Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 25 Apr 2007, 20:10 (Ref:1900412)   #1
Monstrobolaxa
Rookie

Monstrobolaxa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Push-rod suspensions

Does anyone know any good books on Push-rod suspensions? or double A-arm suspensions?

The thing is that I'm working for a sportscar team and I'm in charge of designing and developing the car for 2010. Up to know I've been working on chassis stiffness and in a few months will be looking into the suspension layout. I already have quite a few books on chassis design, car aerodynamics, vehicle dynamics...but I feel that I don't have enough info to correctly design the suspension.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1900476)   #2
Goran Malmberg
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm Sweden
Goran Malmberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstrobolaxa
Does anyone know any good books on Push-rod suspensions? or double A-arm suspensions?
Well, I can not recomend my own book since it is in Swedish. The problem as fare as I see is that most books is discussing the issue in general termes and
this makes it difficult to come down to "what I need myself".
The A-arm geometry is dependent on so many factors like aero, cgh, type of racing etc, so a general rule is impossible to give. It is also important to understand that everything must be fabricated if designing things from a clean sheet of paper.

However, I may be able to answer a few specific questions and mail you some
images from my book.
Goran Malmberg
Old 25 Apr 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1900485)   #3
TeoRacing
Rookie

Greece
TeoRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have a thorough theory knowledge, then you should definately be in need of a 3d suspension design software package, like that by Lotus for example.
Old 2 May 2007, 12:48 (Ref:1904958)   #4
Monstrobolaxa
Rookie

Monstrobolaxa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for the reply...well I'm going to use basic mathematical geometry for the moment to understand the way push-rod suspensions work...and creating a excel file with the equations! Paralel to this I will be using a 3D suspension geometry design/analysis to study our current cars suspension....and also to validate my calculations with excel.

I will only start the new car design later on this year! at the moment I'm designing our current car with 3D software to run a FEA analysis to get a baseline value for the chassis stiffness.
Old 16 May 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1914885)   #5
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the pics I have seen, it looks like the dampers are a special design, if this is true then the damper mfg could provide much useful info.
Good luck.