Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1111066)   #1
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport.com report Flav may buy Cosworth

http://www.autosport.com/pc_subscrib...=40029&s=5&p=1

Being a shrewd businessman I'm sure he could make a few $$$ from this deal, but didn't he recently say he doesn't have enough time to buy and run Cosworth...?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1111067)   #2
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Flav is leaving Renault soon, so...
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:53 (Ref:1111082)   #3
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear Cosworth has already been sold to Renault with funding from the European Union... And that Cosworth will be renamed Mecachrome and Flav is supposed to run it.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1111085)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If Cosworth is renamed Mecachrome, I vote we have a whip-round to hire a hit-man.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:56 (Ref:1111086)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Didn't Flav own the rights to the original Renault V10 and badge it as Mechachrome?

IIRC he caused no end of grief with level of service and costs.

Cosworth would necessarily be different because they design their own engines not prepare already designed units.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1111096)   #6
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it`s Mecacrome then i am the first one to post it in 10-10...
earlier post "jag to be sell"
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1111128)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would have thought Ilmor would be the logical buyer....
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1111142)   #8
tyrrellf1
Rookie

tyrrellf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I would have thought Ilmor would be the logical buyer....
I would have thought that Audi would be a more logical buyer - they already own the rest of the old Cosworth engineering empire, bought from Ford a few years ago. The bit that is now for sale is "just" the racing engines side which Ford retained.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think that a purchase of both Cosworth racing engines and Pi (also up for sale in the Ford "showroom") would be a good fit for VAG, even if they don't intend to enter F1 as a constructor.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:51 (Ref:1111154)   #9
tyrrellf1
Rookie

tyrrellf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I probably should have read this link http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/eng-coswo.html

before making my last post as it tells us that Audi used to own Cosworth Racing Engines and then sold it to Ford. Still, strategies can change and Audi have been more active in Motorsport since that decision was made.
Companies can easily be bought back.....
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1111238)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mechachrome would be involved in Flavio's takeover, but the Cosworth name would be kept.

The idea is to become a proper customer engine supplier - to as many teams as want them.

This could be good - and is what F1 needs to sustain it through any fading of manufacturer interest and to allow new teams in.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 13:15 (Ref:1111253)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just like when Renault left previously then. And as such Flav would have a "hold" over a significant part of the grid.

Not good (see B Ecclestone).
Old 30 Sep 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1111261)   #12
onfullnoise
Rookie

onfullnoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Cosworth name & badge are owned by VAG & Ford only use it by aggrement & licence from VAG.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1111286)   #13
onfullnoise
Rookie

VAG puchased the COSWORTH empire from VICKERS PLC & VAG did the deal with FORD .
Old 30 Sep 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1111307)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ithought Mechachrome had become defunct but then I read today in Autosport that they are a technical partner of Eddie Cheevers IRL Team. Strange one that as Eddie used to run Nissan Infiniti engines (part of Renault) which were serviced by TWR Racing engines (Flavs former partner at BenElton), but now he gets Cosworth built Chevies from Mechachrome (correct?) that used to build Renault F1 engines. Anyone else v confused?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1111324)   #15
onfullnoise
Rookie

Mechachrome are far from being defunct, just have a look at their web site. They now own the old TWR ENGINES bussiness ,and rebuild the COSWORTH tweeked IRL CHEVIES for Cheever.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1111336)   #16
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought that Flav owned Supertech

IIRC Mechachrome is a company that used to be part of Renault (or Matra). They were the ones that build the engines for Renault in a similar construction now used by mercedes and Illmore. When Renault pulled out they still had the engines and sold them. First as mechachrome and later under the supertech name.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 15:15 (Ref:1111353)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd rather have Flavio having a perceived "hold" over half the grid than not have the engines available and thus see the teams disappear.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1111682)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by onfullnoise
Mechachrome are far from being defunct, just have a look at their web site. They now own the old TWR ENGINES bussiness ,and rebuild the COSWORTH tweeked IRL CHEVIES for Cheever.
So do they own the rights to the old TWR/ARROWS/HART F1 engine used a few years back. Maybe we will see that back next year also, as well as the Minardi F1 engines (old cossies?) Thanks for clearing that up by the way. Supertech was Flavs marketing name for his holding company and Mechachrome did the work?
Old 2 Oct 2004, 03:22 (Ref:1113042)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Cosworth doesn't just tweak the IRL Chevy engine. They designed and built it and even if it has Chevrolet on the cam covers an IRL mechanic tells me it has FORD stamped on it at the base of the block...!
The assumption here seems to be that a private firm can afford to design, develop, build, sell and service a competitive F1 engine at a price independent teams can afford. Eerrr ...no they can't and that is where the idea of Briatore to the rescue is simply fanciful thinking...
Old 2 Oct 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1113562)   #20
statsguy7
Rookie

statsguy7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
Ithought Mechachrome had become defunct but then I read today in Autosport that they are a technical partner of Eddie Cheevers IRL Team. Strange one that as Eddie used to run Nissan Infiniti engines (part of Renault) which were serviced by TWR Racing engines (Flavs former partner at BenElton), but now he gets Cosworth built Chevies from Mechachrome (correct?) that used to build Renault F1 engines. Anyone else v confused?
So as you can see this is all inter-twined: Renault/Nissan-Infiniti, Flavio Briatore, Mecachrome, Cosworth, Eddie Cheever, and... Red Bull, which is Cheever's IRL team sponsor AND the supposed new buyer of Jaguar F1...
Old 5 Oct 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1115942)   #21
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
And they say that politics makes for strange bedfellows...

Curiouser and curiouser, I say.