Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 30 Nov 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1473846)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Taking camera gear onto planes

Just wondering, I might be doing a couple of flyaway races next season, and I was thinking about transporting all my gear. I have a fairly big bag with my camera body, flash and all the various accessories, plus two big lens bags. What's the best way of getting all this onto a plane?
Old 30 Nov 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1473875)   #2
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buy a Peli flight case Mike, they do a decent range, including one that conforms to hand luggage sizes
Old 30 Nov 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1473880)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool, I'll look into that once next years plans are definite.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1473915)   #4
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Cool, I'll look into that once next years plans are definite.
Just think about the Export and Import regulations before you jet off with all of your camera kit in a BIG box, which advertises “Pro Kit Inside”! The nice men and women of customs don’t give a hoot about you pocket instamatic doing the rounds of assorted EU and non EU countries, but when it comes to a substantial amount of professional kit they like you to fill out a declaration on export and import then pay for the privilege each time you travel.

Another little point our dear friends across the great pond (the yanks) also take an interest in your earning potential while you are temporally resident in their country so ensure you have the correct visa before you leave. It’s a little complex explaining your “only” on Holiday when you import $30,000 of camera gear for an 8-day trip to Sebring!

One other small point you can carry some of your kit onboard as hand luggage (I often do) but be prepared to have it taken from you and put in the hold, just think about the return of your kit after its been dragged across a runway and along a nice conveyer belt and that’s after the drugs dog has peed on it…

Apart from that happy travels!!!

Oh yes the Peli case are great, I have a 1620 almost big enough for half the kit!
Old 30 Nov 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1473930)   #5
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The carry-on case looks a pretty good option:
http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/CaseProducts/1510.htm
Old 30 Nov 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1473932)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget to check your airline's carry-on weight limit. Some are as low as 13kg and that Peli case probably weighs more than that on its own.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1473938)   #7
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was in the states I bought myself a Lowepro camera bag, and on my return found it ok to carry-on no problems.

This is not the bag I bought, but would be lighter than a peli

http://www.lowepro.com/images/produc...MiniAW_2_n.jpg

full site:
http://www.lowepro.com/
Old 30 Nov 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1474083)   #8
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
in Capitola, CA, USA (aka Paradise)
Andrew W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,

It really varies by airline. Where are you planning on shooting and with whom are you planning on flying with? I could try and dig up the research I have done for this myself.

Virgin were the worst when it comes to transporting pro gear and got rather adamant (what ever happened to him - I digress) about weight when I went to Spa for F1, however, (and I'll try and dig up the paperwork) they do allow a larger media allowance if you can establish that you're "media" (thus a copy of your letter from an editor etc etc).

Travelling on Quantas wasn't an issue either when I just flew to OZ for MotoGP. They have a 15lb/carry on limit (limit 2 pieces) however, I always travel with my Digital Lightware backpack (see http://www.jackgruber.com to see how much you can get into this thing) and it weighs fully loaded (2 1DMKs's and 1 1DMK1, 300f2.8L, 70-200f2.8L, 24-70f2.8L, 15mmf/e, 15-30mm wide, 2 flashguns (420 and 550), imagebank, 1.4 and 2x TC combined together, 4 batteries, a brace of CF cards and charger and cables - never packs charger and cables in your luggage either) 42lb or thereabouts. It fits nicely in overhead bins as well.

Depending on wherever you're going (if you're coming here - the US) you *shouldn't* have an issue. I fly with either Frontier Airlines or SouthWest domestically. With Southwest you can even preboard if you're media and there's no weight restriction or bag limit PROVIDED it fits in the overhead compartment (which my bag does) and you have media credentials

You might run into some issues with Customs but if you mention you're here on temporary business and have some documentation to support that you shouldn't have a problem. It was no different when I went to OZ.

I think you can also grab yourself one of these if you're worried about establishing proof that your gear is not for import/export:

http://www.atacarnet.com/ata-carnet-info.htm

Andrew
Old 30 Nov 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1474087)   #9
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
What's the best way of getting all this onto a plane?

In a big peli case (or similar) as checked baggage.. Be properly insured and be prepared to pay excess baggage charges at check-in..

Although you didn't ask about other things specifically, you do need to be fully aware that if you're thinking of going outside the EU then you're into a whole new world of visas, permits and customs documnets.. Do some reading on the various web sites of the countries you want to visit..

Media passes are working passes and cameras can be sensitive things to have about your person in foreign lands (remember the plane spotters in Greece a few years ago?).. For example, members of the foreign media are, I understand, not allowed into Bahrian without an official invite from a Bahraini organisation.. The US will look for carnets and visas.. and if you were to ruck up to China without the appropriate paperwork you'll be on the first plane back.. Whether or not your gear will follow you..?

Hope that helps
Old 30 Nov 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1474094)   #10
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew W
I always travel with my Digital Lightware backpack
Good advice for anybody.. The Lowe Pro mini-trecker is also carry on sized, rugged and suprisingly sizable.. You can get a body, a 300, a 70-200, 3 small lenses, batteries and a flash in there easy.. Great for getting stuff on airplanes and good for carting stuff around when you get there..

It's worth recognising that carry on sizes and weights allowed in europe can be very much less than in the US.. On an Embraer Regional Jet, for instance, the overhead bins will take only a thinner type laptop bag and a coat

As far as the US is concerned Andrew, non-US citizens going on assignment in the US will need a media (I) visa and a Carnet is also advisable (as you suggest)..

Mike, Carnet's cost about £300 quid when you've paid for the insurance. They are valid for a year and can be obtained form your local Chamber of Commerce..
Old 30 Nov 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1474099)   #11
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
Good advice for anybody.. The Lowe Pro mini-trecker is also carry on sized, rugged and suprisingly sizable.. You can get a body, a 300, a 70-200, 3 small lenses, batteries and a flash in there easy.. Great for getting stuff on airplanes and good for carting stuff around when you get there..

It's worth recognising that carry on sizes and weights allowed in europe can be very much less than in the US.. On an Embraer Regional Jet, for instance, the overhead bins will take only a thinner type laptop bag and a coat

As far as the US is concerned Andrew, non-US citizens going on assignment in the US will need a media (I) visa and a Carnet is also advisable (as you suggest)..

Mike, Carnet's cost about £300 quid when you've paid for the insurance. They are valid for a year and can be obtained form your local Chamber of Commerce..
Is that similar to those small turboprop puddle jumper planes we have here, as yes, the same rules apply.

I did have to send my Lightware into the depths of the 747 when we returned from the UK after Spa (and figured oh well, it's insured if anything happens to it now) but, I always buy some bubble wrap just in case. That said, Virgin slapped fragile stickers on it and it was hand carried and hand loaded onto the plane (you can ask for this too I have since found out).

That's good to know about the media visa. I know for OZ you have to fill out an online form and it costs $25AUS (I think it was) and as my wife came with me, I did a tourist one for her, and and a business one for me. That said, the customs was pretty straight forward. Just make sure you don't have any nuts, dairy, beef products (like OXO or beef "named" products) as well when coming here.

But in the US, if you travel on the bigger domestic planes (Airbus/737-400's) etc it's really easy. The smaller planes yes, your stuff will go below, but just ask to have it hand loaded.

Andrew
Old 30 Nov 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1474103)   #12
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew W
it was hand carried and hand loaded onto the plane (you can ask for this too I have since found out)......

The smaller planes yes, your stuff will go below, but just ask to have it hand loaded.
My you're trusting.....in the UK it's the fragile stuff they play footie with first!!!
Old 30 Nov 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1474106)   #13
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
My you're trusting.....in the UK it's the fragile stuff they play footie with first!!!

But that's what insurance is for....
Old 30 Nov 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1474169)   #14
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,

The amount of kit you're talking about doesn't sound too bad in terms of weight and size.

I've had my kit as hand luggage every single time I've travelled with it over the last few years (all within Europe) .Seeing as I'm lacking a 500 f4 and only occasionally take a laptop, it all fits in my Billingham 550 and goes on as hand luggage. That's 2 1D series bodies, 70-200 2.8, 300f4, 17-40 and 24-70 2.8, and all the assorted things to keep it powered, backed-up and clean.

It's almost certainly over any reasonable hand luggage weight, although that's never been a problem (howeever, a recent visit to a chiropractor found that my right shoulder was and inch and a half lower than my left and I think i know why...)

I recall reading that one of the American professional photographers' organisations produced a document in the wake of 9/11 which stated clearly why professional photographers should be allowed their principal equipment on as hand luggage and this was supported by the major US airlines. Despite the fact that the agreement doesn't include Europe, it might be useful to have as a clear case to present to any airline staff who question you bringing camera gear on as hand luggage.

David - as an aside, I'll be going out to Sebring next year - is a media visa necessary even for a trip of a few days?
Old 30 Nov 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1474212)   #15
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I flew out to Valencia next year I BA let me take my Camera onboard as hand luggage.

I think the limit is something like 5kgs.

Actually I'm half considering buggering off to either Valencia or Barcelona next week, only this time I've got more equipment.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 22:25 (Ref:1474228)   #16
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_gav
David - as an aside, I'll be going out to Sebring next year - is a media visa necessary even for a trip of a few days?
See PM
Old 30 Nov 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1474241)   #17
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're on a tight budget, 7dayshop.com do a rucksack bag similar to the Lowepro above, but for only £18 + p&p. I use this and it fits into the overhead lockers with ease, will hold the camera with one lens attached down the centre, the other lens in one of the side slots, and the flash in the other. There's also plenty of storage space for other bits & pieces as well.

Have a look at : http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=6021
Old 1 Dec 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1475088)   #18
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One trick is to get a camera bag that is not too big but can store all the kit you need to take.

At check-in leave half the kit with a mate who is waiting away from the check in, when your hand luggage gets weighed, its underweight.

Go back to your mate and stuff the rest of the kit back in the bag, as long as you are not dragging it behind with the straps at breaking point, the boarding staff don't bother you.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1475111)   #19
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l
Go back to your mate and stuff the rest of the kit back in the bag, as long as you are not dragging it behind with the straps at breaking point, the boarding staff don't bother you.
Hmm.. Bet they've never seen that one before..

BCal, on the old African flights, used to do a double check-in trick whereby everybody was re-checked at the gate..

Most airline staff look for oversized rather than overweight items for carry on.. In my experience, anyway..
Old 1 Dec 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1475118)   #20
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That might work fine as an amateur but on the basis Happy Snapper manages to fill fill most of my Saab's boot with his gear I'm not it works for anyone else.....
Old 1 Dec 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1475133)   #21
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
David,

I also know that Virgin at Heathrow has staff that will walk amongst passengers waiting to board and physically ask "is that your bag" ask if they can "pick it up" and bingo....

Andrew
Old 1 Dec 2005, 22:43 (Ref:1475189)   #22
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just got back from the final NASCAR round at Homestead this week-had no problems-just the hand luggage (all my camera gear) went back through the X-Ray machine as they couldn't suss out what it all was...probably due to all the small 1/64 NASCAR cars I bought in Wallmart etc! ...the only problem I did get was finding my hands and ankles had been eaten alive by mosies during my short sleep in the car at the circuit!! ....oh...and lots of CHIMPING!!!!
Old 2 Dec 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1475654)   #23
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l
One trick is to get a camera bag that is not too big but can store all the kit you need to take.

At check-in leave half the kit with a mate who is waiting away from the check in, when your hand luggage gets weighed, its underweight.

Great idea. And what if everyone did it?
Old 2 Dec 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1475671)   #24
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadan
Great idea. And what if everyone did it?
The idea would never take off, but then neither would the plane
Old 2 Dec 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1475711)   #25
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble
but then neither would the plane
Exactly, it would overshoot the runway land in a ditch