Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jan 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1195769)   #1
OSTKURVE
Rookie

United States
Los Angeles
OSTKURVE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did Sir Frank pass on DC's services

I find it strange that Sir Frank Williams opted to pass on the services of a seasoned veteran like David Coulthard.

Although Coulthard has never been able to capture the world driving title he has a rather impressive record.

With Coulthard being in need of a seat for the 2005 season & in the driver's market I thought for sure Willams would have retained his services since Mika Hakinnen(the only other logical choice for a team such as Williams) announced that we has going to the DTM series after the council's ruling in Milan forcing Button to stay @ BAR.

If I were a team principal I would retain the services of a pilot such as Coulthard before employing Heidfeld,Webber,or Pizzonia.

In my humble opinoin Heidfeld is nothing to write home about. His performance @ Jordan was below par,& I quite astonished that he was able to land a seat @ a team like Williams.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1195856)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you think Heidfeld's performance at Jordan was below par, you weren't looking closely enough.

I've seen a detailed analysis of what he did at the Japanese Grand Prix, with reference to several other drivers, and he was stellar that day.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1195859)   #3
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Below par in a Jordan is something quite different to below par in a McLaren.

Heidfeld may yet turn out to be a speedy driver, but when you're battling with a German engine manufacturer that wants to leave you, perhaps it's best to get a German along to appease them.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1195875)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Coulthard has a record of underachieving, given the top-rank team he has been with for the last umpteen years - whereas Heidfeld OVER-achieved with the frankly terrible Jordan in 2004.

Why choose Webber over DC? Er - not sure it's even worth replying to that... put it this way: one of them beats his team-mates, one doesn't.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1195878)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glen - on your final point:

One of them has been team mate to a world champion, a double world champion, and a driver heavily tipped to be world champion in future.

The other's been team-mate to a few journeymen.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1195901)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't call Frentzen a journeyman...
Old 8 Jan 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1195907)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

ASCII Man - I was referring to Glen's comparison of Coulthard and Webber, not Heidfeld.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1195983)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Glen - on your final point:

One of them has been team mate to a world champion, a double world champion, and a driver heavily tipped to be world champion in future.

The other's been team-mate to a few journeymen.
Sir Frank knows more about F1 than any of us, so i'm sure he knows what he's doing when he hired Webber over DC
Old 8 Jan 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1195985)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

I agree hiring Webber was the right decision, I'm just saying it's a bit more complex than "he's beaten his teammates"

Old 8 Jan 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1196021)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes it is KB.
I also thought FW would go with DC on a 1 year deal, with the thought of Button joining up in '06. Assuming quick Nick gets the drive this year, he could very well prove himself once and for all and make the decision to bring in Button a difficult one.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1196030)   #11
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon Heidfeld is a lot better than some seem to think.

Let's not forget that at Sauber in 2001, he outqualified Kimi more often than not and ended the season with more points on the board. Yes Kimi was a rookie but remember it was only Heidfeld's 2nd season. Never let machinery be the judge of talent.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1196034)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What does DC bring to the table? He's periodically able to win when his car is a second a lap faster than everyone elses? I think it makes complete sense to take Heidfeld, Webber and Pizzonia over DC.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1196068)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still say Webber's name is based entirely on that 5th place at Melbourne - he hasn't done anything more impressive since...even Irvine got podiums in the dogs Jag gave him.

DC is a very good racer - very consistent. It's the fact that he's rubbish over one lap that lets him down.

Hakkinen, Hill, Raikkonen - some of the best names to grace the F1 stage...how would anyone measure up?
Old 8 Jan 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1196081)   #14
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
Hakkinen, Hill, Raikkonen - some of the best names to grace the F1 stage...how would anyone measure up?
Good job he was never partnered with Schumacher, Senna or Prost then, he would have looked really bad!!!!!!!!!! And how can you rate Hill with Hakkinen or Raikkonen?
Old 8 Jan 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1196083)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Hill is a world champion and winner of 22 Grands Prix - you can't really knock him for that.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1196087)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber might not have grabbed a podium, but he's put him Jag in a good position in a number of occations.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1196117)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And... MW knew his car was a heap of warm merde on many occassions... yet kept that factoid to himself, and chose NOT to slam the team in the press... unlike his predecessors...

DC would do a journeyman like job... which is probably as good as Pizzaboy and HideAndSeek will be able to achieve this season... except the 2 probably cost less than DC on his own...
Old 8 Jan 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1196121)   #18
Caligula B
Rookie

Caligula B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear Raven,
You are quite right in what you say that Heidfeld was faster than Raikkonen in 2001 but after 14 races it was 7-7 in qualifying, after the anouncement that Kimi was joining Mclaren for 2002 it all changed & Kimi was possibly left out by the team. Heidfeld beat him 3-0 in the 3 subsequent qualifying sessions. I still believe Nick was the faster but you must admit that the young Finnish lad has learnt a lot since then. Heidfeld is no journeyman in my opinion but 3 years at Mclaren would teach you a lot more than 2 years in a poor Sauber & 1 year in a poor Jordan. Nick may well be the sensible choice but until he grows some balls & starts getting nasty he is still not the finished article by a long way.
[I]Caligula B
Old 8 Jan 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1196129)   #19
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams will have a team of unproven drivers.Let battle commence.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1196135)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

McLaren have Raikkonen and Montoya.

Williams have Mark Webber and either Pizzonia or Heidfeld.

Ron Dennis must be laughing!
Old 8 Jan 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1196151)   #21
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula B
Dear Raven,
You are quite right in what you say that Heidfeld was faster than Raikkonen in 2001 but after 14 races it was 7-7 in qualifying, after the anouncement that Kimi was joining Mclaren for 2002 it all changed & Kimi was possibly left out by the team. Heidfeld beat him 3-0 in the 3 subsequent qualifying sessions. I still believe Nick was the faster but you must admit that the young Finnish lad has learnt a lot since then. Heidfeld is no journeyman in my opinion but 3 years at Mclaren would teach you a lot more than 2 years in a poor Sauber & 1 year in a poor Jordan. Nick may well be the sensible choice but until he grows some balls & starts getting nasty he is still not the finished article by a long way.
[I]Caligula B

Agreed. I said at the time that Kimi looked the better ultimate prospect, and today any team owner would take Kimi over Nick in a heartbeat, providing they could afford him of course.

I just used that as an example to say Heidfeld is no slouch. Where better to 'grow some balls and get nasty' than at Williams? I think he deserves the chance, especially over DC who looks to be on the decline as a driver.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1196160)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

If the McLaren design team does as good a job for 2005 as it has done in the last couple of seasons, I know who will be laughing... and it wont be Mr Dennis & co!
Old 8 Jan 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1196172)   #23
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the main reason In my opinion that Frank didnt choose DC is because its all about the future , seriously DC doesnt have many years in F1 left , this will be his 11th year in the series and thats a stellar career to start with.

Im still out to lunch on heidfeld , I too think he isnt all people make him out to be but hopefully if he gets the race seat he will prove me wrong (wouldnt be the first time thats happened either )

but Webber was a strong choice and they could have done with DC's experience but the youth and speed of Pizzonia and hiedfeld is a much better choice for the future of williams grand prix engineering i think
Old 8 Jan 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1196187)   #24
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC's F1 career is on borrowed time, he probably only has a season or two left at the most.

Webber on the other hand is Williams' long term project, much like they considered Montoya to be until they fell out or how McLaren look to Kimi.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 00:50 (Ref:1196216)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

He's not saying it out loud though, far too much egg on his face in the past.

If Williams privail, I dare say it will be Frank laughing (all the way to the bank too).