Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jul 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1655733)   #1
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8's versus AFL - 2007

Last night the penny dropped, the answer at last to that very perplexing question.

How is Channel 7 going to televise the V8 Supercars AND AFL in 2007?

The Federal Minister for Coomunication Helen Coonan has given us the answer, in her address yesterday she outlined that each free-to-air Channel can have 2 Channels.

Therein lies the answer, Footy on one Channel 7, V8's on the other Channel 7 - simple really!!!!

But how did Tony and Wayne know that in advance?
Old 13 Jul 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1655742)   #2
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard that Channel 7 will show one race live, then an AFL game, then the second race live, and then another AFL game.

Anyway those changes have to pass through the houses first. The Nationals may not like them.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1655782)   #3
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ch 7 have been pushing for multi (digital) channeling for a few years now.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 14 Jul 2006, 02:34 (Ref:1655815)   #4
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius
Therein lies the answer, Footy on one Channel 7, V8's on the other Channel 7 - simple really!!!!
Maybe not.........

I heard something being said on talk back radio this morning along the lines of "No they cant just broadcast a second channel or even a +2 version of their existing programming".
Old 14 Jul 2006, 03:49 (Ref:1655826)   #5
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
***link***

Quote:
Multichannelling

Commercial Free to Air Television

The Government will:

• legislate to enable commercial free to air television broadcasters to provide one standard definition (SDTV) multichannel from 1 January 2009;

• legislate to permit broadcasters to run one HDTV multichannel in advance of switchover, by removing the requirement that high definition television (HDTV) services must be a simulcast of analogue and standard definition digital television (SDTV) services from 1 January 2007;

• retain the current prohibition on full multichannelling by commercial broadcasters until the end of the simulcast period, subject to technical advances or unanticipated delays in achieving switchover, or other matters which may alter the balance in favour of an earlier adjustment;

• consider arrangements for the regulation of commercial multichannels prior to commencement.

Although the end of the simulcast period provides a natural point, from both a policy and practical perspective, for further changes to the digital television regulatory settings, the Government considers that there should be some new opportunities made available to broadcasters in the transition to a fully digital television broadcasting environment for those who wish to take up those opportunities.

While the Government recognises there are a range of views relating to the benefits and impacts of multichannelling, the availability of some new digital services will provide more variety for consumers and further contribute to digital take-up.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 14 Jul 2006, 05:58 (Ref:1655857)   #6
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Multi-Channelling on the commercial FTA won't happen until 2009 anyway, so we have to put up with both for 2 years at least. Sales have not warranted it.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 02:03 (Ref:1657898)   #7
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh well, back to the good old days of 1am Tuesday morning highlights again
Old 17 Jul 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1658108)   #8
Lowndesfan6
Racer

Lowndesfan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little birdie told me today that Mr Cochrane aint too happy because Channel 7 have come out with the fact that they will televise LIVE, any of the finals Afl games as a priority over the V8's and if so, will delay telecasts of the V8's.

More to come.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1658112)   #9
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndesfan6
Little birdie told me today that Mr Cochrane aint too happy because Channel 7 have come out with the fact that they will televise LIVE, any of the finals Afl games as a priority over the V8's and if so, will delay telecasts of the V8's.

More to come.
Don't tell me Cochrane has stuffed up again.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1658165)   #10
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
In the latest Modern Motor there is a HINT that we might see some night races...that's my take on it > anyone else read the feature.?

Old 17 Jul 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1658182)   #11
pink_bits
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
pink_bits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I read that too... Not sure how effective it's going to be....
Personally Im a little scared of the whole going to Channel 7, How can you give 100% to the showing of AFL and V8'S it's going to be impossible! And Poor V8's is going to loose out in the end. I personally Hate Afl and would say Give V8's more of a go but thats not what the gen public is going to want and hence we are going to loose big time to AFL!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1658579)   #12
Lowndesfan6
Racer

Lowndesfan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

More to come.
In addition, Bathurst (may) not be shown in full, however either ESPN or Fox Sports will show the whole event.

I have this information second hand, so I hope it aint true.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 23:34 (Ref:1658695)   #13
nivag71
Rookie

nivag71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard a rumor that with Rounds that fill on Long Weekends that we could have Monday Races.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 01:44 (Ref:1658744)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_bits
Personally Im a little scared of the whole going to Channel 7, How can you give 100% to the showing of AFL and V8'S it's going to be impossible! And Poor V8's is going to loose out in the end. I personally Hate Afl and would say Give V8's more of a go but thats not what the gen public is going to want and hence we are going to loose big time to AFL!
A wise man said, "no man can serve two masters." I fear we are going to see this demonstrated.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 05:43 (Ref:1658808)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In addition, Bathurst (may) not be shown in full, however either ESPN or Fox Sports will show the whole event.

I have this information second hand, so I hope it aint true.
Be interesting if this were the case, as the AFL season is finished by Bathurst time. Maybe it will be back the old days where the telecast will go off air for an hour at lunchtime!

As for the AFL finals getting priority, wouldn't this only be a problem every second year, as 7 and 10 will be alternating the finals series coverage each year.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 06:09 (Ref:1658817)   #16
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_bits
Yeah I read that too... Not sure how effective it's going to be....
pink bits......did you notice who the commentors were in that feature.?

Old 18 Jul 2006, 06:19 (Ref:1658826)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any hints for us who haven't read the latest Modern Motor?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1658845)   #18
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Any hints for us who haven't read the latest Modern Motor?
No nothing new ...they are using in house personalities - Mathew White and Mark Baretta.

Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1658941)   #19
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no real big drama. Afl finals go for 4 weeks. At current there is a 5 week break between sandown and bathurst. They could make that work. 7 will show the race in full, as they have done so in the past.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 15:12 (Ref:1659213)   #20
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AFL Finals
Week 1: Fri Night, Sat, Sat Night, Sun
Week 2: (2 of) Fri Night, Sat, Sat Night
Week 3: (2 of) Fri Night, Sat, Sat Night
Week 4: Sat

So you wouldn't hold a round in Week 1.
Week 2 and 3 are fine if both finals are night games.
Week 4 is generally 2 weeks before Bathurst so it would be unlikely to be used anyway.

The main problem I see with the main season rounds (AFL) clashing with the V8 rounds is that currently 2 AFL matches are telecast on a Sunday. This takes up the channel from 1230pm to 5-530pm. So where does this leave space for the V8s.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1659243)   #21
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbo6
AFL Finals
Week 1: Fri Night, Sat, Sat Night, Sun
Week 2: (2 of) Fri Night, Sat, Sat Night
Week 3: (2 of) Fri Night, Sat, Sat Night
Week 4: Sat

So you wouldn't hold a round in Week 1.
Week 2 and 3 are fine if both finals are night games.
Week 4 is generally 2 weeks before Bathurst so it would be unlikely to be used anyway.

The main problem I see with the main season rounds (AFL) clashing with the V8 rounds is that currently 2 AFL matches are telecast on a Sunday. This takes up the channel from 1230pm to 5-530pm. So where does this leave space for the V8s.
Week 2 has been Fri Night and Sat Night since 2002 (2001 it was Saturday and Sat Night, 2000 it was Fri Night and Saturday). They could theoretically play a final on Sunday in Week 2 but that hasn't been done for a number of years (since 1995 I believe). Therefore you could get Sandown on Week 2 of the AFL finals without interruption. Of course, Channel 10 will have access to finals games as well if showing qualifying is an issue......

Week 3 will be Fri Night and Sat Night unless we have a situation where a Prelim final has been played at Subiaco and the lights have been used for more than 12 times at the ground forcing an afternoon final (Council regulation). You could hold a round that weekend, however would it be too close to Bathurst?

As for during the season, don't expect V8 rounds on long weekends given that a Saturday Afternoon AFL game is generally on Pay with Ch 10 showing a game on the Monday holiday (it's happened a few times when Clipsal was on the Easter Weekend). You could hold a round on the week linked to ANZAC Day given that CH 10 does not show ANZAC Day footy (Ch 7 I assume would, instead of a 2nd Sunday Game). You could also have a round either side of the split round (generally late June) without a clash. However, if Ch 7 takes the Public Holiday games (Easter and Queens Birthday) replacing a 2nd Sunday game it could also be a go. I believe there will also be some weekends with 1 FTA Sunday game freeing up space with the other 2 on Pay.

So if you link it all with this year, weekends that could be possible for V8 Rounds during the AFL season IF WE HAD THIS PROBLEM THIS YEAR would be:

* 30 MAR-3 APR (Thursday AND Friday Night game, likely to continue if the AFL season does not begin on Easter Weekend)
* 13-17 APR (Easter Weekend, CH 7 would have to take Monday game with 2 Sunday games on Pay)
* 21-25 APR (ANZAC Weekend)
* 12-14 MAY (Mother's Day. Perhaps not the greatest weekend but Perhaps the AFL may have a game on at lunchtime and the others being on Pay at a later slot housing the V8's. I think this would have to be a 2 race weekend with 1 race on Sat and on Sun)
* 9-12 JUN (Queen's Birthday, See Easter Weekend)
* 16-25 JUN (Either Weekend given that the AFL has it's Split Round. Probably 2nd week would be easiest, which this year would have been 23-25 JUN)
* 15-17 SEP (Sandown 500 would be there this year if the bikes were in it's usual slot being the week after Bathurst. As mentioned earlier in the thread, they haven't played a Sunday Semi Final since 1995)

Other dates would be in Pre-Season (late starts or Night games) and after the season (Only conflicts with Golf which is normally at the end of the V8 season and Horse Racing, and the Horse Racing would only affect Saturday Races for 5 weeks during October/November). So there would be at least 2 rounds that I could see (1 in July, 1 in August) that would be the most difficult to schedule.

Last edited by stmookeyj033; 18 Jul 2006 at 15:59.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1660143)   #22
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Generally Horse Racing is on a Saturday or during the week so that wouldn't have much effect.
If V8s has to take a back seat to televised Golf there seriously is something wrong with this sport.

If Ch10 with showing Monday Games this is good for the V8s as they can go head to head on Ch7.
Though if Ch7 does take the Monday game it also is good for the V8s in showing that game.

The main problem will be if 7 and 10 can't get a deal with PayTV as they are then required to show all 8 AFL matches on FTA. This would then mean 3 matches have to be on Sunday, could well be split between 2 channels, but more than likely would leave Ch7 having to show 2 games.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 02:03 (Ref:1660436)   #23
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there will be at least 3 games on pay, theres no way 7/10 could afford that much for the rights otherwise.