrace fans hired private and menacing security guards - is there a place fot this at LM?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1451981)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a shame that Champion and Corvette do things like that. This year at Le Mans, during the Friday pitlane walkabout I was invited into the RML garage and all because I was wearing an MG Baseball cap.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1451993)   #3
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Part of the reason is that the teams often have big problems with theft - I think it was Boris deRichebourg that had his helmet stolen during the race a couple of years ago
Old 4 Nov 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1452043)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
but its only those two teams?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1452083)   #5
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
In fact Pescarolo had 'door control' too, as did Aston at times - Bentley were particularly unwelcoming in 02 and 03 (even to those with appointments!) and there have been others too - I guess it depends on whether or not the team find people 'popping in' to be a nuisance. Got to say that both Corvette and Champion were no problem for me this year at all.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1452113)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Had problems with them two only (Pesca and Aston were great). But Graham we are not normal punters - I'm thinking more about during the fortnight where pretty much anyone can wander up the pitlane to look at the cars being fettled. But you could hardly even see the 'Vette. Hidden deep in its garage
Old 4 Nov 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1452144)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember an article in regards to Champion. They had some special setup with ADT (also a promo deal) for improved security.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1452189)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see it as a big deal, I think its wrong to expect the teams to allow all and sundry into the pit garage while the team are hard at work. There is alot of pricey gear in there that would go walkabout as well.

Maybe some of the teams are a bit over protective and be a bit ott, but just because you have media card does not give you the right to wander into any pit and and take pictues of anything you see that may have cost X team $000 to develop. It is after all their place of work and I doubt many of us want our rivals to know exactly what we are up too.

Long gone are the days when all the cars where prep'ed under canvas in the paddock.
good old days?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1452213)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe it's because this is at Le Mans. This is THE race of the year. Nothing left to chance.

At Laguna Seca, we were very close to the cars. We were right next to EVERY car there during the grid walk. And in the pit, we walked up and examined the body work from the #1 Champion car. The crew were right there, but never said one word. The Corvettes and Astons both had their work areas enclosed, but you could get reasonably close.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1452255)   #10
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every time I have been to an ALMS event the corvettes were very hard to get to. They are, however, some of the most popular cars in the series, but that tent is almost always zipped up.

Caddy is the same way in SWC, whereas you can just walk on in most peoples set up, the caddy setup is behind ropes and a good ten feet away, half the time you cant even see the cars.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1452307)   #11
'70 Mach 1
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, CA. USA
'70 Mach 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Infineon in 2004, the area around the Vettes was crowded (people hoping to see Dale Jr. probably), but the cars were right out front and easy to look at (behind a rope though). The SWC Caddy guys were great to us though ... let my son and I behind the ropes so we could stand right next to the car for my wife to snap a photo of us. Even Champion's pit was fairly open and JJ stood out front talking to a few people. And I must give a thumbs up to Carsport ... those guys are always friendly and let you get in there and take a look around...

Old 4 Nov 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1452340)   #12
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Got to say that at the three ALMS races I attended this year (Sebring, PLM and Laguna) the arrangements at Team Corvette were much the same, you could get reasonably close and watch what the guys were up to - I agree they were amongst the most popular cars in the paddock - the queues at the autograph sessions showed that.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1452394)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Certainly I've found that their security at Mosport is only as tight as needed to keep the hordes out - and they're always surrounding the paddock.

In fact, when the crowd dissipates, I've found you can walk right in and talk to the mechanics and drivers who are there.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Nov 2005, 04:55 (Ref:1452589)   #14
NJDMONEY
Rookie

NJDMONEY has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When you spend millions of dollars developing a car then you can decide who gets to see what.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1452635)   #15
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDMONEY
When you spend millions of dollars developing a car then you can decide who gets to see what.

Exactly. It's a business. Why should teams let people, be them "normal" or not normal punters (like our learned chum), poke their noses in.

I don't see why it is taken so personally. Always nice if you can have a look, but it's not the end of civilization if you can't get access.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1452640)   #16
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
better to look into the pits at other races like LMES/ALMS. same cars then LeMans but not so many spectators
Old 5 Nov 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1452801)   #17
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm just happy to be seeing the cars out on track! beautiful machines, great to get up close to if possible - but there's no substitute for the wonderful on-track action!
Old 5 Nov 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1452808)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
when you sped millions on your cars you get to decide who the luck few are that get to see the cars up close, then you get the F1 situation.

however we eventually get access to the C6R's without bodywork to photograph it and as far as I know the pics we got are the only ones that exist outside of GM. Graham Goodwin - however may know better, GG? (I'll send you a copy btw)
Old 5 Nov 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1452827)   #19
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
I was fairly certain we had some from Sebring - Just checked and we do - front and back - Galleries 1 & 3 for dsc readers here
Old 5 Nov 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1452906)   #20
Shady#30
Rookie

Shady#30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand high security at LM. If I ran a team there NOBODY would be poking around my stuff.

As for the ALMS paddock, I walk around like I own the place and nobody has ever said anything to me. If there's something you want to know or see, just ask someone who doesn't look busy. Every single person I've come across has been willing to answer a question or let me check something out.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1452915)   #21
NJDMONEY
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
when you sped millions on your cars you get to decide who the luck few are that get to see the cars up close, then you get the F1 situation.
That's good to know. I'm sure Aston, Saleen, and Maserati will enjoy looking over those pictures in the hope of finding a Corvette secret to cash in on all of Corvette's hard work.

Good job.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1453029)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
tripe - these cars are all very different, and they are all also destined to be customer cars so the secret will come out eventually.

NJD if that is your opinion then next year during the pitlane walkabout how would you feel if all the garage doors were closed?

In GT1 how big could your secret be? or is only secret becuase the ACO will outlaw it once the other teams see it? like the aston aero mods.
Plus its my job to find out what technology teams employ to win.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 06:40 (Ref:1453216)   #23
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDMONEY
That's good to know. I'm sure Aston, Saleen, and Maserati will enjoy looking over those pictures in the hope of finding a Corvette secret to cash in on all of Corvette's hard work.

Good job.
He published photos he had permission to publish. What's your problem, honestly?

Really, you can just stroll down the paddock if you're from another team and want a look at the competitor's car. The paddock at Mosport is quite accessible, as p-c alluded to, and I frequently have seen team members doing this very thing.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 07:05 (Ref:1453222)   #24
NJDMONEY
Rookie

Quote:
NJD if that is your opinion then next year during the pitlane walkabout how would you feel if all the garage doors were closed?
I wouldn't care one way or another. Yes, I would be appreciative if they did allow you a look around but if they didn't, it's their right to protect their interests.

I never have nor will I think the fans deserve this unfettered access to teams and drivers for information and autographs. It's unfair to the teams who are putting more effort and money into PUTTING THE SHOW ON FOR US than we ever will buying a ticket and just sitting and watching.

They're spending millions, we're spending hundreds at the most. Who's really important here?
Old 6 Nov 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1453224)   #25
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
tripe - these cars are all very different, and they are all also destined to be customer cars so the secret will come out eventually.

In GT1 how big could your secret be? or is only secret becuase the ACO will outlaw it once the other teams see it? like the aston aero mods.
Plus its my job to find out what technology teams employ to win.
Exactly, that's why you have raised a trivial and meaningless issue as a matter of life and death. If you can't find out enough you have no article and you might get the sack...
Your take on this is different to most others. After all you are in the elevated position of not being a "normal" punter, referring to one your previous comments.
Perhaps you should write to the teams?