Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 27 Aug 2003, 16:07 (Ref:700833)   #1
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fitness

Does anyone out there do any strength/fitness training for karting? I’ve never cared about being a ten stone weakling before, but I’ve started endurance kart racing this season and discovered that after about 25 mins in the kart (100cc two strokes) I’m getting tired to the point where I start losing time.

Obviously driving exercises all the muscles involved, but I can’t afford to spend enough time in the kart to use that as training; it’s also no help in the off season. Can anyone recommend any simple (ie. little/no equipment) exercises that will help?
Old 27 Aug 2003, 17:45 (Ref:700929)   #2
Rocktracer
Racer

Rocktracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
swimming i find is handy. Before i go i make the time to visit the gym
Old 27 Aug 2003, 19:32 (Ref:701038)   #3
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do Cycling for about 2 hours non stop, weights for my arms, long distance running, and tend to cut down on eating a week before my races.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 20:07 (Ref:701076)   #4
Rocktracer
Racer

Jeepers..and your how old... Watch out Shumie!
Old 27 Aug 2003, 21:03 (Ref:701129)   #5
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was karting I used to do lots of cycling, 1-2hrs a night and tried to go swimming a couple of times a week. Do some press-ups or long arm pulls which should help.

Each plenty of high carb food before you race such as pasta, dates, figs etc...

I used to do some enduro racing as well and have in the past done 3 2hr stints back to back without problems so it does help.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 23:08 (Ref:701260)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wowsers , some serious guys out there

after my first event I realized I needed some more upper body strength so i did a bit of weight training to try and get some strength there.

it seemed to work , but then again it could have been from the more driving I did , but i felt thats where i needed to improve.

as for other training , no not really , jogged a little bit but it was usually just to the fridge for another beer
Old 27 Aug 2003, 23:23 (Ref:701278)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got the same problem as Gore, being a small frame (tall but lanky).

Thing is i'm too lazy to do anything about it. Shame sleeping doesn't build you up!
Old 28 Aug 2003, 14:08 (Ref:701843)   #8
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sleeping, i do alot of that. I'm tall and thin, but my arms and legs are muscley... though i find the more driving i do, the more fitter i feel.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 14:09 (Ref:701847)   #9
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I stepped up my training from a week ago and i have gone from 10stone 10 to 10 stone 1, lost 9 pounds!
Old 28 Aug 2003, 14:59 (Ref:701894)   #10
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys, if nothing else you've reassured me that I'm not the only one taking my karting this seriously

Andy Roberts--Six hours in a kart? That's impressive, I think that would quite literally kill me as I am at the moment! It would certainly bankrupt me, anyway...

Driving the kart definitely helps--I did two races in 6 days the other week, and my girlfriend's convinced my back is better built than before (apparently that's what she looks for in a man--strange how women all have their own tastes while all men look for pretty much the same thing(s)...). Unfortunately I don't get to drive as often as I'd like (ie. every day!)

The swimming and cycling sound like good ideas, although I haven't been in a pool since I managed to panic and splutter my way across the local baths for my 10 metre badge when I was ten, and I'm moving back to London soon, which doesn't mix very well with cycling...

Speedy King--what is the purpose of eating less leading up to a race? I only ask as I like to understand why things are a good idea.

Last edited by Gore; 28 Aug 2003 at 15:00.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 16:15 (Ref:701963)   #11
Rocktracer
Racer

less chance of having the squits!! less in your belly to make you ill.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 21:57 (Ref:703644)   #12
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
lol, not entirely, just prevents you from building up heavy fat in you, just eat main meals, nothing imbetween and nothing too fatty either like fast food, pasta is good because it's light. It's all weight. Also avoid fatty foods on race day, it slows your reactions down.

about the stomack problems.....it dosen't help that unfortunately, on my last race i got a stomach bug in the morning had to dash off tot he loos before free practice. not good!
Old 2 Sep 2003, 11:30 (Ref:705540)   #13
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
my girlfriend's convinced my back is better built than before (apparently that's what she looks for in a man--strange how women all have their own tastes while all men look for pretty much the same thing(s)...).
I look at upper arms, also comes from lots of karting

Apparently swimming with a float between your legs or water wings round your ankles so you're exercising your upper body is good. Might look a fool though
Old 2 Sep 2003, 14:53 (Ref:705747)   #14
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Just karting by it's self has built me huge upper arm muscles
Old 2 Sep 2003, 16:36 (Ref:705807)   #15
Rocktracer
Racer

Handy when typing things to your girlfrinds mother by mistake; when having to defending yourself....Hey Speedy..

Last edited by Rocktracer; 2 Sep 2003 at 16:37.