Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 15 May 2000, 01:47 (Ref:5862)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here are some excerts from the Motegi race report...i haven't seen the race yet, but this seems pretty whacky....

The BLACK FLAG is shown on Lap 133 to #19 KUROSAWA for a Pit Safety violation. KUROSAWA subsequently pits the car to comply with the Black Flag stop and go penalty.

The BLACK FLAG is again shown to #19 KUROSAWA on Lap 134, after CART Pit Stewards determine that KUROSAWA did not complete the stop and go penalty correctly. KUROSAWA again pits the car.

BLACK FLAG is shown to #19 KUROSAWA on Lap 134 for a Pit Road safety violation. KUROSAWA subsequently pits the car to comply with the Black Flag stop and go penalty.

BLACK FLAG is again shown to #19 KUROSAWA on Lap 135 for not successfully completing the stop and go penalty. KUROSAWA subsequently pits the car to comply with the Black Flag stop and go penalty.

The BLACK FLAG is shown on Lap 151 to #19 KUROSAWA for a Pit Safety violation. KUROSAWA subsequently pits the car and is excluded from the remainder of the race due to a Pit Incident.

Now is it just me, or was something very very silly going on? I think i was the only person here not going on about how great he was after he lead a few laps at Long Beach.... well this here seesm to be a bit over the top...
Old 15 May 2000, 02:02 (Ref:5863)   #2
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

All that and nothing for Mikey passing in the pits under yellow. Silliness abounds!
Old 15 May 2000, 02:27 (Ref:5864)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many pit guys did Kurasawa run over anyway? Or did he forget to bow when he left the pits?

Or was somebody having fun with the black flags?
Old 15 May 2000, 03:51 (Ref:5865)   #4
Rachel
Rookie

Rachel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooohhh....so that's how he lost those 30 laps!
But why didn't they just DQ him right after he hit the guy?
Old 15 May 2000, 14:39 (Ref:5866)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is still a grey area in the rules. They aren't sure who has to make the decision if a guy is injured or not. Kurosawa made a mistake when he came in without warming up his carbon-carbon brakes and essentially had none when he entered his pit space. He also violated the pitlane speed limit twice during the race. He was eventually DQ'd when it was determined he had injured his crewman. CART really needs to address this issue and eliminate any interpretations of the rule.
Old 15 May 2000, 23:22 (Ref:5867)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe it took them a week and a half to decide to DQ Mikey, and poor Kurasawa was DQ'd during the very race where the incident happened. KC you are right - there has got to be some way of deciding these things on the spot. Surely they know right away if the pitman is injured (we all knew about Nigel Stepney just as soon as the doctors knew) and if the rules say "injury = DQ" then what is there to decide?
Old 16 May 2000, 00:22 (Ref:5868)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a bit like in football though, if a guy gets a conusion he would be back out there in 15 minutes...so does that count as an injury? Sure he can't remember being injured but that's not the point. What if someone drops a rattle gun on their foot trying to flee an out of control car, but is otherwise ok? Does that count as an injury, he has a bruise right?
Old 16 May 2000, 12:31 (Ref:5869)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's the grey area I was referring to. Wjhat happened if he strikes a crew member that falls down in front of the car? Should the team be penalized? Probably, but it won't look right.

A big part of what happened in the Andretti case is that the rule stated that a competitior could be DQ'd if causing an injury to a team member. They have amended that rule to read will be DQ'd. They just have to determine what an injury is.
Old 16 May 2000, 16:49 (Ref:5870)   #9
Liz
Veteran

An injury is an injury. Seems to me if you knock somebody down with any part of your car, that should count as an injury no matter if you can see anything or not. It's pretty obvious that you did it, and it's not a good idea to let anybody do such a thing with impunity. Other things (like dropping a gun on your foot) could be assessed on a delayed basis, but hits with the car should be automatic.
Old 16 May 2000, 16:49 (Ref:5871)   #10
Liz
Veteran

An injury is an injury. Seems to me if you knock somebody down with any part of your car, that should count as an injury no matter if you can see anything or not. It's pretty obvious that you did it, and it's not a good idea to let anybody do such a thing with impunity. Other things (like dropping a gun on your foot) could be assessed on a delayed basis, but hits with the car should be automatic.
Old 17 May 2000, 10:10 (Ref:5872)   #11
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wanted Kurosawa to go well in front of his hime crowd I am dissapointed at that,