Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Dec 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2598232)   #1
H15HSV
Rookie

H15HSV has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Opel Commodore

I own the ex Jock Robertson Opel Commodore which needs a complete rebuild but is all complete which is the best championship for this car?
It is the sister car to the one Pete Hall raced and was built by Andy Rouse.
All the other Commodore's seemed to have gone so my car must be very rare now.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 17:35 (Ref:2598577)   #2
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to race against an original rouse car in road saloons back in 1986, it was driven by Richard Waller. Rumoured to have won the Willhire previously. Also a few years later an unrestored sister car was bought by a bloke in the Tunbridge Wells area, I would guess around 1988-90.
Might that be the car you have now ?
Alex.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2598595)   #3
H15HSV
Rookie

Alex this is the car you remember it seems a long time ago now it is still sitting in a lockup waiting for something to happen.
It would be nice to get in touch again PM me sometime when you have time.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2598639)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would say an idea place for it is CTCRC Group 1 saloons if Pre 83 model or Post Historics if Pre-74 (or both!). Is the car white as I think it may have been entered in Road Saloons years ago and sold to Brian Sheridan and used briefly in Modified Production Saloons. Oddly enough if this is the car it was indirectly responsible for the ModProd championship as it had broken down and I had smashed my car in qually and we got talking and decided to start the new championship.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 12 Dec 2009 at 20:39.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2598836)   #5
H15HSV
Rookie

This is the sister car to Brian's old car it is still as it was when used in the Slick 50 championship in the 80's.
It also did the Willhire 24 hour race several times as the lights to light up the door numbers were still on it.
I think it should be put back as it raced in the Mayfair colour's of blue with white lettering.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2598841)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Get it out with CTCRC, seriously I have looked at all the championships since the Modprods packed up and I wanted to return to racing and it ticked more boxes than most for an ex-Slick 50 Group 1 type car. The Modprods were merged with the clubs Classic Thunder but IMHO thats a step too far for the Slick 50/ModProd cars with steel bodywork and orginal glass. You could race in CSCC's future classics but you would be up against Ferraris and Porsches and 40 minute races which don't suit me so I run me 'maros with CTCRC. Masters again is long races and a bit expensive and with a 70's car you will be in with Group 2 flying machines on slicks.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2598847)   #7
H15HSV
Rookie

I retired from racing a few years ago and will not be returning (unless I get enough money for a CanAm or Formula 5000 car) but I do want to get the Opel usable again.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2598856)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Sorry I thought your opening post asked what championship for the car? It would still be a good suggestion to prepare to those regs however as I would imagine it will cost least to get a half decent car up together. You may want to PM Dave Hicton (Ascona2000i I think his psuedo name here is) as he races an Opel Ascona in the championship and knows plenty about these cars.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2598977)   #9
H15HSV
Rookie

It is a pity that there is not events for original cars as it seems the mods that can be done now are a joke.
I raced for years with the CSCC which was for original type cars but now anything seems to go.
Also the driving standards are are getting worse as anyone who watched the televised event from Lydden saw it was like glorified bangers and did the CTCRC no good at all. It is a pity that the HSCC do not run a Saloon race for original cars as they get good venues and full grids.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 20:08 (Ref:2599030)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The TV unfortunately picked out the worse bits, I raced in two races (yellow Camaro) and never had a single moment of bother. Remember its a bloody tight little circuit and 25 cars funnelling down into Chessons will often mean trouble, maybe the track should have a look at the grid spacing. CSCC was probably Classic Saloon Car Club which changed its name to Classic Touring Car Racing Club (CTCRC)which was a bit confusing and unfortunate because Classic Sports Car Club grabbed the web name and I think have done well off the back of it. From what I can see the regulations for CTCRC have not changed hardly at all since they were CSCC, I converted one of my cars to their regs 12 years ago and apart from the tyres nothing has altered that I can see so not sure where you are coming from there to be honest.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2600127)   #11
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced with what was the CSCC ( Classic Saloon Car Club not Classic Sports Car Club) from the mid 80s in both pre 65 and pre74.
The cars were possibly as close to standard spec as you could get. but everyone wanted to go faster and the rules were altered to suit. Not radically though and I for one cannot understand why the grid sizes have fallen over the last few seasons.,apart from the Classics which thanks to Andy Messham and a few guys have really come on.

In what was the pre 65 class I think you will find that it was actually the HSCC who opened up their series for highly modified cars such as 1500+ Anglias, perspex windows, modern running gear, etc. This diluted what was already there and eventually only a handfull of cars were left.
I recall HSCC also tried to start a 70s series which never really got going.
I agree with Al that the Lydden TV stuff didnt show CTCRC in its proper light, but Im sure he will agree with me that stronger measures for poor driving standards need addressing at times.
PBMW /TTRS have a very good system of naming and shaming bad drivers, but its only as good as the guys making the decisions.

Anyhow please let us see the Commodore when its restored its a shame we dont see them anymore!
Old 15 Dec 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2600140)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I can assure you Andy and anyone else that indeed measures were taken after Lydden and other incidents and will continue to be taken also I understand from our residident CoC that the start proceedure at Lydden that caused a lot of the problems will be altered. Not sure how mind you.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2600176)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Sorry Colin not Andy!
Old 19 Dec 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2602347)   #14
gtmac2008
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Midlands
gtmac2008 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that my post is not answering the question but it will be great to see an Opel Commodore racing in 2010. i can remember watching them racing at Oulton Park and Ingliston in the late 1970s
Old 20 Dec 2009, 12:49 (Ref:2602711)   #15
Blazerteam
Rookie

Blazerteam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it one of these??

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...20Estoril.html
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2602935)   #16
H15HSV
Rookie

This is the car as it was when Jock raced it.
Attached Thumbnails
commordor1.jpg  
Old 21 Dec 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2603283)   #17
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was never fond of Prod saloons in the 80's, thought they where dull compared the puka Grp A cars.
A pair of Opels dispute Paddock hill bend!

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p5271772.html

The same pair at the start, with a 3rd one in 7th

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p5271771.html

Different meeting and one challages who I think is G marshal into Druids.

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p5271775.html
Old 23 Dec 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2604313)   #18
H15HSV
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
The TV unfortunately picked out the worse bits, I raced in two races (yellow Camaro) and never had a single moment of bother. Remember its a bloody tight little circuit and 25 cars funnelling down into Chessons will often mean trouble, maybe the track should have a look at the grid spacing. CSCC was probably Classic Saloon Car Club which changed its name to Classic Touring Car Racing Club (CTCRC)which was a bit confusing and unfortunate because Classic Sports Car Club grabbed the web name and I think have done well off the back of it. From what I can see the regulations for CTCRC have not changed hardly at all since they were CSCC, I converted one of my cars to their regs 12 years ago and apart from the tyres nothing has altered that I can see so not sure where you are coming from there to be honest.
Al I think the reason you did not have any moments of bother was caused by going slow. My lap times in 1991 in my Camaro were quicker than you in 2009 at Lydden (so much for progress) keep trying Al one day you will be as quick as I was.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2604353)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Why don't you get out there and show me how its done then, oh don't tell me, your too old, well I am 61 and will be competing next season at 62 and as for being too old well Les Nash is well into his 70's and still having a go so come lets have you. As it happens in both races at Lydden I got stuck in one gear after the first few laps and even so if i hadn't tried once more to get it into 2nd at the elbow and then couldnt get it back in gear I would have held 4th in the 2nd race and Lydden is not a Camaro circuit. You also obviously missed the start of my 2nd race when I went from 10th on the grid to 4th by the first corner and did'nt hit anyone or they me. BTW as for progress what has that got to do with it? More the depth of your wallet compared to mine in 91 or of course the length of your crank.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 23 Dec 2009 at 19:47.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 19:46 (Ref:2604355)   #20
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He forgets to mention Al that he was running slicks!
Old 23 Dec 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2604359)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well if he is talking about racing in CTCRC the big cars could run the far superior Hoosier, I know that for a fact as I bought a set but never competed, also even the lighter cars were on the Japanese Dunlops and as you know Dave they were far superior to the ones we get now which is why I think a lot of the old lap times are irrelevant.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2604380)   #22
H15HSV
Rookie

As for Lydden not being a Camaro circuit I won outright in 91 I used Goodrich tyres as per the rules in pre 74 then. It certainly was not my wallet there has never been anything in there it must have been sheer driving skill.
As for racing again now no way I got robbed by the RAC and the clubs enough before and as for the Transponder suppliers what a con that was.
Al if you need the spec of my old engine which included s/h pistons and standard pink rods I would be only to pleased to provide it.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2604382)   #23
H15HSV
Rookie

Forgot to mention never blame a component (like could not get gears) it is always down to bad preparation
Old 23 Dec 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2604384)   #24
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
You must be a wonderful driver and I am obviously an oik that I cannot get anywhere near your times doing practically the whole race in third gear and on hard old tyres. The MSA licence is not that expensive, the club memberships are a bit of a bind but you do get something in return and I have only bought one transponder since my return in 2005 and a certian Belgium chappie (not Pioret) who posts here cut me a blinding deal for that. I can assure you the latest Dunlop Formula tyres as anyone who uses them will tell you are a pile of hard old poo. They are harder and grip worse (especially in the wet) than the Falken list 1a tyres I used to run this car on and it was faster on the Falkens. Come on get that Commadore out and pitch against my old 'maro!
Old 23 Dec 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2604388)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Oh come on you are talking crap now I just see your last comment, in the first race a clutch bedded in and I could not disengage after about three or four laps, it was a refurbed triple plate unit how am I meant to foresee that, the 2nd race a bolt dropped out of the gear linkage, never happened before or since one of those things. At least I beat your old car that had to run in Class G with extra ballast curtesy of having an illegal 6.2 litre engine fitted that the guy who bought it unwittingly didnt know about when he purchased it.