Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Feb 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3031935)   #1
wilma
Rookie

England
Hemel Hempstead, Herts
wilma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden Hill 24th March

hope someone can help me regarding my first visit to Lydden Hill for the Rallycross on Saturday 24th March - i've struggled to negotiate the Lydden Hill website... maybe it's my browser, maybe i'm just not paying attention but I cant find spectator information such as entrance fee, times and facilities.

can anyone assist?
Old 27 Feb 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3031961)   #2
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The individual event links on the RallycrossUK site don't seem to be working and the Lydden site is showing bugger all (as far as I can see), so its not you!

Facebook seems to get the most up-to-date news stream on things, but here is the key info:

Adult ticket: £15
Children under 12: free

Camping is available on the Saturday evening at £5 per adult.

Practise kicks off at 9AM (so says Facebook), so first race will probably be between half 9 and 10.

There are permanent toilets there, plus there will no doubt be the usual range of burger vans on site for lunch.

Any more info required, just ask!
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:22 (Ref:3032323)   #3
wilma
Rookie

England
Hemel Hempstead, Herts
thanks your help, much appreciated. where's the best spot at the track for spectators to catch the most action? and one last question (I promise ) realistically when is the best time to arrive to avoid queuing and/or avoiding a car parking nightmare?
Old 28 Feb 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3032339)   #4
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma View Post
thanks your help, much appreciated. where's the best spot at the track for spectators to catch the most action?...
Have you not been to Lydden before? One of the best features of the circuit is that you can pretty much stand anywhere round the outside of the circuit and see everything. I tend to move around a bit, though my fave spot is by the start. I think there are few sounds in motorsport better than a grid full of Supercars on the line ready to go!

North Bend (the top of the hill) is a pretty good spot, as is the outside of Paddock Bend (as they come down the hill). I quite like being down the end of the Canterbury Straight as well, as the cars often get a little bit unsteady coming off the loose and back onto the tarmac.

As I say though, standing pretty much anywhere round the track will allow you to see all the action.

Quote:
...and one last question (I promise ) realistically when is the best time to arrive to avoid queuing and/or avoiding a car parking nightmare?
The only time there is really any major delay getting into Lydden is during the ERC. If you get there between 8 and half 8 you should avoid the crowds, but I normally get there around 9 and I don't recall ever spending anymore than 10 minutes queuing to get in. The only real queue is getting out at the end of the day: its nowhere near as epic as some of the waits you have getting out of Brands etc. though!

If you look at above map, the entire area North of the track (where the text that says "Brown elements are thought to be unpaved" is) is grass and suitable for parking. If you're driving a low car take it easy going down the hill, but otherwise you'll be fine. If you get there early enough you can actually park right beside the track.

Its not great quality, but check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJi9hzEdVc

This was filmed from the start line (pretty much exactly where the red arrow is on the map), so keep an eye out and you can see where the crowd line is around the track and the size of the parking area on the side of the hill. There are overflow car parks (also on grass) as well, so even if it is mentally packed, you'll find somewhere to park.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3032410)   #5
ClintonRX
Rookie

England
Nr Ashford
ClintonRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi. My first post here, although I have been reading the forum for a few months now. I live only half an hour from Lydden and have been a visitor to the track since the 1960's when a friend of my parents used to do motorcycle road racing. tbtstt has just about said it all Wilma. It is a great circuit to watch from virtually any position, being in like a natural amphitheatre. Have some lovely memories of Rallycross from the 70's & 80's in particular and part of the 90's. Then my young son got into football and that was my weekends gone for a good few years. But last year i enjoyed more Rallycross action than I had done for the previous 15 years put together. Can't wait for the BRC in March and of course the ERC at Easter. I have even convinced one of my neighbours to come along. He's never seen Rallycross before, so I am hoping the ERC will convert him. Hope it doesn't disappoint. My son and I did do some of the other ERC rounds last year and had a great time. He's now 19 and an Xbox nut so when he knew Tanner Foust was doing the championship, football got kicked into a cocked hat (or something like that). TF is in one of his driving games..Dirt something?...I haven't got a clue. Enjoy Lydden Wilma. It can get a bit drafty at the circuit being as it is in a valley.

Last edited by ClintonRX; 28 Feb 2012 at 13:31. Reason: Spelling
Old 28 Feb 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3032446)   #6
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonRX View Post
TF is in one of his driving games..Dirt something?...I haven't got a clue.
He was in both Dirt 2 & Dirt 3 Not sure if Foust is going to be at Lydden in April yet, I've yet to see any official annoucement of his plans for 2012. Hope he will be though, as I'd like to see a Mk.7 RX Fez on track again this year!

Back on topic I've managed to convince a few mates (and family members!) to come along to rallycross at Lydden in the last few years and pretty much all of them have wanted to come back and see more. I shall be doing my best to do the same again in 2012!
Old 28 Feb 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3032585)   #7
gas305
Rookie

England
Worthing
gas305 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah tbstt has it nailed, anywhere at Lydden is a great place to watch. I Always end up at the hairpin for some reason? Ive been lucky enough to have been to Lydden every year for all of my 38 years. My dad was a former rallyxcrosser and i was fortunate enough to race bikes for 7 great years at Lydden with BMCRC.

It truly is one of our national treasures and fortunatley has remained largely unspoiled. The toilets on the bank are as i remember them when i watched the Sealink and winter series way back when i was 10 or so!!!

Everyone should get there friends to Lydden, i have and will continue to get my pals there every year, rallycross really needs saving. It is the truest form of motorsport, i have watched all these years it going in a direction i`m not sure can sustain itself and i so wish the 80`s could happen over again. That doesnt mean that its still not the best way to spend a day!! See you all there.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3032634)   #8
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden was the first circuit I ever visited and though I have since been to many motor racing and rallycross circuits both at home and abroad nothing has yet beaten Lydden for viewing.

As tbstt has said you can walk round the whole circuit and get a great view from just about anywhere, in fact some people just get out of their cars in the large area between Dover Slope and North Bend, put a rug down and watch from there, and if the weather is really horrible and you dont fancy braving the elements you can watch from the car. There is no high fencing so even the most amateur of photographers like myself can get a fairly decent picture and you can walk around the paddock at any time of day for no extra charge. Enjoy your first visit to Lydden, I can virtually guarantee you will love it!
Old 9 Mar 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3037724)   #9
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So with a little over 2 weeks to go any news, any gossip, who we think will be there.... my thoughts... on some of the classes:

Supercars: L.Doran C4, P.Doran C4, Godfrey, Harris C4, Hill, Mundy, Anson, Grant, O'Donovan, McCann, Langley, Pusey, Jukes, Procter?, Watson? Scott?, J.L.Pailler? Janssen?, Tracey?

SN: Bird, Boak, S.Wakeling, A.Simpson, Tapscott, P.Bellerby, Lawford, Shrimpton, Emery, Wade, Bristow, Cozens, Turpin?, Howlin?, Priddy?, Ryan?, Pauwels? Tohill?

S1600: R.Simpson, Ridge, Ulrik Linnemann, Knowles, Peters, Wielgosz, Jones, Chicken,

HH/SH: Duke, Rook, Swales, Woloch, Clarke, Ellis, Lomax, Cree, Potter, Dalton? Fatchett? Twomey?,

Any thoughts?
Any additions?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3037773)   #10
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly there seems to be a lack of enthusiasm for the British series.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3037863)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
Sadly there seems to be a lack of enthusiasm for the British series.
I think it's just been overshadowed by the GRC/ERC over the winter as there's been plenty to talk about regarding those series. Once the wheels start turning in anger I hope the enthusiasm will pick up. There is plenty of potential in the supercars - some new drivers as well as the usual suspects. I hope Mark Watson finds some money down the back of the sofa so he can make it to Lydden.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3038011)   #12
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree Bert it's the last thing rallycross in this country should be doing as it's the grass roots of the sport. I too hope the amiable Mad Mark finds some sponsorship.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3038321)   #13
maranello48
Rookie

maranello48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamakiRX View Post
So with a little over 2 weeks to go any news, any gossip, who we think will be there.... my thoughts... on some of the classes:

Supercars: L.Doran C4, P.Doran C4, Godfrey, Harris C4, Hill, Mundy, Anson, Grant, O'Donovan, McCann, Langley, Pusey, Jukes, Procter?, Watson? Scott?, J.L.Pailler? Janssen?, Tracey?

SN: Bird, Boak, S.Wakeling, A.Simpson, Tapscott, P.Bellerby, Lawford, Shrimpton, Emery, Wade, Bristow, Cozens, Turpin?, Howlin?, Priddy?, Ryan?, Pauwels? Tohill?

S1600: R.Simpson, Ridge, Ulrik Linnemann, Knowles, Peters, Wielgosz, Jones, Chicken,

HH/SH: Duke, Rook, Swales, Woloch, Clarke, Ellis, Lomax, Cree, Potter, Dalton? Fatchett? Twomey?,

Any thoughts?
Any additions?
Well, you've missed off at least four classes.
Both sets of swifts: bellerbys etc,
bmw minis: edwardes and both hudsons,
and classic minis: edwardes, wakeling, crooks, o'flanagan.....
Old 11 Mar 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3038356)   #14
AlamakiRX
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranello48 View Post
Well, you've missed off at least four classes.
Both sets of swifts: bellerbys etc,
bmw minis: edwardes and both hudsons,
and classic minis: edwardes, wakeling, crooks, o'flanagan.....
I was just doing the main classes but here are the other 7 making the 11 classes!:

BTRDA Mods: Ewin, Clayton, Moore, Cook, Dutton, Crocker, Mooney, Wood, Jukes.....

Snr Swifts: Lynch, Hills, Rodmark, Norman, Stone, Coney, Mullen, Thornton, Bean, Cousins, Scott, Riley, Doran, Ovenden, (Bellerby not racing in 2012 supporting Paige in the Lotus S2 in SN!)

Jnr Swifts: Hansen, Ross, Wheatley, Hathaway, Thomas.....

BMW Mini's: Hudson, Hudson, Bell, Bird.....

Minicross: Griffin, Wakeling, Crooks,

RX150: Feeney, Scott, Harris, Harris, Foster, Sargent....

Retro: Gibson, Smith, Harrold, Crampton.....

Any thoughts any more additons?
Old 11 Mar 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3038372)   #15
paul1982
Racer

paul1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do you think pailler? Hè show his plans on march 30????
Old 11 Mar 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3038401)   #16
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normal entry is closed, hope to see an entry list soon.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3040880)   #17
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will we see an entry list before the end of the week? With Liam's news and a new car for Pat, I am very excited to see the list! Really hoping for some other ERC regulars doing some last-minute testing.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3041061)   #18
Kevin McCann
Rookie

England
Cranleigh Surrey
Kevin McCann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamakiRX View Post

Any thoughts?
Any additions?
Much as it pains me I can confirm we will not be at Lydden. Even with the best efforts within the team and outside it were just not quite there yet.If everything slots into place for once we may make the next event. May I take this opportunity to thank all those who have helped in the build and development (including possible new team member tbtstt)
Old 15 Mar 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3041471)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Sorry to hear that Kevin, hope it's up and running soon
Old 15 Mar 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3041663)   #20
wilma
Rookie

England
Hemel Hempstead, Herts
i'm looking forward to it - i've already have a car-load of potential new rallycross fans to bring with me for my first trip to Lydden Hill and Top Gear on Sunday has only fuelled our eager anticipation.

we're already planning our second trip before completing our first - the Euro's at April bank holiday weekend. What type of facilities are there for camping and how popular is it?
Old 15 Mar 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3041695)   #21
dex92
Racer

dex92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i'm looking forward to it - i've already have a car-load of potential new rallycross fans to bring with me for my first trip to Lydden Hill and Top Gear on Sunday has only fuelled our eager anticipation.

we're already planning our second trip before completing our first - the Euro's at April bank holiday weekend. What type of facilities are there for camping and how popular is it?
Theres toilets and showers down in the paddock area, theres only a couple so either get up really early or you may face a queue. In regards to camping if youre worried you wont be able to pitch your tent you should be fine as they have two fields for camping and the first one is quite big.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3041707)   #22
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCann View Post
(including possible new team member tbtstt)
Official team tea maker reporting for duty! Its a damn shame the car isn't going to make it at Lydden but, having followed its progress for a while now, it should be worth the wait!
Old 15 Mar 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3041806)   #23
Lyddan1
Rookie

England
Lyddan1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More Swift news:

Irishman Ed Muldoon is to contest the opening Lydden round.

He hired a RX150 for few events last year but has now switched to Swifts.

My whole report on this has gone out to the Swift mailing list and should be on the website very soon...

Should be a good entry for Swifts!
Old 16 Mar 2012, 07:48 (Ref:3042036)   #24
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only 3 Minicross cars??
Where are all the rest??
Old 16 Mar 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3042160)   #25
AlamakiRX
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
Only 3 Minicross cars??
Where are all the rest??
Only 3 Minicross cars??

You seen an entry list then? How you know that?