Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1562686)   #1
Dex
Racer

Dex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Accreditation for club level motorsport

Hi folks

I'm after some advice/help from some of you all please.

I'm a part-time freelance photographer who shoots a wide range of subjects, everything from glamour to landscapes. Of more interest here is the Motorsport photography. I currently follow the Classic Touring Car championship, specifically getting images for Keith Smith (of Keith Smith racing...) who races a mk1 golf in Classic Group One.

Last year i followed him through stock hatch and had several shots published in regional newspapers down south. I've also had shots published in fairly large *in-house* magazines following karting meets. Of course the shots are also used on the KS racing website www.keith.grone.co.uk including the front page image.

I'm looking at getting signed on to be able to get better access for photography - as you'll all know the crash fencing on most tracks really limits getting good shots from a lot of spectator areas.

I understand i need to arrange my own PLI (i believe £5m cover is required) and get to the press/media office to sign on at the start of the event. Does anyone have suggestions as to what credentials/accreditation is required by the press offices for signing on as a photographer? I'm not looking at covering the big national events, just club level at the moment.

All help greatfully received!

cheers

Dex
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1562694)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dex

You will certainly need to apply for accreditation in advance to be certain that you will be allowed to sign on. You will need a letter from the editor of the publication you are working for confirming that you will be doing so, you will need to complete the appropriate application form provided by the circuit, and very often evidence of previously published work (although there usually is flexibility for 'new' photographers). As you mention, PLI is normally required. You will probably not get anywhere using such a website to support your application - besides official championship or club sites, very few will do.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1562736)   #3
Dex
Racer

Cheers for the reply - I understand that websites are often not considered sufficient to support and application, I think i'll have to rely on the regional newspaper publishing.

Does anyone have a contact for snetterton circuit press/media people so i can get in touch?
Old 27 Mar 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1562748)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Contact Andy Bothwell at MotorSport Vision.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1562756)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
andy.bothwell@motorsport.vision.co.uk
Old 27 Mar 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1562765)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Typical Mike, I was sticking to convention and avoiding posting the email address publically and what do you do!
Old 27 Mar 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1562767)   #7
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh...er... didn't realise that!
Old 27 Mar 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1562769)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Forgiven!
Old 28 Mar 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1563247)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You may find that your local newspaper will take motor sport reports and photos especially if you do not want payment and if you provide a piece that can be slotted straight in to the paper. IE something that does not have to be re-written by the sports editor.
This may well be enough to get you accreditation to club events and possibly a season pass from various circuits. Once you have accreditation you can also apply for passes for bigger events on a regular basis.
While 'free' may not appeal to you, once you are in and taking pics the World's yer lobster in terms of what you do with your photos.

Worked for me!
Old 31 Mar 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1566372)   #10
Daf_Loz
Rookie

Daf_Loz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That e-mail address is wrong by the way! But please don't post e-mail addresses on the forum.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1566391)   #11
Dex
Racer

can someone pm me the correct email address please?
Old 31 Mar 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1566536)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

I did the other day...
Old 1 Apr 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1566796)   #13
Dex
Racer

Aha!

cheers Ian - i hadn't spotted the difference between the one you sent me and the one that was posted - worked it out now!