Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1593229)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota strategy

In a follow up to Mr V's thread...

Why do Toyota seem to go for grid glory more than play a balanced game. They seem to run an extra stop at almost every circuit. Surely a track like Imola the 2 stop strategy wouldve been the optimum one for a midfield team.
Maurice Hamilton from five live seems to think that this may have something to do with the board in Japan. A grid slot in front of the Honda's (which they still didnt get) is a good headline an with Honda almost certain to get more points this is the only way for now Toyota can battle Honda. So are Toyota so in grossed with beating Honda that they are willing to sacrifice an optimum strategy or are these decisions plain engineering ones?
Old 23 Apr 2006, 23:48 (Ref:1593294)   #2
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
probably a bit of both i would say - ie Honda seem to be playing the grid glory game as well to make sure they outdo not just Toyota, but to state themselves as a top level team...?

but having said this, both teams seem to be ordinary on medium fuel, maybe due to the way the cars go through their tyres, or in their inherent design, so having the cars run lighter through the race may be an engineering issue as well...

though it was stated that 3 stops was the optimum strategy due to the short pit lane - so maybe its just that management at both teams are a bunch of die-hard gamblers?
Old 24 Apr 2006, 05:37 (Ref:1593420)   #3
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
In a follow up to Mr V's thread...

Why do Toyota seem to go for grid glory more than play a balanced game. They seem to run an extra stop at almost every circuit. Surely a track like Imola the 2 stop strategy wouldve been the optimum one for a midfield team.
Maurice Hamilton from five live seems to think that this may have something to do with the board in Japan. A grid slot in front of the Honda's (which they still didnt get) is a good headline an with Honda almost certain to get more points this is the only way for now Toyota can battle Honda. So are Toyota so in grossed with beating Honda that they are willing to sacrifice an optimum strategy or are these decisions plain engineering ones?
Remember Japanese companies are really only interested in beating other Japanese companies in the market they are in ,cars or whatever...
Old 24 Apr 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1593714)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Throughout their existence in F1, Toyota have been qualifying in the positions you'd expect, but falsely. Maybe the qualifying-on-race-fuel thing was their idea, as it allwos them to apepar to be competitive when they aren't? A couple of points should have been on the cards, but it's still embarassing for a team which has spent so much.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1593717)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
So far,Toyota's strategy has been to spend lots of money on not winning.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1594876)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Have been meaning to post this since the thread was started but my F1 Racing mag was out in the car

Just a thought on why Toyota may pick their stratergies.

I quote from F1 Racing Mag

Quote:

Toyota Motorsport chairman and team principal Tsutomu Tomita turns 65 in June, when, In accordance with strict Toyota HR policy, he must retire. Crucially, he has promised a win by then to Yoshiaki Kino****a, director general of Toyota's Higashifuji-based Motorsport Division and the man who gave Tomita-san the job of leading Toyota's F1 assult.

Honour is therefore at stake.

I'm proberbly way off here, but i just wonder if Toyota know they can't win on raw pace, and try a different approach with regards to stratergy?

Last edited by Mr V; 25 Apr 2006 at 20:17.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1594878)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
by me Yoshiaki Kino****a
Just knew that wasn't gonna get past the autocensor

His name is K-i-n-o-s-h-i-t-a
Old 25 Apr 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1594880)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Just knew that wasn't gonna get past the autocensor

His name is K-i-n-o-s-h-i-t-a
fantastic....